Train journey including underground

Options
This may be a stupid question so apologies in advance.
I am making a train journey soon as follows:

Train Station A to Train Station B
Train Station B's London Underground to Train Station C's London Underground
Train Station C to Train Station D

Will my ticket from Train Station A to Train Station D cover the underground? Do I have to buy a separate ticket for that? Will the machine eat my ticket leaving me to buy a new one anyway? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think if you buy an A to D ticket it should cover travel between B and C. However, it's unlikely to be the best value option, espcially if A to B and C to D journeys are with separate TOCs. I'd check out the cost of individual tickets for each leg of the journey, plus the underground cost (which you can pay for on the day with a contactless card or mobile phone payment for the lowest cost, if you have either of these)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Will my ticket from Train Station A to Train Station D cover the underground? Do I have to buy a separate ticket for that? Will the machine eat my ticket leaving me to buy a new one anyway? Thanks in advance!
    Why the secrecy?

Go on, be brave. Take the risk and tell us where you are travelling from and to.

The answer to your first question is: possibly, it may depend on the ticket you buy.

The answer to the second question depends on whether the answer to the first question turns out to be 'yes' or 'no'.

The answer to the third question is: possible but unlikely.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,759 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 July 2017 at 3:04PM
    Options
    I had similar query the other day (in fact when I initially saw it I thought admin might have stolen it for a thread..lol)... albeit on cost... so I agree with the above posts... if you need a transfer in London that'll be included (but check - it should be shown in itinerary) if you buy the journey A to D (which requires A to B and C to D trains) rather than separating the tickets...and the tickets will be marked with a symbol to show can use underground for connection... but you may find buying the individual tickets for A to B and C to D and then using Oyster or equivalent much cheaper. As example I'm looking at Newcastle to Cornwall... it mirrors the journey you are suggesting and is charged at, as example, £66.50 if bought with underground transfer included... yet the individual tickets for A to B and C to D are as little as only £20 and £22.50 respectively meaning you're in effect paying as much as £24!!!! for what otherwise could be a £2.40 Oyster or contactless journey on underground. Seems like madness to me. But then as a train amateur I also had to point out yesterday that CrossCountry were apparently selling tickets for a train that doesn't exist.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Cygnus_Alpha
    Cygnus_Alpha Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options

Yes.
    No.
    No. If it does, ask the gateline operator to retrieve it.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    Options
    If your ticket is marked with the maltese cross (dagger) symbol it will include cross-London travel on the Underground.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Almost every train journey I make involves crossing London on the tube, and I've never yet had a ticket that doesn't include it in the price.
  • Muttleythefrog
    edited 17 July 2017 at 11:42PM
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Almost every train journey I make involves crossing London on the tube, and I've never yet had a ticket that doesn't include it in the price.
    Have you ever looked at the prices if you bought the tickets without the tube... because I am staggered at the savings I can get Newcastle to London then London to Cornwall. If you get the first leg for £20 (which is definitely possible early booking) and the second leg typically £22.50... they charge £66.50 for the whole journey including the tube connection... i.e. the most expensive part of this trip seemingly becomes the almost negligible distance between two walkable (for me) tube stations. I should say that if the first leg goes up to £28 and I think £36 then still £66.50 is charged.. but still that's a lot more for the tube than by Oyster. I can't believe that I arranged my wife's train travel on the continent after research lasting around 30 minutes... I've been on weeks trying to understand the British railways for this trip it seems.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So is that saving because you booked early or because you split the ticket? Whenever I've tried looking for split tickets I've lost the will to live before I found any savings.
  • Muttleythefrog
    edited 18 July 2017 at 3:08AM
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    So is that saving because you booked early or because you split the ticket? Whenever I've tried looking for split tickets I've lost the will to live before I found any savings.
    Well a bit of both probably...the good prices for the individual train legs is because of early booking... especially the first one as it is a popular route Newcastle to London. Not sure if it is technically ticket splitting (if my understanding of that is correct... and it may not be) in my example.... as you'd in effect be buying the same tickets except the inclusion of the underground transfer which instead you'd have to alternatively arrange... Oyster at £2.40 in this case. So I've found that inclusion of the underground element in the train booking to be of highly variable effective charge albeit probably consequentially of other complexities of how they charge for journeys. I've also found general ticket splitting of limited value... but probably because of early booking so lowest prices for splitters to compete with. Splitters I've tried do not pick up on the underground element issue yet it could bring huge savings.... approx. a third for the tickets I'll be buying. I asked in another thread if I was missing something from my consideration... nothing was suggested... so £2.40 instead of £24 it is.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can't find anywhere on the website that enables you to specify whether you want the tube included. For a trip from here (Essex) to Bath, if I buy separate tickets for either side of London it's £57.30 instead of £65.80 if I leave at 09:00, or £47.50 instead of £30.50 if I leave at 11:00.

The problem with looking for cheap fares is that there are so many permutations you just lose the will to live trying them all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure