Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jul 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,752Posts
    • 3,968Thanks
    Kim kim
    0 WOW
    Dollar bills
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Dollar bills 11th Jul 19 at 9:18 PM
    Going to a carribean AI in October. Be lovely to have £100 worth of dollar bills for bar/pool tips for drinks served.
    Where can I get that many dollar bills?
    Or even 50.
Page 1
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Jul 19, 9:21 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:21 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:21 PM
    Going to a carribean AI in October. Be lovely to have £100 worth of dollar bills for bar/pool tips for drinks served.
    Where can I get that many dollar bills?
    Or even 50.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    A cashpoint/ATM.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jul 19, 9:27 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:27 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:27 PM
    A cashpoint/ATM.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Not one dollar bills.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Jul 19, 9:36 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:36 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:36 PM
    Not one dollar bills.

Take out cash in their currency and change it up.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jul 19, 9:37 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:37 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:37 PM
    Take out cash in their currency and change it up.
    I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in the uk I could order them.
    I asked in the post office today, but he says he doesnít order in, he gets what denominations heís given.
    • Duckyduck
    • By Duckyduck 11th Jul 19, 9:58 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Duckyduck
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:58 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:58 PM
    Tesco & M&S have always had $1 when I’ve asked. 120 odd pieces of paper is a lot though, maybe just get some and some lowish denominations to break while out there.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Jul 19, 10:09 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:09 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:09 PM
    I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in the uk I could order them.
    I asked in the post office today, but he says he doesn’t order in, he gets what denominations he’s given.
    Why would you waste time and money buying currency, when you can take local currency out for free?

As to the idea of getting other denominations and breaking them up there. That would only work where US$ is the currency. But if the currency is say XC$, you'll get your change in XC$.

So a total waste of time. Just get the local currency when you are out there and tip with that.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jul 19, 11:51 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 11th Jul 19, 11:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 11:51 PM
    Why would you waste time and money buying currency, when you can take local currency out for free?

As to the idea of getting other denominations and breaking them up there. That would only work where US$ is the currency. But if the currency is say XC$, you'll get your change in XC$.

So a total waste of time. Just get the local currency when you are out there and tip with that.
    They use dollars there.
    Pretty sure Iíd be charged to use my card in a dispenser out there.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jul 19, 1:00 AM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:00 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:00 AM
    They use dollars there.
    Pretty sure I’d be charged to use my card in a dispenser out there.
    It honestly gets a bit tiresome writing the same thing.
    If they use US$, take them out of the ATM there.
    If you buy US$ here, you are going to pay for the privilege. You aren't getting them for free.
    Then when you go to change them you will get local currency anyway.
    If you withdraw £100 equivalent over there, even with a poor example of plastic, how much do think you will pay for the equivalent of £100?

We are talking about a difference of perhaps a couple of £s. So no need to drag the thread out over something so minor.

Get yourself some decent plastic going forward. Using the Halifax Clarity to withdraw over there, it would cost you potentially nothing to withdraw locally.
    Same with https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 12th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    US Dollars are good just about everywhere in the Caribbean, the locals will gladly accept them in tips.

Be aware that the policy on some cruise lines is that all cash tips are pooled into a general pot.

ATMs that dispense US $ are very likely to incur a commission or surcharge.

Avoid going into a bank on the islands to get US Dollars with Sterling - they convert into local currency first, then convert that to greenbacks, a double whammy FX transaction.

I made that mistake somewhere or other - and the bank also wanted two official forms of ID, a passport was not enough. Fortunately I had backup ID.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 12-07-2019 at 7:13 AM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Jul 19, 8:10 AM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    eDicky
    Surely the sort of people who regularly receive so many one dollar bills as tips would be happy to change some up for your larger bills, if you ask any of them..?
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 12th Jul 19, 8:19 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    cubegame
    Why bother tipping anyway? It's all inclusive.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 12th Jul 19, 8:23 AM
    • 10,361 Posts
    • 16,066 Thanks
    worried jim
    Why bother tipping anyway? It's all inclusive.
    Originally posted by cubegame
    Slip the bar guy/waiter $20 on your first drink and you wont have to wait for drinks or spend time queueing as he/she will be looking out for you, therefore more time to spend relaxing and enjoying the expensive holiday you have been looking forward to all year.

Life hacks explained.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 12th Jul 19, 8:23 AM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Indout96
    It honestly gets a bit tiresome writing the same thing.
    If they use US$, take them out of the ATM there.
    /

It honestly gets a bit tiresome that you haven't read or understood the OP, they want $1 bills for tips at the bar, I would be 99.9% certain that this is at an AI resort so they are not buying and will not be looking to change them.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jul 19, 1:35 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    It honestly gets a bit tiresome that you haven't read or understood the OP, they want $1 bills for tips at the bar, I would be 99.9% certain that this is at an AI resort so they are not buying and will not be looking to change them.
    Originally posted by Indout96
    Do you imagine that I didn't understand that?
    I imagine only someone deficient would assume that I did not.

It's also interesting that you assume that it is an AI resort. Because if it is a resort, it will be located on a particular island... That island will likely have it's own currency.
    The staff of the AI resort will be happy to receive tips in their own currency.

So which one of us didn't understand?

Another possibility is that it is an AI Caribbean cruise. Here, US$ might be more useful, since the crew can be from anywhere.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Jul 19, 2:17 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 39,631 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I always keep $1 dollar bills in hand- they are useful all over the place (not just Caribbean) because they are the smallest paper notes you get in a major currency.

The last time I bought them from Co-op travel (discounted 'cos I'd booked a holiday there.) and I actually ordered 100 x $1 bills. When I get home I just put them in the drawer with passport for use next time.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6470cc+3045mm (£3.04.5) + RK £8.03
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jul 19, 3:01 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Slip the bar guy/waiter $20 on your first drink and you wont have to wait for drinks or spend time queueing as he/she will be looking out for you, therefore more time to spend relaxing and enjoying the expensive holiday you have been looking forward to all year.

Life hacks explained.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Problem with that, is that they might be looking for the same the next day. If you give them less the next time or nothing, they might think they've done something wrong.
    Better to tip as you go along.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Jul 19, 5:21 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    Kim kim

Life hacks explained.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Itís an enormous AI, 25 bars, a dozen restaurants, lots of pools.
    I wonít be seeing Pedro at the bar everyday.... Iíll be here there and everywhere, Iíll want to sample.

I prefer to tip little and often, Iíll tip the same.

So thanks for the life hack, but itís not my first holiday......
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Jul 19, 5:22 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Problem with that, is that they might be looking for the same the next day. If you give them less the next time or nothing, they might think they've done something wrong.
    Better to tip as you go along.
    Plus In a huge place you’ll come into contact with loads of different people.
    I’d rather give a dollar with each round served - every time - every different waiter/ess.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Jul 19, 5:23 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I always keep $1 dollar bills in hand- they are useful all over the place (not just Caribbean) because they are the smallest paper notes you get in a major currency.

The last time I bought them from Co-op travel (discounted 'cos I'd booked a holiday there.) and I actually ordered 100 x $1 bills. When I get home I just put them in the drawer with passport for use next time.
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    Thanks - so I can order them via the co op travel - thank you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,674Users online

Martin's Twitter