Iphone completely dead - where do I stand?

Options

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    We are well aware of that. The point is that your free phone is at EE's discretion, it's not your 'right' under any unspecified consumer law.
    Should a similar situation arise again, you may not get the same good result.
    Your new phone may well be a refurb.
    EE would look pretty silly going to court having sold a phone with a 2 year contract and it not lasting 2 years, I think that would be a good definition of 'not fit for purpose', and not lasting a reasonable length of time.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    EE would look pretty silly going to court having sold a phone with a 2 year contract and it not lasting 2 years, I think that would be a good definition of 'not fit for purpose', and not lasting a reasonable length of time.

There'd be nothing silly about defending a case where the law is on their side.
  • boatman
    edited 29 April 2018 at 9:22PM
    Options
    There'd be nothing silly about defending a case where the law is on their side.
    How would the law be on their side? Obviously provided you haven't damaged your phone yourself of course, that doesn't appear to be the case here.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Haven't we been over this??

Just because a contract lasts 24 months doesn't mean a warranty does, whether some people think it should or not. The contract length is for the air time, not the phone.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    This to me is another reason to avoid Apple.

A lot, admittedly not all, or the other manufacturers give a 2 year warranty with their phones. I know Samsung do, and my current handset, a Huawei, comes with a 2 year warranty too.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • boatman
    Options
    Haven't we been over this??

Just because a contract lasts 24 months doesn't mean a warranty does, whether some people think it should or not. The contract length is for the air time, not the phone.
    An Apple standard warranty doesn't cover it, its only 12 months for iPhone, but consumer law could well cover it provided you go through the appropriate steps.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This to me is another reason to avoid Apple.

A lot, admittedly not all, or the other manufacturers give a 2 year warranty with their phones. I know Samsung do, and my current handset, a Huawei, comes with a 2 year warranty too.

1 year or 2 year warranty is neither here or there it comes down to working within the consumer rights act 2015 which all retailers have to adhere to. Within that act there are time frames that will either put the burden on the retailer or the consumer.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Your not getting any more protection if a company slaps on a sticker or promotes saying 1 year or 2 year warranty.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    1 year or 2 year warranty is neither here or there it comes down to working within the consumer rights act 2015 which all retailers have to adhere to. Within that act there are time frames that will either put the burden on the retailer or the consumer.

Your not getting any more protection if a company slaps on a sticker or promotes saying 1 year or 2 year warranty.

Agreed, but it makes it a lot easier when they say they have a 2 year warranty, it shows a certain amount of willingness on the half of the manufacturer and you don't have to jump through hoops just to get them to fix the problem.

And yes, on a couple of occasions (not for phones) I have had to jump through hoops to get people to do as they should just because the warranty/guarantee has run out.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agreed, but it makes it a lot easier when they say they have a 2 year warranty, it shows a certain amount of willingness on the half of the manufacturer and you don't have to jump through hoops just to get them to fix the problem.

And yes, on a couple of occasions (not for phones) I have had to jump through hoops to get people to do as they should just because the warranty/guarantee has run out.

Well if in the past you have bought a faulty Apple Product and had to jump through hoops to get them to fix it and it was not to your standard then by all means take your business elsewhere. But the warranty thing is meaningless as no Company can please every customer and the consumer rights act is there to try and resolve the issue so that both the retailer and the customer can move on from the unfortunate incident :)
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    john22 wrote: »

That's plainly not correct. Your link outlines the legal position but there is absolutely nothing there which suggests a product should last more than it's one-year warranty. The six years I have seen mis-interpreted on here is clearly labelled for what it's always been - 6 years to commence legal procedings but absolutely nothing to do with how long a given product should last. A two year warranty does give you an enforceable claim within two years of purchase (not use - also misinterpreted on here sometimes). A one-year warranty only protects you contracturally for one year. A Huge difference which would potewntially affect my own buying decision.

In any case, all manufacturers often apply a get-out when it comes to it that the owner has damaged the phone, thus voiding the warranty. Personally, it's unlikely I'd pay up to £1,000 for a phone which is unlikely to last more than a year or two and is easily damaged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure