PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

icontinuetodream
icontinuetodream Posts: 992 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 11 October 2017 at 9:04AM in Old style MoneySaving
I hope no-one minds but I decided to start this new thread as the store cupboard challenge seems quite weighted to the omnivore diet.....;)

I have decided to stock my cupboards and want to make this last for as long as possible with as many different vegan meals as possible....I am hoping not to have to buy anything other than soya milk, fresh fruit and veg for the next six months!! :A

I am starting on 1st November 2011 and will post here at least once a week to show what I have cooked!! :D

Would love to have others along for the ride.....feel free to suggest, join in or question!!! :T

So, here is my current store cupboard list.....I have left some things off as I am looking at my recent purchases and haven't added things that I already had....I will add them later....once I have counted them....:rotfl:

TINS

CHICKPEAS - 12 X 400G
SWEET CORN - 12 X 326G
TOMATOES- CHOPPED - 12 X 400G
TOMATO PUREE - 12 X 200G
COCONUT MILK - 6 X 400ML
Water Chestnuts
Sliced Carrots in Water
Marrowfat Processed Peas
Stuffed vine leaves
Bamboo Shoots
Pease Pudding
Bombay Potato
Chick Pea Dahl
Mixed Beans

DRIED BEANS

BLACK BEANS 1KG
CANNELLINI BEANS 3KG
CHICK PEAS 3KG
DARK SPECKLED LENTILS 3KG
RED LENTILS 3KG
RED KIDNEY BEANS 3KG - 3 KG

GRAINS & PASTA ETC

PORRIDGE OATS 10KG
POLENTA 5KG
COUSCOUS 3KG
QUINOA 1K
WHITE BASMATI RICE - 20 KG
WILD RICE - 6 X 125G
SHORT GRAIN RICE 3KG
WHOLEWHEAT NOODLES - 8 X 300G
WHITE MACARONI - 12 X 500G
WHOLEWHEAT SHELLS - 12 X 500G

DRIED FRUIT,SEEDS & NUTS

APRICOTS 1KG - 1 KG
CRANBERRIES 1KG - 1 KG
CURRANTS 1KG - 1 KG
DATES - 1 KG
FIGS 1 KG - 1 KG
PAPAYA 1KG - 1 KG
RAISINS 1KG - 1 KG
ALMONDS 1KG - 1 KG
BRAZILS 1KG - 1 KG
WHOLE CASHEWS - 1 KG
HAZELNUTS 1KG - 1 KG
HEMP SEEDS 1KG - 1 KG
GOLDEN LINSEED 1KG - 1 KG
PUMPKIN SEEDS 1KG - 1 KG
SUNFLOWER SEEDS 1KG - 1 KG

SUNDRIES
MARIGOLD VEGAN L/S BOUILLON - 1 KG
CHEEZLY MOZZARELLA BLOCK - 6 X 190G
PASTA FLOUR - 5 X 1KG
WHITE SPELT FLOUR - 5 X 1KG
Organic Flour Plain
Organic Flour Self Raising
CHERRIES & BERRIES SPREAD - 6 X 284G
Red Wine Vinegar
Cider Vinegar
Canadian Maple Syrup
Redcurrant Jelly
Peanut butter - smooth
Wheat Bisks
Cranberry Sauce
Mint Sauce
Ginger Preserve
Brown Sauce
Sliced Beetroot
Sweet Pickled Onions
Olives Garlic Stuffed
Baby Beetroot
Sweet Piquante Peppers
Black Pitted Olives
Vegetable Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Stand & Stuff Tacos
Nacho Dinner Kit
Silken Tofu Firm
Longlife Soya Cream Single
Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe Mix
Gravy Granules

DRIED HERBS
Somaq
Basil
Oregano
Mint
Thyme
Mustard Seeds
Sage
Whole Cumin
Ground Coriander
White Wine Vinegar
Smoked Paprika
Dried Mixed Herbs
Ground Cinnamon
Ground Turmeric
Ground Cumin

FROZEN
Crinkle Cut Oven Chips
Okra - sliced rings
Oriental Vegetable Stir Fry
Freshly Frozen Baby Carrots
Parsnips
Peas
Rustic Mini Roasting Potatoes
Field Fresh Country Mix
Hash Browns
Button Sprouts with Chestnuts & Red Onion

FRESH FRUIT,VEG & HERBS

Growing Coriander
Growing Flat Leaf Parsley
Growing Basil
Growing Parsley
Celery
Ginger
Courgettes
Leeks
Chillies Mixed
Sweet Potatoes
Cabbage Savoy
Spring Onions Jumbo
Cauliflower
Garlic
Cabbage Red
Onions
Broccoli
Carrots
Avocado Baby
Oranges
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Lemons
Kiwi Fruit
Banana
Melon Galia
Melon Cantaloupe
Pomegranate

I am really looking forward to this...maybe it will keep me motivated!! :j:j:j

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000

Comments

• rachelhen
    rachelhen Posts: 546 Forumite
    I found your store cupboard list really helpful. My son is Vegan and I do make an effort when he comes home if I have time i.e. if Ihave more than 24hrs notice. I have resorted to buying veg pots or going to a cafe in Liverpool called The Egg Cafe for Vegan cake etc which they will wrap up for a take out.
    I am thinking about how to make a really delicious christmas dinner for him as well. He was just veggie till recently (10 mths ago). I totally respect his choice and want to feel that he really enjoys the food not just being polite by eating it.
  • hi rachelhen :wave:

there are a lot of things that can be suitable for a vegan 'special occasion' meal....depending on what your son likes!!

portabello mushrooms, filled with stuffing, topped with cranberry sauce and wrapped in filo pastry always go well in our house - the parcels can be served with all the usual 'celebration' veg and are simple to make, so not paticularly time consuming.... :D I will post some other ideas tomorrow as currently need to get some sleep :o :rotfl:
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • Flip!!!!! You've got enough there to feed half the population of Bournemouth for six months!

I am omnivorous, but don't see any compulsion to add animal products to every meal - so I shall be watching this thread to get some more ideas of how to get along without whenever possible and without having to spend loads of time convincing the nice man in the veggie Indian shop round the corner to give me his recipes.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am starting on 1st November 2011 and will post here at least once a week to show what I have cooked!! :D

Good day to start - World Vegan Day, the first day of World Vegan Month :T

I'm vegan too, so will be looking with interest at what you cook. I get stuck in a rut with cooking (which is not my favourite pastime anyway :()

ETA just noticed you have vast quantities of your storecupboard food there. I'd love to have that much as a fall-back, but we don't have much cupboard space unfortunately. I do my best though :-)
  • Thank you for this, my boys & I are vegetarian, but I want to move back to a vegan diet. I think I'll be inspired more by this!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Good list! I would add yellow split peas, for dahl. Also cornmeal, for corn bread.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Great thread! Bulgar wheat is a nice althernative to couscous and deserves a place in your storecupboard.

Ironically I have decided to go back to being vegetarian today, after being a vegan for just over a year. Most of my meals (curries, soups and stews) will still be vegan though and although I will not be actively eating or drinking dairy products I shall no longer scrutinise the type of fat etc used to cook these items.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Useful list, thanks icontinuetodream. I'm a vegetarian who's hovering on the fringes of veganism. Want to be a vegan for environmental reasons but not quite there yet.

Have considerably cut down on my intake of cheese and eggs, but have not yet been able to give up milk in my tea and coffee (though again have reduced the amount I use). Don't mind soya milk, but refuse to buy it because of the way it's grown, i.e. it seems to often lead to rainforest destruction. Have yet to try rice milk. Any other suggestions?
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • I have decided to stock my cupboards and want to make this last for as long as possible with as many different vegan meals as possible....I am hoping not to have to buy anything other than soya milk, fresh fruit and veg for the next six months!! :A
    Have you tried making soya milk? I have a soy milk maker (that also makes other grain milks, nut milks and seeds milks). It means you just need to keep soya beans, nuts or whatever you prefer to make your milks out of.

I really would love to have most of your store! I just have no means of storing that much food.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Oat milk is nice. Rice milk is rather like the juice from rice pudding, but nice enough with fruit to flavour it.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport