PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS menopause memories?

Options
I'm wondering if any of the older ladies can remember their mothers coping with the menopause before HRT was used?
I think I might be in the perimonopause stage but I'm pretty anti drugs in general, and as the menopause is a natural part of a woman's life I always assumed I would just let it run its course.
My dear mum isn't around anymore to ask so I don't know how bad her symptoms were although I know she didn't have HRT as she had had cancer previously and so was advised not to have it.
Looking online it seems very common for Drs to prescribe it for women nowadays. Does anyone remember how ladies coped in the old days?

*just to clarify, I don't want any medical advice (against rules I know!) just to know if women found it very hard or coped ok*

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm coping

The flushes are the hardest symptom but I find they come in phases, not had one for a while, then I'll be plagued for a while. I have a double over folded sheet under my mattress protector and have a top sheet between me and duvet, and as I say I cope. I'm tired a lot and getting crabbit and forgetful during the worst. Mostly I get up and sit it out in a chair

Day times are not so bad I did get some tablets from the GP but stopped after a week or two as I take so many tabs as it is.

My husband finds it harder then me I never had PMT in my life so the mood swings are new to us both.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the recipe for a Menopause cake which has all sorts of seeds and things in it designed to balance the hormones in a natural way. If anyone is interested I'll post it on here.
    I never made it for myself as I had a pretty easy time of it, (ducks to avoid flying missiles) but my friend made it and said it eased her hot flushes quite a bit.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Money_saving_maniac
    Options
    I never had any problems, just some hot flushes on occasion.

I think most women don't actually have issues, so it's worth taking nothing for it unless you have a problem IMO
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I've been through the menopause and come out the other end.

The only symptoms I had were hot flushes. They were a nuisance - particularly when they happened at night (daytime one can just remove however many layers of clothing are necessary and then put them all back on again when temperature normalises). Night-time of course = it disturbed my sleep somewhat.

Personally - I just gritted my teeth and waited for them to finish for good. I had the odd experiment with natural remedies - but basically didn't use any treatment of any description. I didnt see the point of HRT - as, as far as I could make out, it just postponed the whole thing and one has to go through it anyway at some time.

The one thing I would say is "Don't expect to have the same sort of experience of it as your mother did". My own mother told me it took a matter of a few months and it was over. My hot flushes went on for years (I wasnt counting - but it must have been over 5 years:eek: and I wouldnt be unduly surprised if they lasted for as long as 10 years:eek::eek:). I couldnt believe just how prolonged it was for me and, of course, it was worrying to occasionally come across a woman who was years older than me and said they had been going on for donkey's years and didnt seem to have any expectation of them ever stopping (but I think that is very rare - and do wonder if these women had other health problems and/or undue amount of stress causing this).

Having said this - I suspect my own menopause might have gone on only a normal length of time (rather than being so prolonged) if my life had been less stressful. So, if you can work out strategies to "blank out" any sources of stress you have in your life - then that will probably be helpful. Me - I can manage it to some extent - but find I personally really need Stress Sources removed from my life in order not to be affected by them.

There is a plus side to all this if you're single for some of us once you come out the other side. Some of us find our libido dies down to virtual non-existence afterwards and, personally, I find that a blessing as a single person (ie not wanting something I can't have iyswim:rotfl:). I can focus on things I feel are more important now.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didnt see the point of HRT - as, as far as I could make out, it just postponed the whole thing and one has to go through it anyway at some time.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm hoping I can help lower the risk of osteoporosis with calcium supplements (if it works like that?)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm also coming out the other side now, after 7 years, with no medical assistance. Hot flushes have been the only real problem for me, too; I've always been a fairly calm & level-headed person, never suffered from PMT & haven't had any of the horrible "personality disintegrating" symptoms my poor neighbour describes. Mind you she's under extreme stress from other sources (financial worries, a high-pressure, insecure job & an autistic son) which may be contributing to her problems.

I keep a fan - an old-fashioned folding hand-fan - in my handbag at all times, another one beside my bed, and wear layers at all times so I can quickly lose a layer or two as appropriate! We have a memory-foam mattress, which did feel too hot to start with but was necessary from another point of view, which I have a thin cotton mattress pad on top of; this came from !KEA many years ago when the kids were small, but they don't seem to do them now. This is only on my side of the bed as OH is a cold mortal & needs all the heat he can generate whilst asleep. We also now have separate (wool) duvets to cope with the perceived temperature differences; he shivers under his 15 togs (and has a light quilt on top of that in winter) whilst I throw my 7.5 togs off for half of the night! Quite importantly, this has become automatic & doesn't actually wake me up any longer.

So I've coped by mechanical means, rather than drugs, but probably got off quite lightly. But if anyone else out there is suffering overheating from a memory-foam mattress, a thin cotton pad over your portion of the mattress would be a good answer; sadly I can't find anyone selling them now, but it'd be very easy to make, given, say, 2 metres of cotton "bump", 4 metres of a strong cotton or linen for a cover, and some bias tape to bind it. A decent sewing machine would help, particularly an old hand-crank to go through the thicknesses, but it wouldn't take long by hand and that would be the best way to "tie" the filling in place.

Anyway, enough! Wishing you a safe, smooth journey through the next few years, dandy-candy.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As my late and lovely Mum had me aged 45 by the time I knew what a menopause was, bless her she had passed away. My eldest DD who will be 50 next year is having hot flushes at the moment and has 'patches' from the Dr. I couldn't take HRT as I had my first bout of cancer (cervical) when I was 38 (hysterectomy followed) so I didn't have too much of a problem at all. I think its probably different for different women
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Whew!

I decided to google and see how long other womens menopauses go on for - courtesy of this thread.

Came across a Daily Telegraph article re American study. It said hot flushes last for around 7 years. For women who started having hot flushes prior to last period its even worse - ie about 11 years.:eek:

The gist of the article was that the information doesnt seem to be out there just how long it usually goes on for.

Crikey - my first thoughts were that probably the average woman takes about 2 years and the very longest would be a, most unusual, 5 years.

Well that's me learnt something for the day then - as I thought mine went on unusually long - but, according to that article, it seems to have been pretty normal length:eek:

Probably just as well to know. Forewarned is forearmed and I think I would have been rather more conscious of deliberately trying to work out strategies for dealing with it better if I'd known just how long it would be. As it was, I went through it thinking "Oh it may be over next month and will certainly be over next year" and that was a way of thinking that didn't serve me well in hindsight.
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I didn't want to go down the drugs route so I did my usual 'read all about it ' thing and got every book the library had on the subject. By far the best was 'Natural alternatives to HRT' by Dr Marilyn Glenville . I changed my diet a bit and took a few supplements and had virtually no symptoms. Maybe it made no difference and I was just lucky but I always think that if something isn't going to do me any harm, it's worth a try.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I'm having a really bad phase with night-time hot flushes, I put a bath towel on my side of the bed, and sleep on that. Easily chucked onto the floor/replaced if it gets soaked through.

Mood swings are the worst thing - if I'm feeling "dragonish" I will tell DH, and say something like "if I bite your head off today, ignore it, and I apologise in advance".

Other than that - just grit my teeth and plough on. I refused point-blank to have HRT - I take enough drugs already, thanks. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure