DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No problem. It's nice to have the time to look this stuff up (redundancy will do that ;) )

Good luck - and let us know how you get on

I meant to add - when you write your letter add a paragraph to state that it is not your intention to avoid paying your debts, and you are working hard to deal with your financial problems. Acknowledge you realise the detrimental impact entering a DMP has, and as such it was not a decision you took lightly. Stress that all other creditors have agreed to work with you by freezing interest and charges and moving to default the accounts promptly and you would request they work with you by doing the same.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yay,just got a letter from MBNA saying they accept my offers payments via SC and have frozen all interest and associated charges
    NatWest however are not being helpful,I've just got a letter from them demanding I pay my OD in full by the 12th of April,I am thinking I might write to them again stating my financial difficulties and that I'm in a DMP with SC ( although they know this as they have had two payments now) and including the paragraph from January above,hopefully they will play ball eventually,I must say I thought I would panic when I got letters from my creditors but so far I'm feeling quite calm about it all and it thanks to all the advice I've been given on here,so thanks guys you are life savers
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yay,just got a letter from MBNA saying they accept my offers payments via SC and have frozen all interest and associated charges
    NatWest however are not being helpful,I've just got a letter from them demanding I pay my OD in full by the 12th of April,I am thinking I might write to them again stating my financial difficulties and that I'm in a DMP with SC ( although they know this as they have had two payments now) and including the paragraph from January above,hopefully they will play ball eventually,I must say I thought I would panic when I got letters from my creditors but so far I'm feeling quite calm about it all and it thanks to all the advice I've been given on here,so thanks guys you are life savers

What you might find is that the letters from NatWest are just computer generated garbage that gets sent out periodically. If it were me I'd ignore them and carry on with the DMP as per. Many larger organisations simply do not 'talk' to each other and don't have good CIS systems that show what the state of play is with a debtor. e.g that he/she is in a DMP.
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    What you might find is that the letters from NatWest are just computer generated garbage that gets sent out periodically. If it were me I'd ignore them and carry on with the DMP as per. Many larger organisations simply do not 'talk' to each other and don't have good CIS systems that show what the state of play is with a debtor. e.g that he/she is in a DMP.
    Im going to wait and see what happens next because I got a similar letter from MBNA last week and now they have contacted me to say they agree etc,so I'm hoping NatWest will do the same
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Im going to wait and see what happens next because I got a similar letter from MBNA last week and now they have contacted me to say they agree etc,so I'm hoping NatWest will do the same

As you are still a customer of the bank these letters will be triggered by computer, as said above, it will not take your DMP into account.

These companies are hugh organizations with hundreds of different departments, who sometimes don't talk to each other.

I`d just leave things as they are, otherwise you'll be sending letter all the time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • So....last year I wrote and complained to the Co-operative as they kept sending default threats but never actually defaulted the account. They replied with an apology and a £50 cheque :) and their letter also stated that “whilst we have an obligation to report a default on your credit file when payments aren’t made to the loan in line with the terms and conditions of your account, we identified that the information hadn’t been reported correctly; therefore the account was removed in its entirety from your credit file. Also due to this we won’t be recording a default on your credit file in the future.”

During February we received another two default letters relating to the debt but ignored them as we had been advised they would not issue a default as outlined in their original letter.

Today I get home to a final demand letter saying that we have not paid the arrears on the account and if we don't pay the full amount immediately they will seek to recover the debt by other means (stating they may pass the debt onto a DCA).

I am fuming :mad::mad: as they have gone completely against what they said in their original letter. I have drafted another letter of complaint quoting the original letter and saying we have had a SC DMP in place for 3 and a half years and never missed a payment through this.

Is there anything else I need to do? Have I totally misunderstood what the original letter meant??

Just after a bit of advice (and reassurance!!)

Thanks in advance :)

BDFSH x

Just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding the above post? Have sent a complaint letter off to The Co-operative today - hoping I've not missed something in their original letter!!

Thanks,

BDFSH x
  • Sunnysam72
    Sunnysam72 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First post on this thread as a lovely member recommended I join as I'm at the very start of my DF journey, and looking to start a SM DMP. I have done a bit of research and I understand I need to get an EF and basic bank account started, get rid of non priority DD, do and I&E, get letter templates from NEDCAB etc.. The bit I'm struggling to understand how to manage/arrange is my incomes when doing I&E, as I have 2 jobs ATM

1.My main job is a temporary contract until Oct 2018 (but could be extended and I won't know about that until later in the year). I have no problem with this one except about how it might be taken into account for arranging payments and then how repayments would be affected if the contract was not renewed? It's £900pcm net, so quite a lot to lose if a DMP was based on including this figure.

2. My other job is self employed as a franchisee, where I buy stock to sell on. Now, this is not a guaranteed income, because of the nature of how the stock is sold in sites - not secure. I recently closed my business banking account as I was being charged for the cash handling - I collect cash from sales and deposit it into my current account, then I buy new stock as and when I've got enough to pay for it. I have tax records etc for incom, but since I have taken on this other new job Oct17, I'm selling less now than I was before, having gone from 5 days a week selling to 2 days a week doing it (3 days on PAYE job) so previous years SA032 forms won't really be accurate. Plus it's completely different each week/month as I visit different sites and the amount collected, even from a particular site, can vary from visit to visit. I'm classed as a sole trader and don't have a massive turnover tbh (I've earned about £10/11k after expenses, NICS, etc). I've been running the business for 4 years but took the PAYE job to help pay debts off. Sadly it's not really working out as I'd hoped and I'm in way over my head now, though up to date with all my payments so far. I can guesstimate in advance how much I'll get each week but if I'm ill, or child is ill or problem with delivery/ car etc, then I obviously will get nothing. Example: I might collect £450 in a day, there might be £60 losses(stolen/unpaid for) and 2/3 needs to be invested for new stock, some put aside for NICs and taxes and then I'm left with the the rest of it. I might do the same round a month later and end up with a completely different amount collected, with a different proportion of losses, but I still have to put aside same amount of the expenses money, but end up with less in my pocket/wage. Should I be using the lower amounts for declaring my income on I&E forms or could I work it out as yearly budget, based on previous years, then aim to ensure I do that each month? Because my PAYE job is termly, and salaried, during school holidays I can do more on my SE job, which in effect is like doubling my income at these times, but that's only for 10weeks of the year. Those times make up for the days I lose collections on during term time.

Also, should I go back to having a business bank account and 'pay' myself a wage, and bite the bullet with regards to business charges or would I be able to still run the business from a basic bank account without creditors taking extra money from my account? I have absolutely no profits in the business ATM, and am literally scraping cash together to be able to continue with it, due to all my debt repayments. I have assets in terms of stock out and about, but that's it really.

I hope that all makes sense! Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks, Sam.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding the above post? Have sent a complaint letter off to The Co-operative today - hoping I've not missed something in their original letter!!
    Thanks,
    BDFSH x

Have you considered speaking to them, rather than writing - it might help resolve the issue more quickly. Or, I wonder if you have grounds to complain to the FOS as you have a letter stating they won't default and proof that you've been in a DMP for x years etc. Just a thought, others might come along with better advice :)
  • Suseka97 wrote: »
    Have you considered speaking to them, rather than writing - it might help resolve the issue more quickly. Or, I wonder if you have grounds to complain to the FOS as you have a letter stating they won't default and proof that you've been in a DMP for x years etc. Just a thought, others might come along with better advice :)

Thanks Suseka :)

I did consider calling them but felt my complaint would have more clout in writing?? Not sure if this is best though?? Hoping for a response from them within the next week or so (they should receive my letter today) then I guess I will go from there with regards to escalating this to the FOS.

BDFSH x
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sunnysam72 wrote: »
    First post on this thread as a lovely member recommended I join as I'm at the very start of my DF journey, and looking to start a SM DMP. I have done a bit of research and I understand I need to get an EF and basic bank account started, get rid of non priority DD, do and I&E, get letter templates from NEDCAB etc.. The bit I'm struggling to understand how to manage/arrange is my incomes when doing I&E, as I have 2 jobs ATM

1.My main job is a temporary contract until Oct 2018 (but could be extended and I won't know about that until later in the year). I have no problem with this one except about how it might be taken into account for arranging payments and then how repayments would be affected if the contract was not renewed? It's £900pcm net, so quite a lot to lose if a DMP was based on including this figure.

2. My other job is self employed as a franchisee, where I buy stock to sell on. Now, this is not a guaranteed income, because of the nature of how the stock is sold in sites - not secure. I recently closed my business banking account as I was being charged for the cash handling - I collect cash from sales and deposit it into my current account, then I buy new stock as and when I've got enough to pay for it. I have tax records etc for incom, but since I have taken on this other new job Oct17, I'm selling less now than I was before, having gone from 5 days a week selling to 2 days a week doing it (3 days on PAYE job) so previous years SA032 forms won't really be accurate. Plus it's completely different each week/month as I visit different sites and the amount collected, even from a particular site, can vary from visit to visit. I'm classed as a sole trader and don't have a massive turnover tbh (I've earned about £10/11k after expenses, NICS, etc). I've been running the business for 4 years but took the PAYE job to help pay debts off. Sadly it's not really working out as I'd hoped and I'm in way over my head now, though up to date with all my payments so far. I can guesstimate in advance how much I'll get each week but if I'm ill, or child is ill or problem with delivery/ car etc, then I obviously will get nothing. Example: I might collect £450 in a day, there might be £60 losses(stolen/unpaid for) and 2/3 needs to be invested for new stock, some put aside for NICs and taxes and then I'm left with the the rest of it. I might do the same round a month later and end up with a completely different amount collected, with a different proportion of losses, but I still have to put aside same amount of the expenses money, but end up with less in my pocket/wage. Should I be using the lower amounts for declaring my income on I&E forms or could I work it out as yearly budget, based on previous years, then aim to ensure I do that each month? Because my PAYE job is termly, and salaried, during school holidays I can do more on my SE job, which in effect is like doubling my income at these times, but that's only for 10weeks of the year. Those times make up for the days I lose collections on during term time.

Also, should I go back to having a business bank account and 'pay' myself a wage, and bite the bullet with regards to business charges or would I be able to still run the business from a basic bank account without creditors taking extra money from my account? I have absolutely no profits in the business ATM, and am literally scraping cash together to be able to continue with it, due to all my debt repayments. I have assets in terms of stock out and about, but that's it really.

I hope that all makes sense! Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks, Sam.

Hi and welcome :wave:

It might be worth you giving Business Debtline a call and they can give you advice about your business income / account. There are not many (if any ??) of us on here with business accounts and second incomes such as yours and therefore it's difficult for us to give advice based on experience.

However, you are more than welcome to join us and we will help wherever we can. Me personally, I would probably just declare the income from my job and see any income from the self employed bit as 'extra' I can squirrel away for emergency funds or saving for full and final settlements - but as I said it may be worth talking to Business Debtline for advice about operating business accounts etc.

Looking forward to getting to know you and support your on your DFW journey :beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure