Credit score drop..

Hello,

So 90 days ago my score was 908 on experian. Now it is 835. This isn't ideal as I currently have a mortgage in principle with TSB.

I applied for the mortgage in principle with my partner who's credit score was lower than mine. Could it of linked our scores through an in principle mortgage? The only change I've had is clearing £200 on a credit card and trying to sign into experian a few times but forgetting my password. No more credit cards, no late payments...nothing. The only major thing I can think of is we tried a mortgage in principle application with Nationwide which didn't go through. I was told it wasn't processed though? Just didn't show up through our financial advisors search program

Kind regards

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Ignore your score. It's not relevant and isn't seen.

Just keep maintaining your credit lines responsibly.
  • Simba-ali34
    Simba-ali34 Posts: 228 Forumite
    Is there any relevance to It?
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    None, beyond a very, very broad guide.

But given bankrupts and new to credit customers can have 999 scores, even that's not much use.
  • Simba-ali34
    Simba-ali34 Posts: 228 Forumite
    I'm assuming that because we got the mortgage in principle we passed some kind of first hurdle with TSB? Surely they do somekind of credit scoring
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    Yes - the lenders do. They use the data on your files and match it to their criteria.

But you don't get to see the output of that process, other than an accept/refer/decline.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Hello,

So 90 days ago my score was 908 on experian. Now it is 835. This isn't ideal as I currently have a mortgage in principle with TSB.

I applied for the mortgage in principle with my partner who's credit score was lower than mine. Could it of linked our scores through an in principle mortgage? The only change I've had is clearing £200 on a credit card and trying to sign into experian a few times but forgetting my password. No more credit cards, no late payments...nothing. The only major thing I can think of is we tried a mortgage in principle application with Nationwide which didn't go through. I was told it wasn't processed though? Just didn't show up through our financial advisors search program

Kind regards

What do you mean by didn't go through? Was your application declined?

From this thread below, it appears that Nationwide don't do soft searches:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4442483

With most other banks, a mortgage agreement in principle will be a soft search of your files for basic info to check that it matches what you have put on your application - the real hurdle will be if you pass the hard search for a mortgage.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    So you have had one hard search from Nationwide.
    And something tells me that wasn't the only hard search in the past 6 months.
    This is why your score has dropped.
    But don't worry about the acore.
    TSB will never see it .. it's a secret between you and the CRA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure