Bank account closed got cifas 6 marker

Hello, i am new here so i will try to be very short. I have read most of the threads and still need help!!!.
I had lloyds current account for 10 years. On 30th of june 2018 the person i work for transferred £4000 into my account. He had my bank details as he used to send me my wages. Ok so he didnt inform me that day l but next morning he was calling me early morning saying withdraw £4000 from your account as i will come to pick them up. And if cashier ask about the money just tell them you need this money for yourself or whatever. Ok so I withdrew this money the cashier took photocopy of my id (driving license). Ok and i gave all this money to this person (my boss). Its a small company women’s fashion clothing shop. Ok so in next week i see my online transactions suspended and month later i got letter that we are closing your account blah blah and cifas cat 6 will be on your credit file for 6 years. Bank said i have fraud money in my account the person is not helping me at all clearing my name. Bank is not listning. I spoke action Fraud online got ref. Got cifas protective registration for £20 for 2 years. I didnt go to CAB. Will consider it . So any suggestions who will listen to me now? Bank thinks i am fraudulent i think i am victim. Any same thing happened to aNybody please reply thanks

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,968
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What makes you think the bank will listen. At best you were naive and the bank doesn't need to give you an account.
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The bank have acted quite correctly as they have identified suspicious activity on your account, and probably quite rightly given your account of things. Banks have a duty to act to prevent and report money laundering. If banks fail to act there are big penalties including prison.

The fact your friend is asking you to lie about the money rings alarm bells.

Also I don't think you'll have a snowballs chance in hell in getting it removed or doing any mainstream banking in the foreseeable future.
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    BTW the closure of the account maybe the least of your worries as you may have committed a couple of money laundering offences yourself, and the bank may well have reported this.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591
    First Post
    Forumite
    In accordance with strict EU legislation, the bank has a legal obligation to ensure that funds obtained through illegitimate means are not passed through the finance network using their services.

You, as the account holder, should have immediately reported the £4000 transfer to the bank if it was not sent out of legitimate grounds e.g outstanding wages or receiving funds for a sale. This would have allowed the bank to investigate the funds and avoid penalizing you.

From the moment it was withdrawn, you committed an act of money laundering, therefore their decision to close the account and file a CIFAS report was correct and of standard procedure.

As the bank have not made a mistake, there is almost no chance of a waiver. The banking industry must take this kind of offence seriously to avoid the penalties previously mentioned above.

There are alternative methods of financing out there for people who cannot obtain a mainstream bank account, however it is much harder than conventional means.

I would avoid making an application for another bank. The first reason is that the bank are almost certain to refuse the application, due to the fraud mark and secondly, if you avoid putting yourself on different banking databases, in 6 years time, you can open an account with another provider without a problem. If you start getting declined by different banks on the grounds of fraud, they may continue to be reluctant to open an account for you, even after the marker expires, as banks save application and decision information in their system, often longer than the minimum requirement of 6 years.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • Why did the bank shut his account? If the person has had money transferred to their account what!!!8217;s the issue?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 8:42PM
    Why did the bank shut his account? If the person has had money transferred to their account what!!!8217;s the issue?

Maybe the money was transferred from an account the bank were aware of and since the OP withdrew the exact amount they closed the account.

Most likely more to it as fwor has explained below.

Something similar is where the victim gets a cut of the moeny, in this case the victim is a money mule.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,806
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 8:44PM
    Why did the bank shut his account? If the person has had money transferred to their account what!!!8217;s the issue?

What you see from the OP is only half the story. We can only guess about the other half, but whatever the reason, the transfer into the OP's account has been marked as fraudulent.

It could be something as simple as his "boss" selling something to someone and then not delivering it, or it could be something more complicated - we just don't know.

Whatever, if someone wants to use your bank account to accept a payment and then wants you to immediately withdraw it and give it to them as cash, you should ask them to give you a good reason why, and you would need to be sure that it is 100% legal.

Then again, the whole thing might just be a fabrication, made up by "Asimbaba" because he's bored...
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Asimbaba wrote: »
    On 30th of jun 2018

in next week i see my online transactions suspended and month later i got letter that we are closing your account blah blah and cifas cat 6 will be on your credit file for 6 years.

Considering it's only the 6th July today. Your timeline looks somewhat adrift.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Asimbaba wrote: »
    Hello, i am new here so i will try to be very short. I have read most of the threads and still need help!!!.
    I had lloyds current account for 10 years. On 30th of june 2018 the person i work for transferred £4000 into my account. He had my bank details as he used to send me my wages. Ok so he didnt inform me that day l but next morning he was calling me early morning saying withdraw £4000 from your account as i will come to pick them up. And if cashier ask about the money just tell them you need this money for yourself or whatever. Ok so I withdrew this money the cashier took photocopy of my id (driving license). Ok and i gave all this money to this person (my boss). Its a small company women’s fashion clothing shop. Ok so in next week i see my online transactions suspended and month later i got letter that we are closing your account blah blah and cifas cat 6 will be on your credit file for 6 years. Bank said i have fraud money in my account the person is not helping me at all clearing my name. Bank is not listning. I spoke action Fraud online got ref. Got cifas protective registration for £20 for 2 years. I didnt go to CAB. Will consider it . So any suggestions who will listen to me now? Bank thinks i am fraudulent i think i am victim. Any same thing happened to aNybody please reply thanks

Category 6 is First Party Fraud; Criminal fraud by the account holder. The bank most likely thinks you've stolen £4k from your employer. Put it this way; you probably can't prove that you handed over £4k in cash to your boss.

If what you say is true, perhaps it should be Category 7 Aiding and Abetting, as in aiding and abetting money laundering and/or fraud by your boss.

What does your boss have to say? Do you still have a job?
  • fwor wrote: »
    What you see from the OP is only half the story. We can only guess about the other half, but whatever the reason, the transfer into the OP's account has been marked as fraudulent.

It could be something as simple as his "boss" selling something to someone and then not delivering it, or it could be something more complicated - we just don't know.

Whatever, if someone wants to use your bank account to accept a payment and then wants you to immediately withdraw it and give it to them as cash, you should ask them to give you a good reason why, and you would need to be sure that it is 100% legal.

Then again, the whole thing might just be a fabrication, made up by "Asimbaba" because he's bored...

Oh right I’m a bit naive then. I was thinking the banks were closing accounts and I needed to open an online one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure