Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamCo
    • By SamCo 11th Jul 19, 11:02 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    SamCo
    Artificial Grass or Patio
    • 11th Jul 19, 11:02 AM
    Artificial Grass or Patio 11th Jul 19 at 11:02 AM
    Hi guys,

What would be a better investment. Artificial Grass or a Patio. It's for the front of my house and there will be no use of the space apart from looking nice.
Page 1
    • Dedekind
    • By Dedekind 11th Jul 19, 3:47 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Dedekind
    • 11th Jul 19, 3:47 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 3:47 PM
    It's so personal really. I would never ever go with artificial grass because to me it looks.. artificial.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 11th Jul 19, 4:06 PM
    • 4,317 Posts
    • 3,800 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 11th Jul 19, 4:06 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 4:06 PM
    It's so personal really. I would never ever go with artificial grass because to me it looks.. artificial.
    Originally posted by Dedekind
    Couldn't agree more. It's a very personal choice, and personally I'm of the same opinion as regards artificial grass. But some people love it.

Another option to consider - and this again depends entirely on your circumstances - is gravel. It's a little bit more work to maintain, in that you'll inevitably get a few weeds, even with weed-proof membrane underneath. But it's often recommended as a slight burglar-deterrent, as it's difficult to walk over it without making a noise.

You may need to consider rainwater, whatever option you choose. I know some areas have laws that say such-and-such a percentage of the area must be water-permeable. If everything is covered with non-porous surfaces, the rainwater can't soak in to the ground, and so contributes to flood problems. This may not be an issue, but it may be worth just a quick check on your local council's planning website to see if there are any restrictions.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Jul 19, 4:25 PM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 7,291 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 11th Jul 19, 4:25 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 4:25 PM
    Top of the range artificial grass is very difficult to distinguish from the real thing. A house down the road from us had it laid, and it was only in very hot weather when 'real' grass started to brown, that I realised it was artificial.
    I would probably still go for patio, as it's a bit more versatile for use.
    The sub-base for artificial grass would be just as permeable as a decent base laid for gravel.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 11th Jul 19, 4:39 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    keith969
    • 11th Jul 19, 4:39 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 4:39 PM
    Originally posted by Dedekind
    +1

Why have artificial grass? Have paving, gravel, whatever. The world needs less plastic.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jul 19, 4:46 PM
    • 36,624 Posts
    • 22,551 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 11th Jul 19, 4:46 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 4:46 PM
    How big an area?

If not being used why not some planting that is relatively low maintenance.
    • 8ofspades
    • By 8ofspades 11th Jul 19, 5:15 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    8ofspades
    • 11th Jul 19, 5:15 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 5:15 PM
    Better investment in terms of what? If it's for resale, I would avoid artificial grass.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 11th Jul 19, 10:18 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:18 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:18 PM
    My parents next door has artificial grass... he hoovers it about every 3 days!

If there's not going to be much use of the area why don't you go for a rockary type area with gravel and a few low maintenance plants?
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th Jul 19, 10:43 PM
    • 4,463 Posts
    • 7,145 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:43 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:43 PM
    Artificial grass isn’t maintenance free! It needs to be cleaned or bits of soil gather and real grass and/or moss start to grow ...
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 12th Jul 19, 6:24 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Grenage
    The cost of artifical grass can pay for a lot of grass cuts. I've never seen an artificial lawn that didn't look like an artificial lawn. I'd opt for sazaccount's suggestion and plant for low maintenance.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Jul 19, 8:25 AM
    • 28,727 Posts
    • 100,694 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hard landscaping or artificial grass on their own don't 'look nice;' they just appear soulless and boring, advertising to the world that someone with little or no imagination lives in the house.

Planting alongside hard landscaping works much better. Backbone shrubs like rosemary and bay take very little maintenance and you can cook with them too! Add a few rockery/small perennials, depending on the size of the area, and there will be a bit of colour and interest there much of the year.

Why is it people often don't plant anything until they come to sell, then start thinking about kerb-appeal, so whip out and buy some annuals and stick them in pots? This shows they know it makes a difference. And it's not like it's rocket science to have a bit of nature working for you 24/7 x 365.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • ic
    • By ic 12th Jul 19, 9:02 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    ic
    Over the last year I've replaced both the front and rear lawns of my house with artificial grass. It isn't maintenance free, but rather maintenance vastly reduced. A few times a year I'll vac it with the garden vac, and tiny weeds can take hold during winter but they're easy to just whip round and pick up.

As per the comments above, my grass stands alongside the drive at the front and the patio at the back, and I have fully planted beds. It all works together to make a nice environment.

Do get lots of samples online - the quality really varies, and ultimately you do get what you pay for. Make sure you sand the grass afterwards too, as this helps to stand it up after being rolled flat.

Mine is this - https://fyldegrass.co.uk/product/cheshire-artificial-grass/, they sell on ebay and both times I bought when ebay had a 10 or 20% off everything day on.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,496Users online

Martin's Twitter