DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    I think the debt remedy tool, although helpful, is a bit all encompassing and does not take into account an individuals personal circumstances.

You have done very well, so far, with your DMP, you have to develop at thick skin, and become a virtual expert overnight in order to not get railroaded by creditors, it seems these last 3 years have just flown by.

Thank you :beer: I think I've done well over the last 3 and bit years as well. I could never have imagined I would be in the position we are now. Back then, if I had any inkling we would lose one of our incomes the world would have imploded on us and we would have been desparately trying to sell up and downsize just to manage. Thank goodness DMP land came along before my job was made redundant and I had the time to learn the DMP ropes and our rights etc. I cannot thank this site, and especially you Sourcrates (who will always be Socrates to me ;) ) enough :beer:

I've definitely developed a 'thick skin' - that's my excuse for the bathroom scales creeping up over the last 3 years as well :rotfl:

And yes, the time really has flown by. For any newbies just starting their journey - once you get settled into your DMP and debt worries are lifted, life really does become enjoyable and time does fly by. So don't worry how many years your DMP is forecast to take - it will go by in flash :T
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2018 at 12:27PM
    Options
    How long has it been, January?

I've got my first 2 F&F offers drafted and hopefully ready to pop in the post on Monday. I'm very impatient once I actually get round to making a positive move:o

I'm not at home to check the date I sent the letters off, but my brain is telling me it's been at least a month.

I don't care if they don't accept - any I don't expect them to accept because I went in really low - but it would be nice just to know so I can take a deep sigh and move on with continuing token payments :rotfl:

Edit: just did a search on the previous Mutual Support Forum as I posted on the day I sent the F&Fs off. 12th September is the date they were sent. So about 5 and half weeks ago.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • kram
    kram Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    I’m getting loads of spam emails right now, latest yesterday was supposed to be from TV licensing, my DD had failed, I knew it hadn’t, and the address it came from was not TVL, but looked convincing.

Anyway, you do not have to respond to email, phone calls, or texts, just good old fashioned letters, so unless they write to you, ignore it.

Worst thing you can do is start conversing with them.

I thought it was a spam email at first, but I found that the company concerned is real.

I am taking your advice & ignoring anything from them as it has nothing to do with me.
  • Changingtimes
    Changingtimes Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 October 2018 at 1:03PM
    Options
    Repost
    19th Oct 18, 8:58 PM
    I am going for it. I have started my Step Change paperwork so am hoping to have my DMP set up soon. As of now all payments made and no defaults, I spoke to my bank today informed them of my plans. Just a couple of questions to those already in a DMP with SC.
    1. How easy was it to find a new bank account?
    2. Do SC have a portal so you can keep track of what they are paying and to whom?
    3. Do I contact all creditors and inform them of my plans before the DMP set up and ask for SOA ?
    4. Do I cancel CPA and direct debits now?b
    5. It has been suggested I complain to PDL companies for irresponsible lending is this recommended at this stage?( I appreciate I used the money and I owe it) but really they don't check things properly just offer you more and more.).
    6. I have a credit facility with safety net credit. They have read only access to my bank account so know when my money goes in and out. Do I now try stop their access? (I know very irresponsible but in fairness never had any issues with them in this respect but the more I think about it, they know everything about my finances).
    7. People mention a safety fund. How do you even start this when your paying debt. Do budget for this within your DMP ?

Sorry for all the questions.i am just so worried but hopeful

I am determined to get myself back in track, debt currently approx £22000 with I think 10 creditors.
    I am scared, worried but determined to be happy and debt free again.

Started 2019 with £22,5000 debt - March 2021 Debt free - stick with it people I did and now never felt better
  • Time_To_Change
    Options
    And yes, the time really has flown by. For any newbies just starting their journey - once you get settled into your DMP and debt worries are lifted, life really does become enjoyable and time does fly by. So don't worry how many years your DMP is forecast to take - it will go by in flash :T

This is very motivational for us newbies. I am still at a very early stage but already feeling a bit of relief and I am glad now that I managed to push myself to self manage as I do actually feel like I am in control. I had quite a few calls from tesco bank yesterday and eventually answered one of them. I explained that I had already put everything in writing and that they should read my letter again which stated everything was to be done in writing and no phone calls. They just apologised and were actually very helpful.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not at home to check the date I sent the letters off, but my brain is telling me it's been at least a month.

I don't care if they don't accept - any I don't expect them to accept because I went in really low - but it would be nice just to know so I can take a deep sigh and move on with continuing token payments :rotfl:

Edit: just did a search on the previous Mutual Support Forum as I posted on the day I sent the F&Fs off. 12th September is the date they were sent. So about 5 and half weeks ago.

Thanks for going to the trouble to check:T. Five and a half weeks does seem a long time not to have a response though:eek:. I'd be going crazy with impatience after a lot less than that:o. On the plus side it could be a case of 'no news is good news':j. If they were going to turn you down I'd have thought that would be a pretty instant decision for them to make.

Good luck:beer:
  • Steff90
    Steff90 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

I have sent letters a few weeks ago to all my creditors stating I am going to be dealing with step change.
    However I am getting constant phone calls and I'm just ignoring them as I did put on the letter that I only accept correspondence in writing.
    Do I continue ignoring these calls?
    I haven't answered any yet and don't really plan to.
    Trying to hold off starting a plan for a few months until I can build up an emergency fund but I'm just worried in the mean time my creditors try to take action against me while I'm ignoring them. Not sure what powers they have (I'm in Scotland).
    Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Around 20K starting point :eek::eek::eek::eek: Will get there eventually :T
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 October 2018 at 1:51PM
    Options
    Hi Steff90, if it was me, I would continue to ignore all calls. If the calls continue, since you have written to them to advise that they do not have consent to phone you, I would make an official written complaint (reiterating that you only consent to written communication). :) The rules are the same in Scotland re consent.

Edit: How are you finding the DAS process? Hope it is all smooth running for you...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    1. How easy was it to find a new bank account?
    2. Do SC have a portal so you can keep track of what they are paying and to whom?
    3. Do I contact all creditors and inform them of my plans before the DMP set up and ask for SOA ?
    4. Do I cancel CPA and direct debits now?b
    5. It has been suggested I complain to PDL companies for irresponsible lending is this recommended at this stage?( I appreciate I used the money and I owe it) but really they don't check things properly just offer you more and more.).
    6. I have a credit facility with safety net credit. They have read only access to my bank account so know when my money goes in and out. Do I now try stop their access? (I know very irresponsible but in fairness never had any issues with them in this respect but the more I think about it, they know everything about my finances).
    7. People mention a safety fund. How do you even start this when your paying debt. Do budget for this within your DMP ?
    Finding a new account is easy. Just make sure that the new account is from a different banking group to all your creditors (to stop any chance of offset recovery).

I would cancel all your CPAs in writing to both the banks and creditors. I would also cancel the DDs.

To start an Emergency Fund, you simply delay the start of the DMP for three months, whilst simultaneously having all accounts frozen/on hold. This gives you some breathing space to build a small fund.

If it was me, I would also make complaints about the PDL, if the accounts were opened at a time that was clearly unaffordable and irresponsible. I would use the DEbtCamel guide for reference and letter templates.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Steff90
    Steff90 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    That's what I thought! Thank you.
    I haven't started it yet. Just holding off for a couple months so I can get some money put away. I'm waiting on phone calls from everyone as I haven't paid any of my credit cards this month but that said I will ignore until I'm ready. It's quite daunting!
    But we'll get there eventually 😊
    Around 20K starting point :eek::eek::eek::eek: Will get there eventually :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport