Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michelle1970
    • By Michelle1970 23rd May 19, 11:17 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Michelle1970
    Parking fine
    • 23rd May 19, 11:17 AM
    Parking fine 23rd May 19 at 11:17 AM
    Hi

Really wanting some advice as Iíve no idea where else to seek advice.
    Iíve read many other posts and the newbies section and canít find anything thatís in the same situation as mine.

Back in Oct I entered a car park smart parking it was £2 allday I put my money in the machine along with my car reg when receiving the ticket it spat a £1 out and issued me a £1 ticket there was someone not sure they worked at the car park or not but they told me machines been playing up stick in a note in your dash and youíll be fine , with the £1 spat back out I decided to get another £1 to make it £2 I had no other change on me and had taken someone out for the day with severe mental health problems.

I decided not to just only put a note in my window screen but I also rang the company at least 4 times only to lead me to voicemail which I left messages on stating what had happened what time who I am and Which was my car I continued to call but hadnít no luck in speaking to an actual person but in my mind Iíd done my bit as a honest person 2 weeks later I got a fine through the door I appealed it and lost through popla stating id over stayed and paid insufficiently although I paid £2 but separately due to dodgy machine left a cover note and also phone calls.
    Popla said there was no evidence of my calls so I went ahead to obtain a full print out of my bill from my mobile phone company and my MP went ahead and sent it they acknowledged my phone calls seeing proof from my bill but just said to my MP at the end of the day I breached their terms and conditions as I paid for two £1 tickets rather than a £2 allday ticket but it wasnít no my fault that the machine spat my money out and issued me a £1 ticket. Itís not like I went away I put another £1 in to obtain another £1 ticket I just assumed this would be good enough and was told by a memeber of public it would be fine as they had the similar situation.

During the time Iím getting letter from DRP threatening court action if I donít pay £170.

I decided to get my MP involved explained the whole situation she sent off a letter and she also got a letter saying they wouldnít be changing their mind and I must pay no later than 14th May to avoid court proceedings.

I was told by people to ignore it but Iíve constant worry because unlike others I admitted it was me and my car and told them the problem with their machines I just feel they acted maliciously in a way as I phoned up being honest and true to what had happened. To be honest I wish I never bothered but Iím too honest for my own good.

So today Iíve received a letter headtitled Zenith which Iíve researched and found out itís just another header of DRP.

I now have until the 30th May to pay in full £170 but the client is willing to take instalments but do no ignore or court proceeding will take place.

Now this has gone on for a while Iím worried and unsure whether I should keep ignoring or not cause obviously my situation is abit different to all other situations on here I feel like a fool for being honest and thinking that it may go against me even though I donít feel Iím at fault and did everything in my power to explain the situation.

Now Iím at a loss end do I ring up and offer to pay instalments or do I carry on ignoring? Iím full of bad luck and some say I may be paranoid but at end of the day they know who I am they know I admittedly itís my car and I was the driver but they choose to avoid that I was being honest and did everything I could in being an honest person.

The car park has not once commented about their faulty ticket machine itís like theyíre avoiding it.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and thank you
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 23rd May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 39,801 Posts
    • 23,854 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 23rd May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 11:45 AM
    You say you followed the newbies faq

What to do after popla fails is covered in #4;

You ignore everything except a lbcca or court correspondence

If it comes to that then come back for advice on how to defend a court claim at that time
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 23rd May 19, 11:46 AM
    • 3,770 Posts
    • 5,942 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 23rd May 19, 11:46 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 11:46 AM
    Look your situation is no different to anyone elses that gets scammed by these despicable muppets.

You now have two choices one keep on ignoring these scamming idiots at DRP/Zenith, why would anyone pay them for just scaring you?

Or pay them which in out view on here is supporting a scam.

You seem to have covered most things I would wait and see what happens they may try a punt in court, but as you have quite clearly paid the full fee a clued up judge would see through their filthy scam.

Smart aren't very smart anyway, oh and it's not a fine, it's an invoice.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 23rd May 19, 11:59 AM
    • 9,407 Posts
    • 9,918 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 23rd May 19, 11:59 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 11:59 AM
    Hi
    Iíve read many other posts and the newbies section and canít find anything thatís in the same situation as mine.
    Originally posted by Michelle1970

Post 1:2:2 of the Newbies Sticky covers your situation completely...?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 23rd May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 13,907 Posts
    • 14,416 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 23rd May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 12:24 PM
    If you had read the stickies you should know that this is not a fine, it is an invoice for the damage they allege they suffered when allegedly, you breached an alleged contract. We call it as scam. Do not pay them a penny, do not contact them, ignore them unless/until they enter a money claim against you in the County Court. It is A Civil Court and not a big deal..

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    Last edited by The Deep; 23-05-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th May 19, 1:46 AM
    • 74,673 Posts
    • 87,220 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 24th May 19, 1:46 AM
    • 24th May 19, 1:46 AM
    I now have until the 30th May to pay in full £170 but the client is willing to take instalments but do no ignore or court proceeding will take place.
    Don't be a victim, of course you don't pay.

You do realise after reading the NEWBIES thread that ONE EMAIL would have quashed it? We are sooo frustrated people don't just come here first (when they get the fake PCN) and use the template appeal that sees Smart crawl back under their stone.

There was no need to phone them (NEVER PHONE A PPC) and no need for any of this stress.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Michelle1970
    • By Michelle1970 24th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Michelle1970
    • 24th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 24th May 19, 7:51 AM
    Thank you for the advice I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I couldnít see that #4 of the newbies section I am new to this so I apologise for any inconvenience caused if any.

I contacted them on the day of parking simply cause Iím honest Iím going to check out the newbie section again see if I can find this part on there but like I say I am new to this and not 100% clued up on it yet but I am getting there. Again sorry and thank you
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 24th May 19, 7:59 AM
    • 13,907 Posts
    • 14,416 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 24th May 19, 7:59 AM
    • 24th May 19, 7:59 AM
    I contacted them on the day of parking simply cause I’m honest

But they are not, their raison d'etre is to cheat you of your cash. Wise up, and you will not only not pay them a penny, you could cost them money for their hubris. These companies are scum.

Have you complained to your MP yet?

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Michelle1970
    • By Michelle1970 24th May 19, 10:15 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Michelle1970
    • 24th May 19, 10:15 AM
    • 24th May 19, 10:15 AM
    Yes I complained to my MP and she send copies of my phone bill I provided to her as smart was saying there was no clear evidence of my calls even though I’d left voicemails.

Popla now acknowledge the evidence of the calls but say they are not changing their mind the decision is final and that I must pay.

I have continued to ignore and I also received an email from my MP saying that there’s nothing else she can do from her end and I should pay the fine to prevent court action which I have of cause not taken any notice and continue to ignore these letters
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 24th May 19, 10:19 AM
    • 39,801 Posts
    • 23,854 Thanks
    Quentin
    Shame on your MP giving such ignorant bad advice tio a constituent
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th May 19, 10:36 PM
    • 74,673 Posts
    • 87,220 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Popla now acknowledge the evidence of the calls but say they are not changing their mind the decision is final and that I must pay.
    POPLA can't tell people they 'must pay'. Ignore that!

I have continued to ignore and I also received an email from my MP saying that there’s nothing else she can do from her end and I should pay the fine to prevent court action which I have of cause not taken any notice and continue to ignore these letters
    Good.

Come back if they ever try a small claim, and tell Smart in writing if you change address.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 24th May 19, 10:46 PM
    • 24,002 Posts
    • 38,580 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I have continued to ignore and I also received an email from my MP saying that thereís nothing else she can do from her end and I should pay the fine to prevent court action which I have of cause not taken any notice and continue to ignore these letters
    Originally posted by Michelle1970
    Shame on your MP giving such ignorant bad advice tio a constituent
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Why not let everyone know who she is. Name and shame.

She should be made aware of the experience and views that her MP colleague Pete Wishart (SNP Perth) has of Smart Parking, as voiced in the House of Commons!
    "I am sick and tired of receiving emails from people complaining about the behaviour of parking companies, telling me that they will never again visit Perth city centre because of the negative experience they had when they had the misfortune to end up in a car park operated by one of these companies. I have received more complaints about one car park in the city of Perth than about any other issue. That car park is operated by the lone ranger of the parking cowboys: the hated and appalling Smart ParkingóI see that many other Members are unfortunate enough to have Smart Parking operating in their constituencies. It has reached the stage where one member of my staff now spends a good part of each day just helping my constituents and visitors to my constituency to navigate the appeals process.
    Ö
    The BPA does not have the ability to regulate these companies and has shown no sign whatsoever that it is trying to get on top of some of the sharper practices. The BPA gives a veneer of legitimacy to some of the more outlandish rogue operators by including them in their membership, allowing them to continue to operate. The Bill will oblige operators such as Smart Parking to amend their practices."
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Mark2spark
    • By Mark2spark 24th May 19, 11:19 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Mark2spark
    Sending you a virtual hug Michelle, please continue to ignore, they are just bullies sending you threatening letters trying to scare you into paying, I promise you if you follow the advice given here you will not end up paying them a penny
    When you are honest and above board I know there is this temptation to try and contact them and reason it out with them, but really, you might as well ask Mr Scrooge for a pay rise
    • Michelle1970
    • By Michelle1970 26th Jun 19, 11:34 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Michelle1970
    Hi everyone thank you for the replies sorry itís taken me a while to be honest I couldnít find my post 😞.

I will happily name and shame my MP is Louise Haigh Labour.

Iíve also received a letter from Gladstoneís today basically saying itís their clients case that Iím liable for these charges and that there are options client has in order to recover costs from me.

Iím quite upset and stressed about this my family arenít exactly helping me my mum says oh well youíll be blacklisted a friend says let it go to court do you have the tickets you purchased still I said no Iíve no idea where they are but smart parking already acknowledged Iíd made two £1 payments.

If I donít pay within the next 14 days Iíve got to keep them updated with my address etc the right exists for 6 years I could result in increase amount sought in terms of any stator costs and court fees.

Iím really upset and stressed I donít want this or need this I wish I never rang the car park company up on the day explaining what had happened and what Iíd done and who I am I donít feel at fault but then Iím worrying as I have a lot of bad luck nothing has ever gone in my favour and I canít afford to ensnare up paying £100s out itís really getting to me
    • waamo
    • By waamo 26th Jun 19, 11:49 AM
    • 7,103 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    waamo
    Your mum is completely incorrect. You cannot be blacklisted and this does not affect your credit file in any way whatsoever. They only way it can do is if you go to court, lose and then fail to pay in time.
    This space for hire.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 26th Jun 19, 12:05 PM
    • 3,770 Posts
    • 5,942 Thanks
    fisherjim
    If it went to court I wonder what a clued up judge would decide seeing as the scamming PPC have admitted in writing that you paid the correct fee, and you tried so hard to set things right!

You are dealing with despicable greedy scamming muppets, that are trying hard to frighten you, no one knows if they will go further but it's your decision what to do.

The regulars on here are here to help, but can't do much else, but Waamo is correct above.
    • Bluemoon85
    • By Bluemoon85 11th Jul 19, 7:44 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bluemoon85
    Smart parking
    Hi
    I'm New to this forum I have recieved a PCN
    From smart parking today.
    So unsure what to do next?
    Where can I find this newbies thread?

Thanks
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Jul 19, 7:50 PM
    • 24,002 Posts
    • 38,580 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Hi

Thanks
    Originally posted by Bluemoon85
    Hit your back button and you'll see the forum thread list. There are 4 'stickies' permanently 'stuck' at the top of the thread list. The NEWBIES FAQ sticky is one of those.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Jul 19, 7:50 PM
    • 23,395 Posts
    • 29,857 Thanks
    Redx
    Hi

Thanks
    its the third thread down from the top of this forum , so near the top

please start your own thread using the red NEW THREAD BUTTON, top left of this forum , near thaty NEWBIES thread

post your query into it , because people will ignore you in this thread because it is not yours at all

the rule is , one person one thread , so please start your own thread after reading the NEWBIES faq sticky thread

thank you
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 19, 12:49 AM
    • 74,673 Posts
    • 87,220 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Hi
    If you didn't notice that my signature under every reply I make here tells every newbie where to click to find the NEWBIES thread, then please get off the phone and on a laptop and click on the breadcrumb trail at the top of this page, to get back.

We assume people who miss my signature, below, must be on phones.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter