Top Cashback Cards Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    geoff_ss wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that the MSE cashback page, doesn't highlight that with Aqua cashback, if your account goes a few pence over their tiny credit limit, then all the cashback that you've earned for your whole year's use gets confiscated (on top of their large overdrawn fine).
    But why should they? Each card account comes with its own terms and conditions. And you did read the T+Cs, didn't you?
    So if they offer you £250 limit, it would take an dedicated accountancy mind to try to build your monthly spend close to that £250 (in an attempt to earn as much of the maximum £1.25 cashback as possible), without going a penny over.
    Not really. Just spend within the limit.
    They're also unlikely to ever offer a higher limit over time ... Aqua aren't interested in customers who pay their full balance each month, they want to snare permanently indebted punters, who they can keep surcharging.
    Nonsense. My limit is much higher than yours. From time to time, Aqua have offered me a credit limit increase. I have paid Aqua precisely nothing in fees or interest.
    From my experience, Aqua card's low credit limits, & its cashback confiscation clause, makes Aqua simply not worth the effort.
    From my experience, the Aqua card is very useful, with 0.5% cashback including abroad and practical credit limits.
  • Livy
    Livy Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not seen the NatWest / rbs reward cards mentioned here.
    They pay 0.5% everywhere and 1% in supermarkets.
    It does come with an annual fee of £24 which depending on how much your supermarket spend is could easily be absorbed.
    Or the fee is waived if you hold one of there reward accounts.
    The reward account is £2 month and pays 2% on your bills.
    Also have selected retailers with additional cashback.
    The money is moved in to a separate reward account.
    And can transfer to your bank account as cash.
    Or can also trade up with vouchers for certain retailers.
    Eg Currys is available £50 for £45 at the moment.
  • basiaking
    basiaking Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Can't see it mentioned on this thread but Amazon credit card now gives you 3 points on £2 spent at Amazon if you have Amazon Prime membership. This is equivalent to 1.5% in Amazon vouchers.
  • milleniumaire
    Options
    Unfortunately, it appears that only the Amex cashback card is supported by Google Pay (or Samsung Pay) for contactless payments. It's about time the other card companies joined the 21st century!
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2018 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Guys- built up a wee balance of 40k points on Amex Gold CC but need to cancel this while it's still fresh in my memory.......do i need to redeem points before i cancel??

Also, i assume it's still 6 months till you can re-apply??

thanks in advance
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    johnbhoy10 wrote: »
    Guys- built up a wee balance of 40k points on Amex Gold CC but need to cancel this while it's still fresh in my memory.......do i need to redeem points before i cancel??

Also, i assume it's still 6 months till you can re-apply??

thanks in advance

Yes to both
  • johnbhoy10
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Yes to both

thanks.

need to read up on avios or it's voucher time!!!:cool:
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    If you are planning on converting to Avios, then consider referring yourself for the BAPP card. It has an annual fee of £195 but you can cancel early and get a pro rata refund. 9000 MRs for referring yourself and 26000 Avios for spending £3000 in 3 months.

The BAPP card is definitely worth getting if you plan to take a long haul business class flight with a companion, as you get a two for one voucher if you spend £10K in a year. The voucher is valid two years.

Before you get rid of the Amex PRGC, did you get a supplementary card on the account (for a partner or family member). This usually gets you a 3000 MR bonus. No spend necessary on the supplementary card.

Amex also have a "Companion" credit card that accompanies the PRGC charge card. This comes with a 5000 MR bonus if you spend £500 on the "Companion" credit card in three months. It is not guaranteed. Some people have reported that they have not received the bonus as this is meant to be a targetted offer. But many people, including me, have received it. https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-companion/#GoldCreditCardbenefits

For more tips, see https://www.headforpoints.com
  • johnbhoy10
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    If you are planning on converting to Avios, then consider referring yourself for the BAPP card. It has an annual fee of £195 but you can cancel early and get a pro rata refund. 9000 MRs for referring yourself and 26000 Avios for spending £3000 in 3 months.

The BAPP card is definitely worth getting if you plan to take a long haul business class flight with a companion, as you get a two for one voucher if you spend £10K in a year. The voucher is valid two years.

Before you get rid of the Amex PRGC, did you get a supplementary card on the account (for a partner or family member). This usually gets you a 3000 MR bonus. No spend necessary on the supplementary card.

Amex also have a "Companion" credit card that accompanies the PRGC charge card. This comes with a 5000 MR bonus if you spend £500 on the "Companion" credit card in three months. It is not guaranteed. Some people have reported that they have not received the bonus as this is meant to be a targetted offer. But many people, including me, have received it. https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-companion/#GoldCreditCardbenefits

For more tips, see https://www.headforpoints.com

Thanks so much for this mate.....will def look into that BAPP card.

With regards to the Gold Card what i did was apply and got the wife straight on as an additional holder during the application. Then with the 20k reached i referred her with me as the additional and we're currently working towards that. I got my additional 9k or so from an extra referral for a mate, hence the 40k balance.

I've heard of headforpoints and will have to have a closer look at.

Once again...thanks a lot.

Much appreciated.
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2018 at 5:25PM
    Options
    just on to thank @Nick_C as i got my Companion card for the PRGC and will advise if i get the points as i'm aware that it's not a guarantee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure