PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant damaged house with satellite TV installation

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Was the deposit protected?

If yes, get a quote to have it fixed and deduct from deposit.
    I hope there's photographic check-in and -out records for when the ex-tenant inevitably takes it to arbitration.

Reluctantly, OP, I think you're going to have to take this one on the chin.

The main question has to be why, if there was already a dish installed and wired, the tenant removed it and fitted another so badly. If there was a problem with the existing dish, why not simply raise it with the landlord/agent? And why, if replacing the dish, would the wiring need to be replaced...?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cuilean wrote: »
    As an unintentional landlord (I've inherited a property and its tenant from my late grandfather), I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

A bit off topic but your not really an unintentional landlord when the tenant moved in after you were given POA and your even named on the documents!.

If you didn't want to be a landlord you could have stopped the tenant from moving in.
    My sister and I are named on the agreement as landlords, even though my grandfather owned the property. We took over my grandfather's affairs with a power of attorney when he developed dementia, and let the agent know. The tenant moved in not long after we were awarded PoA, so I guess the agent took the opportunity to re-word the contract with our names.
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The main question has to be why, if there was already a dish installed and wired, the tenant removed it and fitted another so badly. If there was a problem with the existing dish, why not simply raise it with the landlord/agent? And why, if replacing the dish, would the wiring need to be replaced...?

Wouldn't surprise me if they took down the SKY dish and put up a larger generic one to get certain overseas channels for free
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 July 2018 at 1:07AM
    Did the agent establish that the previous dish was in place when this tenant started her tenancy? I wonder if a previous tenant removed it and the last tenant had to put a new one in. Its what happened to me (as the incoming tenant). Just bare wires left instead of a dish. I had to get Sky to completely reinstall. This had happened before also.

The fact that an internal concrete render was in place is actually not the tenants fault. You might have problems establishing that the tenant had no right to reinstall a satellite connection if it was removed by a previous tenant.

To be honest, one would have thought the place might need redecorating anyway by now. You are getting an income for a house you didn't pay for, whatever the 'ethics' of the situation. It might be less hassle to just have the room repaired and painted as a fresh start now you are getting an income from it. To be honest, while restricting putting holes in walls does appear sometimes in tenancy agreements, I suspect you are not going to keep tenants for long as it will feel like they are living in a shabby hotel with little ability to make it feel like their home. Leaving wallpaper in place rather than a painted easy to repair covering was your choice. I know when I lived in a private rental it was a bind to not be able to paint my son's room in colours of his choice. It just never felt like my home. His face when I was finally able to give him a room he wanted!

You might need to take a step back and view the rental as a business with repainting needed every few years and be practical, or sell it and pocket the money.

I did put a tv on a wall, and did repair it before I left, it wasn't a big job. Again, not the tenants fault you have this concrete render.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    My sister and I are named on the agreement as landlords, even though my grandfather owned the property. We took over my grandfather's affairs with a power of attorney when he developed dementia, and let the agent know. The tenant moved in not long after we were awarded PoA, so I guess the agent took the opportunity to re-word the contract with our names.

Naively, we never asked to see the contract, and only received a copy of it last week when the solicitor handling the estate demanded it. We'd left the agent to deal with things. If I could kick myself any harder over this, I'd need hospitalisation :(

You were not the landlord UNTIL your grandfather died and you inherited. Up to that point you were an agent of your grandfather albeit with more powers than an agent would normally have. Your grandfather was still the landlord and the agent should not have named you as the landlord unless it was made clear that you were the landlords attorney. It may bring into question whether the contract and its conditions were valid or not.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thank you, that gave me a laugh. I hope the tenant doesn't think I'm a knob. She made a lot of requests, and I said yes to all of them, apart from the TV bracket one.

You'd have to go some way to be as big a knob as this landlord.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4815888
    You make an interesting point about whether the tenant was told not to drill holes. She emailed the agent to ask about wall mounting TVs, who forwarded her email to me (Minus her contact details). I replied to the agent via email, but then followed up with a phone call to him, where the agent told me he'd explained this to the tenant, and she was disappointed because she really wanted to wall mount all her TVs, but accepted my reasons. This indicated to me that she had been told by the agent, but I see now where you're coming from. Do I trust the agent to have actually told her?

My plan for Monday was indeed to ring the aforementioned agent and ask for deductions from the deposit money. However, as a relative noob to this game, I wasn't sure how to get the ball rolling. Hence the "Help me, MSE, you're my only hope" post ;)

You might find G_M's Guide to Deposits: Payment, protection and return useful.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Definitely something you can claim back from the deposit and likely to get back, but before you go down that route, make sure the process to protect the deposit was done properly or it will massively backfire.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Hands up who else has just spent an enjoyable half hour reading Pixie's thread about her ex-landlady???

Pixie you're a quare geg (as we'd say in Norn Iron).
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I am still trying to work out how they managed to drill a square hole.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    ariba10 wrote: »
    I am still trying to work out how they managed to drill a square hole.

I doubt they did (never seen one for concrete), but feel free to google square hole drill bit, youtube might mave some fun videos too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure