Child free by choice?

Options

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a child, husband doesn't. When we got together I never wanted anymore and he had no interest whatsoever. When I asked him how he knew he didn't want them - as I was adamant I was having no more - he said he was too selfish. We had a chat and I realised I was too. We love our holidays, our weekends away, we can afford a lifestyle I never could bringing up a child and I didn't want to go back to sleepless nights and having to put someone else before myself again.
    I have friends with kids and without but I would never ask those without what their plans were, but it does remind me of when we got married and I was asked if we were planning children. When I asked why they wanted to know if my sex life was either protected or not, they mumbled something and said it was only a question. To which I said something like 'a really personal one' . I didn't even know them that well and just thought what I get up to between the sheets is nothing to do with them......
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Because some people think their way is the only way.

Surely not....

:beer::beer::beer:

And, yes, Fbaby is patronising

Meanwhile, back on topic.

My ex could not have children. We had the conversation before we got married. I was neutral about it, to be honest. Kids would have been fine but, equally, I was happy to continue with our life and not having to feel constrained. For us, in that relationship, for all sorts of reasons it was the best thing.

Now. In my mid 60s, with absolutely no living relations and separated (although we still get on well) it would be nice to have kids around. Not because I want them to look after me (well at least buy me a few beers) but to have people I can talk about the past with. My partner has a large family and it’s good too see the interaction and memories.

But, it hasn’t happened so not point in dwelling on it. Live in the now - not in the past or the future. And, believe in your own decisions - do not be influenced by others when you are happy with where you are.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 February 2018 at 6:56PM
    Options
    If people ask you about why you dont have children, just throw up your hands, open your mouth in shock and exclaim Goodness, what an incredibly personal question! I wouldnt dream of asking anybody about their sex life! ....and stare at them so accusingly they want to squirm !
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you have hit the nail on the head and would agree that some people are just 'too selfish' and would not be able to put the needs of another person before their own. Just saying :D

Which is absolutely fine, surely, when we are talking about bringing a child into the world. And as long as both agree.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s all very well for grandparents to be demanding that you start supplying them with grandchildren but would they be so keen when you ask them to do the childminding for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week because you can’t afford the mortgage on your bigger house on one wage?

This is emotional blackmail of the worst kind, no-one can make the decision to have children for you. As for moving closer in anticipation of grandchildren, words fail me. You may want children but may not want or need the input of an overbearing and interfering grandmother, who undermines your discipline, feeds your kids with rubbish and insists on cutting their hair and dragging them to church etc, etc. (Not suggesting that your parents/in-laws would actually do this!)

Now that women can control their child-bearing, of course there are women who don’t want children. There always have been, but back in the day, they weren’t lucky enough to have the choice. There’s nothing wrong with choosing to remain childless, and it’s absolutely no-one else’s business.

As others have said, you both have time if you do change your mind. It happened to me, I had always intended to remain childless, then suddenly, at 32 years old, I changed my mind. My son is the best thing to ever happen to me, but I don’t think any parent can honestly say that they don’t see the appeal of a child-free life. It may be the best thing that I ever did, but, without question, it was also the hardest!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you have hit the nail on the head and would agree that some people are just 'too selfish' and would not be able to put the needs of another person before their own. Just saying :D

Totally agree, hence why I posted it.

There's no way we could have a child, I have 1 child, couldn't imagine another at all.

We are both way to selfish, I love my work, my holidays, spoiling ourselves and my daughter. Another child? Not a chance would I do all that again.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • surveyqueenuk
    Options

So why did you have children then? Chances are, the answer starts with "I wanted...". Chances are, you created a human being purely to satisfy your own desires.

Fair enough but who's paying for your choice? Given that you're on MSE, I'll assume you don't have private healthcare or send your children to private schools and probably get CB.

So maybe think on before you describe the childfree as "selfish", there are several of us who have actively chosen not to place any further stress on the NHS, the government and indeed the environment.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I'm 53, never wanted them, never had them, never regretted the decision for a nanosecond.

We could be twins Bugslet, exactly the same here

Totally reinforced tonight after 3 days baby sitting our 4 yo granddaughter. I'm totally shattered and could do with a vey stiff drink or three :rotfl:

Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I really don't have a maternal bone in my body

Husband already had 2 kids before we met, I was adamant I didn't want kids, step mum was something else I didn't plan for but that's a whole different thread :).

I think I've also been very lucky as I've never had people ask me why I've never had children. Perhaps they have but its not made an impact because I've always been clear in my own mind I've never wanted children
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    So why did you have children then? Chances are, the answer starts with "I wanted...". Chances are, you created a human being purely to satisfy your own desires.

Fair enough but who's paying for your choice? Given that you're on MSE, I'll assume you don't have private healthcare or send your children to private schools and probably get CB.

So maybe think on before you describe the childfree as "selfish", there are several of us who have actively chosen not to place any further stress on the NHS, the government and indeed the environment.[/QUOTE

You have taken my reply out of context - probably to cause trouble.
    With respect to my own circumstances - sorry to disappoint, but what you say couldn't be further from the truth. My 4 children were all educated privately and all work in professional fields. Actually, I do have private healthcare - not that it's any of your business.
  • BucksLady
    Options

You obviously don't visit the savings and investment board :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport