Dunster House Log Cabnis, nice cabin shame about the ingrained dirt

Comments

• I said I would update my dealings with Dunster House and here is the latest. I was fully refunded my deposit within 4 days of cancelling my order. So maybe complaining and not taking no for an answer kinda works....anyway I am now fully satisfied.
  • rikhew
    rikhew Posts: 1 Newbie
    Here I was, just about to put an order in when I thought I'd do a bit of research.
    But if I avoid Dunster House, as seems likely, where will I find a decent log cabin?
    Other suppliers also get negative reviews (waltons, kybotech). Has anyone had a positive experience when buying a log cabin?
  • Dave_xke
    Dave_xke Posts: 5 Forumite
    trumpton wrote: »
    I know we are supposed to be nice to new posters - and I swear I try to be nice to all on MSE - but JMcK's account just doesn't read like a genuine response, more like a promo for Dunster House.

Other complaints about Dunster House on Canyoutrustthem.com:

(Link removed on admins advice)

I also note that Dunster House were in trouble with the Office of fair Trading for unfair terms in their contracts in 2004:
    (Link removed)

I did see that there were favourable reviews of Dunster House on Prciegrabber, though strange that none of the reviewers had reviewed any other product at all. In fact it seems that 80 people joined Pricegrabber in just 6 months all just to post a review of Dunster House. Discussion about fake reviews here:

(Link removed)

It's good that Dunster House are taking complaints on board, but I feel that the number of dissatisfied customers amounts to more than 6 people on MSE.

I should add that I am not fully convinced by the early posts in this thread that complain about Dunster House either. It's always suspicious when people seem to appear as new posters either maoning about a company or excessively praising them - especially when they never post again as several 'newbies' in this thread haven't.

Unfortunatly I started thinking about Dunster houses performance after I paid for a 5 mtr x 3 mtr Avon style log cabin so started searching for real reviews not the ones on their own site.
    Got to say I am a little bit worried by what I have read so far. Good news that they have replied saying they are going to put there house in order so we'll see what happens.

I had a phone call today saying they have now got a delivery date for my log cabin 13 June 2012. I will change this date to the 14 June since my 17 year old son is off collage that day and from what one of the posters here said about the driver not leaving the pavement I might need him.

I am going to go through every part of the delivery piece by piece so any problems will be indentified BEFORE the driver leaves my house. I work hard for my money and don't give it away easily like many others on here I'm sure.

So in reply to the poster above I am not a plant and will give a full independent feedback on my experience from Dunster house.
    I did get a bit worried last week when I asked them for a base plan and they came back asking for post code or order No. since they couldn't locate my order and when placing the order I was told it would be no more than 14 days from the order being placed before it was delivered that was over two weeks ago and today I got the delivery date, I think I was lost in the system somewhere of course I could be wrong.

So in less than one month from today I will report back on my experience, I am also going to build it myself after I lay the base and move a sewer manhole.

Dave
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Linux sounds like a terrible company. Hope you get your deposit back soon.
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • Hi Dave xke, hope you post back as I would really be interested in your experience of Dunster House and their product this coming 13th/14th June. I'm looking at ordering a smaller Rhine Plus 300. I need a space outside of the house to work from all year round and it seems like a good choice. But having found this thread I'm a little worried.

I've gone on their website and I do notice all of the positive reviews against each product, but also note that if you go into the Review area there are quite a few negative 1 star posts aswell, so it seems to me they are not hiding negative reviews...

Also, if not Dunster House, would anyone recommend another log cabin company? I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do...

Many thanks, Colin.
  • sunshine01
    sunshine01 Posts: 90 Forumite
    I am also having problems with Dunster House. We had a very twisted piece of wood delivered and have found that the only way to contact Dunster House customer services is by e mail. Our cabin was delivered over 2 1/2 weeks ago, and their promise of customer services getting back to you in 2 -3 hours is total fabrication. they replied to my first e mail with 24 hours, asking for further information, they then took another 5 days to respond and confirm I could have a replacement part. That was 10 days ago, and still no replies to my e mails asking when it is going to be delivered.

Like others, they suggest heavy weights, we did the damp wood, bricks suggestion, then my husband parked the car on it for 24 hours, it doesnt work.

The sales team at the depot where we bought the cabin wont help, nor will sales. I have sent e mails to their managing director, still no response. We want to be able to use the building we have purchased, is that to much to ask?

this company really need to look at their after sales service, it is appalling.
  • Paul-southampton
    Paul-southampton Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2012 at 11:30AM
    Hi all, we are new to mse but we would like to share with you our experience with sm garden buildings. Now we are looking for a satisfactory solution and any tips are really appreciated. Below, have a look at the email we sent to their director, reply yet to be received. One of the options were Dunster but I guess ... maybe not. Does enyone have any good experience with budget log cabins that are quality and delivered on time?

Have a look on smgardenbuildings.co.uk they are very tempting and that is what we went for...i guess the major problem nowadays is that most companies order or manufacture when they get the money so they dont have enough stock nor they keep replacement parts. I guess we need a British producer who would stock the parts when they are needed for quick next day delivery.

Here's the story so far...

Dear Mr Ramage,

We are sending this letter following conversations with Catalin and Dana and today we were advised to email this address to get in touch directly with you.

Because you are a director for SM Imports Direct Ltd t/a SM Garden Buildings you are our last hope as we are getting nowhere with either Catalin or Dana so far.

We placed an order on 17 May, invoice 29 for haweswater cabin and we have not received the cabin to date. After weeks of promises the cabin was finally supposed to have been delivereed on Saturday 21 July at 9 am and when we called at 9.15, the driver named Jacob called us back at 10 after he had only arrived at the depot and he informed us about the allegedly damaged wooden logs...

We have obtained planning permission and we paid for a conrete base as per Catalin's instructions . We also moved our holidays and took days off work and now we have been asked by Catalin to wait another 5 weeks or getting refund of what we paid in May, however your prices have incased by over £300 since. You will also be aware that interest for debts currently stands at 8.5% with £70 statutory fee on top.

I would kindly ask you to review the situation at your earliest opportunity and liase with Catalin who is supposed to ring us back with a satisfactory solution by Monday 12 o'clock.

As you can appreciate we would like to avoid small claims court claim, trading standards involvment and possibly vat compliance, however if satisfactory solution is not reached by the end of next week , ie 28 July 2012 , we would have no other option but to claim full costs incurred in addition to £1230 that we paid for tha cabin, as these were incurred as the direct result of placing an order which had been paid for with your company and following Catalin's instructions regarding permission and base. These costs are in excess of £1000 and are likely to incase.

I hope you understand and you will help us here.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
  • Finally today we got our money back, but only what we paid back in May, no interest, no compensation. We got standard apology from the director but when we aksed pertinent questions asking for proper explanations we simply got an email from his employee to say that our managing director asked us to refund your money. What a customer service it is? NOT

On top of that it turns out we were ill advised on how to build our concrete base and had to pay hundreds more to buy new cabin which arrives this Friday.

It comes from Dunster which so far have gone out of the way when they heard about our saga with sm garden buildings and their staff. So far so good but I will keep you posted.

I agree Catalin is rude, I wasted in excess of 2 hours on the phone with him and he still would not appreciate our problem.

Hopefully our review will be useful when potential customers stumble across this 'business' thinking of buying.

I also posted comment on their website, but guess what only good ones get moderated so it doesn't appear there.

We are no asking a compensation or we will have to proceed with small claims court and trading standards.

Lost time, lost money, lost confidence
  • I wish I'd found this forum earlier. Was expecting our log cabin delivery yesterday. It didn't arrive, they say we didn't agree a date. Waited for them to get back to us yesterday , rang again today 3 times, stilL waiting for a delivery date and a return call. Found their attitude appalling, as other posts have said "nothing to do with us, we never said that" . No customer service at all. Rude and dismissive. That's before we've received the goods!
  • Paul-southampton
    Paul-southampton Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2012 at 11:30AM
    we would like to ask your opinions of the small claims court. we got some legal advice and the solicitor thinks it has strong chance of success. anyone experienced this first hand? we are asking sm garden to amicably resolve the issue and compensate some of our losses by tomorrow before we proceed with small claims court. what are your thoughts?

Dear Mr Ramage,

I can see that you are not willing to answer my queries or concerns and that you have only refunded £1230.

This does not take into account £70 plus interest £18.05.

This of course excludes the cost of amending the concrete base to fit the cabin from a new supplier if needed and to vary the planning permission, if needed, not to mention the costs in relation to days off work and further delays to put us in a position we would not have found ourselves in had it not been for your company failures. These are likely to be in a region of £500.

One other point: Catalin asked us to build a base of 272x372 cm which would suggest this was the size of the bearers. We need you to confirm whether this was right in principle, as we are now not too sure having checked some information with another company.

I would also respectfully point you to these links:

***removed links

We have now had to pay £1619.99 for a cabin arriving this Friday and as you appreciate we also need to rectify the concrete base.

Should we not receive an appropriate compensation which we value when sorted amicably by Thursday 26 July 2012 at £700, we will be persuing full compensation through small claims court and trading standards as appropriate. I attach a small claims court form filled as per costs to date which we should be filing once we know the full extent of losses suffered should we not hear from you by the close of day Thursday 26 July 2012.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure