PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chazzers - do you budget?

Comments

• Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    I have developed a new rule this year - one in, one out. I am only allowed to buy something if I am prepared to get rid of something in the same category. So, for example, a tee shirt in blue developed a hole right in the middle of the front where it was impossible to mend without it showing (due to the nature of the material and a patch would have just looked silly there!) So next round of pottering with a friend round charity shops I kept my eye out for a blue tee shirt. Having found one the holey one went to the rag box. Since most of my ornaments are presents from friends or memories of places past I wont be buying any of them; I have enough crockery so I wont be buying that; I wont be buying books cos I have a stack of some 20 odd that I am finishing and then donating to my local chazzer...... I live a very contented life with enough stuff - one in one out! I dont need more! Now if only I could apply that to the pounds of fat around my waist :-)
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    What labels should I covet for teenage boys?

I have been buying Quicksilver, o'Neill and Hollister Jack Wills, Superdry, Abercrombie & Fitchare there any others?
  • Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    Budget for charity shops? Nah. I go in the cheap ones and splurge to my heart's content and come away with a bag full and change from a tenner. Really, I'm trying to bring less stuff into the house so that is what I set as a limit.

Teenage boys stuff? Maybe Pull and Bear?
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have developed a new rule this year - one in, one out. )

Lyn, I really wish I had your restraint - too many times I come home with something which " only cost £1 - bargain!".

I then realise I'll never use/wear/listen to/read it and justify the sale by telling myself I'm helping the charity by buying it, and then again by donating it back.

When I do donate it back it's not so much of a problem but I have a nasty habit of letting it sit in the drawer/wardrobe/bookcase/whatever, which means it's more clutter to deal with.

I just wish I thought before I bought! :o
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Chris25 wrote: »
    Lyn, I really wish I had your restraint - too many times I come home with something which " only cost £1 - bargain!".

I then realise I'll never use/wear/listen to/read it and justify the sale by telling myself I'm helping the charity by buying it, and then again by donating it back.

When I do donate it back it's not so much of a problem but I have a nasty habit of letting it sit in the drawer/wardrobe/bookcase/whatever, which means it's more clutter to deal with.

I just wish I thought before I bought! :o
    I have a policy of '1 in, 1 out' as my wardrobes are full.

So even if it's only £1 I do think hard about whether I really want it.

I was looking at Galileo thermometers in our local hospice shop yesterday.
    They had 2, 1 was £4 and the other was £3 but I decided I want a taller one with more 'balls' in.
    I think the OH would like it on his desk in the study and it would make a good surprise Christmas present.

I've seen one on Amazon - 44cms tall with what looks like 10 'balls'. It's £20.47 & £4 postage so not that expensive really if I don't find one in a charity shop in the next 6 or 7 months.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I was looking at Galileo thermometers in our local hospice shop yesterday.
    They had 2, 1 was £4 and the other was £3 but I decided I want a taller one with more 'balls' in.
    I think the OH would like it on his desk in the study and it would make a good surprise Christmas present.

I've seen one on Amazon - 44cms tall with what looks like 10 'balls'. It's £20.47 & £4 postage so not that expensive really if I don't find one in a charity shop in the next 6 or 7 months.
    Looking at this, the economist in me says go ahead and buy two for £7 and arrange them skillfully - perhaps with other existing items - rather than one for £24.47.

But then its easy for me to rationalise as this item doesn't push my buttons ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    If you were to walk past some chazzas which would they be? I cannot even though some are more expensive than others, as well as sorting their goods by colour and not size.

Which are the cheapest chazzas? The community hospice ones?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    My opinion:
    BHF is expensive.
    Oxfam is expensive & sorts by colour. :mad:
    Our local Barnados is expensive.

Charity shops that have recently undergone refurbishment tend to be expensive.

There are 3 shops for the same Hospice in my area. The prices for similar items vary considerably.

We have a £1 clearance Air Ambulance shop where I've got some great bargains but other branches of the same shop in different towns/cities are more expensive.
  • WeegieWumman
    WeegieWumman Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My ex-neighbour was a marketing manager. She informed me that the SAME clothing left the factories bearing labels of VARIOUS shops to be sold to the public at a wide range of prices from cheap to expensive.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The local hospice shop is usually pretty good.

I generally go first to the animal charity shops, as that's my preferred cause; there are two near us, in different small towns, for the same charity, and I always go to the one where they don't look down the side of their nose at me, whether looking to buy or donating.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure