How do I know if approach to buy shares is legit?

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,277
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Think if you saw the email and how professional this set-up is you'd understand better why I wavered over its legitimacy
    We see lots of scams on this board. One thing they all have is a flashy web site. That's easy to make in a few hours using a template and stock photos.

Likewise a professional looking email takes little time to do.

It's surprising how much faith people put in such little evidence.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    All the hallmarks of a well known and common scam. Almost to the letter.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Wildsound
    Wildsound Posts: 364
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think I would put £400 of my own money to bet that this is a scam, I've seen this (and worse) all too often and it worries me how all too often, people fall for it. Tell us the name of the shares, you are at no risk to disclose just this information.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Its 100% a scam, a classic one at that thats been around many years.
  • Others have beaten me to the punch here but, the name and address are freely available from the register of shareholders. Having said that no company instituting a take-over is going to make investors aware of it in advance. What's the first thing most shareholders would do if notified of a potential takeover before the market? Buy lots more shares since once the rumour is out the share price will jump - as such it makes it more difficult and more expensive for the acquiring company to get the shares it wants. Clearly a scam - don't touch it with a bargepole
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,646
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Slightly OT but Where could you inspect registers of shareholders of companies?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Slightly OT but Where could you inspect registers of shareholders of companies?

Companies House. The Company will be required to file an annual return.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    What everyone else said, most especially why would you think that £400 worth of shares is going to make any difference in a takeover? Even if it was £40k or £400k or £4M it would be immaterial to anything except the most tiny company.

I'm more surprised they are bothering with someone who only owns £400 worth it doesn't seem to be worth their time bilking you of that. Are you sure its just £400?

What is the company?
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I'm more surprised they are bothering with someone who only owns £400 worth it doesn't seem to be worth their time bilking you of that. Are you sure its just £400?

A scam such as this sometimes requires the seller to pay for some sort of "insurance bond" or "NDA fee" to guarantee that they won't blab about the takeover. This could be several grand, even for a small share holding.
    And if that is not enough to scare you off, when the transaction actually comes up you then of course need to tell them all your banking information, but instead of receiving a payment you lose control of your bank account and all your money. And the insurance bond. Oh, and your shares.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure