Car released from garage without authority

Comments

• Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    this story sounds like a elaborate insurance fraud from where im sat
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    another wind up
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Muscle750 wrote: »

Car Insurance generally excludes theft where there is an element of deception involved
  • I did not instruct him to take it - I actually informed the dealer to only deal with myself, and specifically not the transport company concerned
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    It is - but Taking Without the Owner's Consent (TWOC) is a distinct offence, one that doesn't require proving the intent to permanently deprive.

<nods> And the police, obviously.

I have informed the police. They are not sure if civil or criminal ?? Surely criminal, as it has been taken without my consent, and maybe a touch of fraud as he showed them photo of log book (which he had from me for when he recovered back to uk) and told them I had authorised him

Total incompetence and neglect on dealers part
  • Muscle750 wrote: »

How can you even think this has anything to do with insurance fraud, when I'm not even informing my insurance company
    I am dealing with this outside of my insurance with the police and the delaership
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,376
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Are you in some sort of dispute with the transport company - have you paid them ?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,180
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How can you even think this has anything to do with insurance fraud, when I'm not even informing my insurance company
    That sounds like the very definition of fraud!

You are withholding information (which you are contractually obliged to provide) with the intention of obtaining lower future premiums.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Forumite
    Let's sum up:

You're "living" in France with a Landrover that requires some work to be done by a UK dealer and just so happen to know a guy that will transport it back for you.

You let this apparent stranger stay at yours, not once but twice (possibly more?). Who does this?

He delivers your LR without issue, presumably he's been paid? You then get him to deliver your second car back to the UK so that your insurer can assess it. Again he delivers this OK, to where exactly?

Out of the blue, you decide that you no longer trust the guy but instead of cancelling the delivery job for some reason you decide to contact the dealership that holds your LR and tell them not to deal with him, then for no apparent reason he turns up and collect your car. Really!

Finally, instead of actually doing the most obvious and sensible thing and contact the transport guy to see where your car is at and why he picked it up you decide to go straight to the police and to top that off, not involve your insurer.

OP, are your really expecting us to believe any of this?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    Forumite
    I did not instruct him to take it - I actually informed the dealer to only deal with myself, and specifically not the transport company concerned
    You're still not telling us the full story - why would the haulage company risk going to collect the vehicle which they'd already had possession of ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure