Help credit card Fraud

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    SunDun111 wrote: »
    First of can i just say he did it without me knowing, and I dont want to give his name away because I don't know what the bank would do? even though hes my ex-friend I still dont want to ruin the guy.

You've not read my reply. I suggest you do.

But carry on being wishy washy about this and you could end up with no banking facilities and a CIFAS fraud marker that stops you getting replacement facilities.
  • I read your reply just now sorry! so is it ok if i just cancel the investigation? wouldnt they ask why, if so i will do that tommorow
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They might ask why, explain that you have discovered that it was not fraudulent, if they keep asking then say you would rather not say any more but that you have changed the PIN (you have haven't you?) and it is no longer at risk.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    I think that what must be done is for the OP to contact the bank, apologise and say that they completely forgot about making the withdrawal. Nothing more. That should be an end to the matter.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    A few weeks ago, someone used my PIN number and took 240 pounds out of my account, I rang my bank when i found out in the morning, and they was investigating as it occured at a tesco close to where i live, i then discovered my friend stole it and took the money out, he gave me the cash back. I didnt know what to say to the bank so i have carried on letting them investigate, as my friends said it would look strange if i cancelled the investigation, they just said the bank wouldnt refund me, but the bank keeps calling me, i dont know what to do? What if they say i have acted fraudulently which is a criminal offence, i am a bit nervous any help? I just assumed they would of told me by no they cant refund me.
    At this point, they would be right, you are acting fraudulently. If they work out what has happened expect a fraud marker and to be frozen out of the mainstream financial system for years.

You need to involve the police, give the crime number to your bank, and explain what happened.

Hiding fraudulent activity is never going to be a good idea.
  • John-K_3
    i am a bit confused, first off its a student account and my friend (whos not my friend anymore) gave the money back, but if i tell the bank the truth do i have to give his name? couldnt i just say it was a mistake and my friend did it when he was drunk, i was just assuming the bank would drop the case? i am really confused and havent actually done anything wrong? If the bank continue to investigate could i actually get done for fraud because they cant really prove ive been fraudulent?
    Of course you’ve done something wrong. You allowed your pin to be compromised, and you are now wasting the bank’s time by not telling them what happened.

Your friend may well be investigated for theft, you may well be prosecuted for fraud, and if you are a student you may find yourself kicked off your course and unemployable if you play silly !!!!!!s from this point.

As above, be honest, report your friend to the police, tell the bank, and you should be fine.
  • John-K_3
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I think that what must be done is for the OP to contact the bank, apologise and say that they completely forgot about making the withdrawal. Nothing more. That should be an end to the matter.
    Brilliant. This forum never disappoints, there is always one idiot who suggests committing fraud as a first response.

How wil you explain the pictures of someone else making the withdrawal, Einstein? You know, the ones that the bank has already compared to the previous ones they have showing our OP making previous withdrawals?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    John-K wrote: »
    Brilliant. This forum never disappoints, there is always one idiot who suggests committing fraud as a first response.

How wil you explain the pictures of someone else making the withdrawal, Einstein? You know, the ones that the bank has already compared to the previous ones they have showing our OP making previous withdrawals?

Stop scaremongering. OP says mistake. That's the end of it.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I don't think it will be the end of the matter - OP has breached T&C's in that he didn't keep his PIN secure.

Expect the CC company to close the account.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • John-K_3
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Stop scaremongering. OP says mistake. That's the end of it.
    I don’t know which is worse, you actually believing this, or you just making it up and posting.

The bank will check the pictures, your advice is moronic, and will lead to trouble. You are also advocating hiding a theft, so your morals are pretty suspect too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure