'Unfair' Renewal Pricing

paddyandstumpy
paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 24 April 2018 at 12:09PM in Insurance & life assurance
Interesting case study published in this month's FOS newsletter, an elderly gent had blindly renewed his home insurance via the same insurer for 15 years. Increases after year 5 averaged 15% per year, the FOS ruling is below:

"We told the insurer to refund the difference in premiums, with interest, for each year between the price paid after five years and the subsequent renewal offers. The insurer also accepted our recommendation to pay £150 for the upset they caused Mr A."
(taken from FOS case study 144/3)

I've never agreed with dual pricing, however it's a necessary evil where rates are sold at a loss to get the business in.

Having seen some really unfair commission pricing from one Broker who targeted older clients, I'm glad that the FOS are now taking a stance on this, considering cases on their merits and forcing refunds where appropriate.

Hopefully the link provided can assist with other complaints seen here from time to time, where renewal pricing for long term clients is well above NB rates and unjustifiably so.

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your link does not work.

It is an interesting case which I agree and disagree with.

I don't agree that they should have refunded all of the increases purely because anyone with an understanding of property insurance knows that the cost of rebuilding a property increases fairly substantially each year. Ideally they should have refunded the increase in premium after taking into account the annually published inflation rate in rebuilding costs. These often run at between 4% and 10% so the increase compounded over five years is fairly substantial.

However I understand why the FOS have adopted this stance.

It's worth also reading 143/4

Incidently 143/5 Also touches on the same subject 144/4 which is a similar complaint but was not upheld because the Insurer made it clear in the renewal documents that they also offered other products that may be cheaper.

One of the factors that went against the Insurer in 143/3 is that the Insurer mentioned they had cheaper products but that these would not be cheaper unless the customers circumstances had changed.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/144/144-insurance-pricing.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure