Help credit card Fraud

A few weeks ago, someone used my PIN number and took 240 pounds out of my account, I rang my bank when i found out in the morning, and they was investigating as it occured at a tesco close to where i live, i then discovered my friend stole it and took the money out, he gave me the cash back. I didnt know what to say to the bank so i have carried on letting them investigate, as my friends said it would look strange if i cancelled the investigation, they just said the bank wouldnt refund me, but the bank keeps calling me, i dont know what to do? What if they say i have acted fraudulently which is a criminal offence, i am a bit nervous any help? I just assumed they would of told me by no they cant refund me.

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    The radical idea of telling the truth should cross your mind before you make a personal gain from this.

I'd also find a new friend and change all PIN numbers.

I assume he's refunded any fees and interest too.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Anyone who gives his 'friend' his PIN is asking for trouble.
    Your friend stole your money, he is a thief. Tell the bank and the police or be prepared to face the consequences.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    SunDun111 wrote: »
    Help credit card Fraud
    I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say you've committed fraud but you're sailing dangerously close to it, so the sooner you come clean to the bank the better.

As per the previous post, if your friend got access to your PIN then you'll have breached the Ts & Cs of the card by not protecting this, so you should prepare yourself for the possibility that your card account will be closed.
  • i am a bit confused, first off its a student account and my friend (whos not my friend anymore) gave the money back, but if i tell the bank the truth do i have to give his name? couldnt i just say it was a mistake and my friend did it when he was drunk, i was just assuming the bank would drop the case? i am really confused and havent actually done anything wrong? If the bank continue to investigate could i actually get done for fraud because they cant really prove ive been fraudulent?
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you ever asked someone to withdraw money from your card at a ATM ?
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Contact the bank, explain that you made a mistake and that the transaction has been accounted for. Stop wasting their time as some one is obviously investigating this for you.
    The minute you were aware that it wasn't a fraud is the moment your actions have become unlawful as you are making a false report.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    i am a bit confused, first off its a student account and my friend (whos not my friend anymore) gave the money back, but if i tell the bank the truth do i have to give his name? couldnt i just say it was a mistake and my friend did it when he was drunk, i was just assuming the bank would drop the case? i am really confused and havent actually done anything wrong? If the bank continue to investigate could i actually get done for fraud because they cant really prove ive been fraudulent?
    This is from Barclays Bank, others will be very similar:

You must do all you reasonably can to keep your payment tools safe. Don’t choose a PIN or password that is easy for someone else to guess (such as 1234 or your date of birth). You must not give your payment tools to someone else or let someone else use them, or do anything that would let someone else use them, such as writing them down in a way that someone else could understand, keeping the letter carrying a PIN, or giving someone else access to a device like a mobile phone you keep your details on.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    i am a bit confused, first off its a student account and my friend (whos not my friend anymore) gave the money back, but if i tell the bank the truth do i have to give his name? couldnt i just say it was a mistake and my friend did it when he was drunk, i was just assuming the bank would drop the case? i am really confused and havent actually done anything wrong? If the bank continue to investigate could i actually get done for fraud because they cant really prove ive been fraudulent?
    As things stand you've effectively (or actually) told the bank that money has been withdrawn from your account without your knowledge and that you're presumably expecting them to reimburse the transaction.

While the use of the PIN makes it unlikely that they'll reimburse anyway, the fact that you haven't advised them that you know what happened means that you're currently making a claim under false pretences.

Why are you so keen to protect your (ex-)friend anyway, as he's the one who got you into all this? When you fess up to the bank, if they ask for his name then tell them, and let him face any consequences of his stupid actions....
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    i am a bit confused
    The answers you've had shouldn't be confusing.
    first off its a student account
    Irrelevant.
    and my friend (whos not my friend anymore) gave the money back
    So you're not out of pocket.
    but if i tell the bank the truth do i have to give his name? couldnt i just say it was a mistake and my friend did it when he was drunk, i was just assuming the bank would drop the case?
    Just tell them that you no longer wish to pursue your fraudulent transaction allegation.
    i am really confused and havent actually done anything wrong?
    Leaving your bank investigating a fraud claim when you've been reimbursed is as bent as anything.
    If the bank continue to investigate could i actually get done for fraud because they cant really prove ive been fraudulent?
    Do what's been suggested and there shouldn't be a problem.

Carry on claiming and you could end up in trouble. With more than your bank.
  • First of can i just say he did it without me knowing, and I dont want to give his name away because I don't know what the bank would do? even though hes my ex-friend I still dont want to ruin the guy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure