PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS menopause memories?

Comments

• dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Poor Rosie! That was an infuriating thing to happen :mad:

I slept through last night for the first time in a week :D normally I'm waking up too hot (but not sweaty) and then can't get back to sleep.

I wanted to ask how everyone is affected by normal tasks. I'm finding things like sweeping the floor or walking around the shops are making me overheat when previously they never did. I'm really not a sweaty person at all, even on a hot day. Today I walked back from the shops in a vest top while everyone else is in coats and hats! Before that I was chatting to a friend sitting for an hour and when I got up my blouse had stuck to my back :eek:

Can I also ask if anyone else finds it upsets their emotions? I've been incredibly bummed a few days this week. I started anti depressants 3 weeks ago and normally I should be on an even keel by now. I'm going to ask the dr to up the dosage, but I don't even know if they help if it's a hormonal thing?!
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2016 at 11:20AM
    I wanted to ask how everyone is affected by normal tasks. I'm finding things like sweeping the floor or walking around the shops are making me overheat when previously they never did. I'm really not a sweaty person at all, even on a hot day. Today I walked back from the shops in a vest top while everyone else is in coats and hats! Before that I was chatting to a friend sitting for an hour and when I got up my blouse had stuck to my back :eek: Can I also ask if anyone else finds it upsets their emotions? I've been incredibly bummed a few days this week. I started anti depressants 3 weeks ago and normally I should be on an even keel by now. I'm going to ask the dr to up the dosage, but I don't even know if they help if it's a hormonal thing?!

DandyCandy - I think you can begin to become obsessed with "How do I feel" and "'Ooh it's going to happen again" and it becomes a vicious circle .

To be honest - I don't give a fig about what other's think about my red face and sweatiness - getting stressed makes everything worse for me. And yes, the slightest bit of sentimentality makes me bawl like a baby, and I can get terribly irritable and ragey. Odd and hard to deal with as I'm usually quite chilled too.

As far as I'm concerned, if anyone makes a comment about my sweats, that's just rude. I'm not inclined to apologise for going through a natural process. Also, if you say "I'm menopausal" it does tend to make them shut up pretty quickly :rotfl:

Get your GP to do a blood test to check your hormone levels - if you're meno it might mean your dosage of other meds needs adjusting?

You'll be fine hun xx
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Slowly :)
    I've asked 3 times for a test and they fob me off, but I have a gynaecologist appointment next month at the hospital so I will ask them.

I do find it bizarre that as most women do go through the menopause, it still feels like a great "unknown" and no one talks about it! It's great having the internet so I can pop onto various forums. I've also just ordered a book so will have a good read.
    I hope everyone is managing ok :)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2016 at 10:08AM
    I agree that we don't talk about it enough. But partly that will be because there is a whole range of symptoms and each of us will go through none, some or all of them.
    I think every woman in the world knows about hot flushes and night sweats. I think a lot of women aren't aware of the memory problems, exhaustion, joint pains, sleepless nights, really low mood etc. I know that I certainly wasn't.
    Just knowing that I'm not the only one has helped so much. My lovely sister rang me last night. She found that a combo of St John's wort and black cohosh really helped. So, bless her, she has put a wee parcel of them in the post for me. She sent me the black cohosh a few weeks ago, but tbh, I haven't felt much benefit.

Will try to get a copy of my blood results from the GP and have a look at my ferretin levels just in case and will look into how to increase it.

Slowly57 kindly sent me a link for freezer food recipes, so I feel better today for doing a stock take of my freezer today, cleaning it out, and deciding on a few meals for the next few days. It really helps me, removes a lot of stress if I know what I'm cooking.

Also, as suggested on another thread, I'm making much more detailed lists of things to do for the day. Even as much as washing dishes, putting washing on, hanging up, making lunches etc. It is so satisfying to cross things off and reminds me what I need to do.
    I also leave it sitting out in full view. If dh wonders what I have been doing all day, he can see my list! I don't draw attention to it, just leave it there! Saves the frequent 'Have you done...?' 'What have you been doing all day?'
    There are many days when I don't stop but it doesn't look as if I've done much. Makes me feel less worried about it.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Slowly57
    Forumite
    rosie383 wrote: »
    I agree that we don't talk about it enough. But partly that will be because there is a whole range of symptoms and each of us will go through none, some or all of them.

Yes, its good to talk about it - but ye gawds - reading about some women's experiences frightened me to death. Also NEGATIVITY. I'm not going to pretend meno is happy-joy-joy but if you've been through menstruation (let alone pregnancy/childbirth) then you know how variable these things can be.

I think things are seen as even MORE dreadful these days because we are supposed to fit into one way of being - skinny, wrinkle-free, no grey hair, forever youthful, sexaay, etc and meno has given me those mad hairs on my chin that grow 4" overnight lol

• beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Slowly, I get what you're saying but feeling under pressure to look youthful isn't what's making me feel dreadful, it is the major stomach issues, the continual bleeding and the exhaustion that's doing that. It's hard not to be negative if the perimenopause hits you like a truck, and other women's stories stop me from thinking that there's something seriously wrong with me, and remind me that it will end at some point.
  • Slowly57
    Forumite
    Aww beecher2 I'm sorry about the stomach issues and the 'flooding' bleeding - before it all stops. It IS scarey and exhausting. I found that bit worse than the flushes and the rest. At least I can laugh about meno - peri had me grieving for my 'normal life' and made me feel so lost. It does get better. It's just like puberty (in reverse lol) and I even had the spots to prove it ...

• beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Slowly, maybe I am grieving for my normal life too, I hadn't really thought of it that way. I was lucky enough to have really good health before this and I think I took it for granted! I definitely miss the time I could make plans and not be worrying about flooding, or being unable to eat or drink because of my stomach. I'm 49 in a few days so I know it won't go on forever. :)
  • Slowly57
    Forumite
    Oh beecher2 - I had days where I was so bloated I couldn't get my coat fastened and I felt like I was losing my mind. I really do think this time of life knocks you for six. It is hard to 'reinvent' yourself when you are feeling so grotty and mood-swingy.

It will calm all down. I'm coming out the other side but I'm not the same person now. Sometimes I don't recognise this body of mine:rotfl: but then again I feel calmer and curious as to what happens next.

Of course OH is still hiding behind the couch afraid to come out bless lol

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I am so grateful to all of you guys here for sharing. Most of my friends are younger than me so, apart from my sister, I don't really have anyone to talk to who can empathise.

I forced myself to go to a class that I have on a Saturday and never normally miss. I had missed about 4 weeks lately. It took a supreme effort to leave what seemed like a mountain of stuff, and make myself go. And when I got there, looking like carp, one of the women looked at me and asked if I was okay. I just kind of nodded, and then the tears were running down my face for an hour. No reason, just miserable. I could feel the looks from everyone. After an hour I went out to wash my face and calm down. One lady followed me out, gave me a hug and asked what was wrong, thinking I had had a bereavement or something. They are all so used to seeing me being happy, calm and chilled. When she asked if I was eating and drinking properly, I had to admit that I hadn't taken time for breakfast and this was at 3.30. When we went back into the class, a while later she chucked a pack of crisps across the room at me. Ten minutes later she texted and told me to eat the flipping crisps now! Once I had eaten, I actually felt a lot better, and it taught me a wee lesson to stop and take the time to look after myself.
    Apologies for rabbiting on, and I'm happy even if no one read all of that carp, I just needed to get it out!
    Dh got given tickets at work for Thorpe Park, so taking the kids for a very rare day out, then he is treating us to dinner on the way home! It means I don't need to have a stressful day hopefully, as I won't have any real responsibilities to deal with.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport