Car Warranty and the competency of a dealer?

Comments

• verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    Sometimes it works sometimes is doesn't. The location isn't a factor.
    I've been driving autos for about 20 years and I've never found one that doesn't hold on a hill, even my old 206 some 15 years hold would hold rock steady on any hill. Surly any auto should work like that?

Hill hold assist is where you have an electronic hand brake which hold the car for a couple of seconds when you pull away. You are now saying the auto gearbox doesn’t hold the car. It looks like Peugeot 208 models of that age had the EGC automatic gearbox which basically a robotised manual gearbox with a clutch. They do not hold the car on gradient as it would mean slipping the clutch.

It sounds like you have driven auto cars with more traditional torque converter gearboxes which will hold on a gradient. You will need to use a different technique to drive the 208
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Greta_Sharbo Posts: 349 Forumite
    So as long as a dealer can avoid the issue they push it out of warranty and then charge for a fix?

The fix in this case; new gearbox £4500, diags £150, reloading the ECU's £150

So rather than them doing under warranty and it costing them, I now have to pay. Great scam for the dealer...

That's not what was said.

You still have your consumer rights. The warranty expiring (or being unavailable for any other reason) does not remove those.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    verityboo wrote: »
    Hill hold assist is where you have an electronic hand brake which hold the car for a couple of seconds when you pull away. You are now saying the auto gearbox doesn’t hold the car. It looks like Peugeot 208 models of that age had the EGC automatic gearbox which basically a robotised manual gearbox with a clutch. They do not hold the car on gradient as it would mean slipping the clutch.

It sounds like you have driven auto cars with more traditional torque converter gearboxes which will hold on a gradient. You will need to use a different technique to drive the 208

The manual and customer care says it should hold on any gradient of 3% or more?? And sometimes it will, most of the time it won't?
  • Jon_01
    That's not what was said.

You still have your consumer rights. The warranty expiring (or being unavailable for any other reason) does not remove those.

I appreciate that isn't what you said. The fact that the dealer was unable or unwilling to fix the issue is the problem. I agree if the original owner had been more proactive this wouldn't be a problem down the line.
    But the fact is that the dealer choice/or was not able to preform a proper fix and that the warranty has expired Peugeot expect to make a lot of money fixing it. As the fault was there 9 months from new it was there during the warranty period and therefore should be properly fixed under that warranty?
  • verityboo
    The manual and customer care says it should hold on any gradient of 3% or more?? And sometimes it will, most of the time it won't?

So the problem is that the rear brakes do not hold for up to 2 seconds on a slope (which is the hill hold assist). The auto gearbox will not hold on a slope. Have you checked on a VIN check site the spec of the car and whether is definitely had the feature fitted? Perhaps the brakes are a bit sticky and have held the car a couple of times and need a service?

Have you tried asking about the issue on a Peugeot forum as such places usually have a wealth of knowledge and could probably advise if it is a common problem
  • Jon_01
    So the problem is that the rear brakes do not hold for up to 2 seconds on a slope (which is the hill hold assist). The auto gearbox will not hold on a slope. Have you checked on a VIN check site the spec of the car and whether is definitely had the feature fitted? Perhaps the brakes are a bit sticky and have held the car a couple of times and need a service?

Have you tried asking about the issue on a Peugeot forum as such places usually have a wealth of knowledge and could probably advise if it is a common problem

I've spoken with an advisor at Peugeot customer care who has spoken with the brand manager for 208's. He states that all of the auto models in the range have the feature and it can not be switched off. They are not ware of any issues effecting the range (they say) and that it's a fault.

I've checked with a local garage that specialize in fixing auto and replacing their gearboxes. They say it's needs a new box, but that they've given up even trying to fix Peugeots and even the main dealer they use can't fix some of the problems.
  • verityboo
    What is the problem with the gearbox? The auto gearbox will not hold on a slope as its an automated manual
  • Jon_01
    What is the problem with the gearbox? The auto gearbox will not hold on a slope as its an automated manual

OK, then I'm totally confused?

I'm only going on what the manual and CS say.
    Pdf of manual here, take a look at page 130; https://www.autoeurope.com/peugeot-fleet/documents/208.pdf

It says it should hold for around 2 seconds, long enough to move your foot from brake to acc. But it won't. The moment you take your foot off the brake it rolls back.

CS says it's a fault as do the local garage. Who also say the only fix is a new box???
  • verityboo
    OK, then I'm totally confused?

I'm only going on what the manual and CS say.
    Pdf of manual here, take a look at page 130; https://www.autoeurope.com/peugeot-fleet/documents/208.pdf

It says it should hold for around 2 seconds, long enough to move your foot from brake to acc. But it won't. The moment you take your foot off the brake it rolls back.

CS says it's a fault as do the local garage. Who also say the only fix is a new box???

That system on page 130 you have linked to is a feature where the brakes hold the car for up to a couple of seconds so you don't roll when pulling away.

It makes sense if it is fitted to automatic versions of the 208 as standard because the automated manual gearbox will not allow the clutch to remain partially engaged to hold the car. (It will not hold the car or allow it to creep like a traditional torque converter auto gearbox). It also seems to be increasingly common on manual cars these days

As it is the brakes which are not holding the car I think the garage needs to give you a very good explanation as to why the are saying you need a new gearbox?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As said. We have a Picasso which I assume has the same hill holder. (though manual)
    The brakes hold the car to allow you to power away without rolling back.
    The gearbox isnt involved in this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport