Repairing cut power cable for hedgetrimmer

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    I guess you are asking 'do I need to do crimping'? ;)

Can I respectfully suggest that you leave this repair to someone who knows what they are doing?
    You can respectfully suggest whatever you like, but this is a money saving site and connecting two wires inside a double insulated tool is not beyond the capability of most humans, especially ones who ask questions rather than proceding without caution.

Le Kirk's suggestion is a good one, although people receive shocks when these are connected the wrong way round, with the pronged end to the power source.

However, the tool is already open, so the answer here is probably, no, the crimped ends aren't essential, but a neat finish is, to avoid shorts from protruding wires, like Geoff says.

The most important thing to add is that all outdoor tools should be protected by an RCD trip switch rated for outdoors, which can be added at the power point if taking power from an indoor circuit, or an old outdoor one. That, more than anything else will save lives:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-rcd-adaptor/63731?kpid=63731&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1euI1_K-1QIVzLXtCh0LQgUgEAQYAiABEgLY4PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJrThYLzvtUCFU_IUQodCtIJ1g
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 August 2017 at 9:18AM
    Options
    Op if u use plug type, I suggest using ip66 rated connection. While u may not be using it when it's raining but plenty other ways moisture can get in, as an example when dragging wire over wet lawn or surface..

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/Exterior+Wiring+Accessories/sd2659/Cable+Connector+IP67/p96672
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Good point - perhaps I should have said "other suppliers are available, this link used for illustrative purposes only" but I wanted to get it posted.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options

And get the orange one it is cheaper than the black one !!
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blagdon-PowerSafe-Outdoor-Socket-Connector-x/dp/B0010ATNFW

Go to Aquarium & Pond retailer e.g. Maidenhead Aquatics or World of Water, and you can buy one of these off the shelf. Wire them in to both ends of the cable and join them together, and hey presto waterproof seal.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is an easy job. You will need a pair of wire cutters and insulation trimmers and a proper in-line cable joint.

The cable joint has a terminal block inside that you screw the wires into before screwing both halves of the external joint box back together and tightening up the gland nuts to secure th cable and provide a waterproof seal.

Takes less than 5 minutes in total and all the parts are available from your local DIY store.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought a male female and did it myself.if I can do it anyone can!
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    if the original cable was not long enough to use without an extension you just move the plug to the cut.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife bought a hedge trimmer and I sliced through the cable about two minutes after I started using it. I repaired it but cut through it the next time I used it. Three more repairs later, I gave up and bought one of these...

Makita-DUH523Z-cordless-hedge-trimmer.jpg
  • Gardener9
    Options
    Under the heading of "prevention is better than cure",this is an idea for Eric BV and anyone else who wants to use it, it has stopped me cutting my hedge trimmer cable for the last thirty years, I fit it to every new hedge trimmer I buy.
    The simplicity of this idea is that its inexpensive and effective, the solution to not cutting the cable of hedge trimmers is the width of the cutting blade openings, this is usually a width to allow twigs to enter the cutting shear action but to stop a finger going into the shear area.
    This same principal is achieved by putting the plastic flexible conduit onto the area of cable that is vulnerable, it does not physically protect the cable and would easily be cut if it could enter the shear area but by using the correct diameter conduit for each machines cutting openings, the protected area is simply pushed away from danger.
    I have used 1.5 metres of the conduit below on my hedge trimmer by simply removing the plug, slipping the conduit up the cable and fixing it to the rubber sleeve of the hedge trimmer with insulation tape, by putting a couple of turns of insulation tape around the electrical cable at the other end, your cable is now protected.
    Put the plug back on the cable and your good to go, this can be retro fitted but would be very easily introduced into production and in the last twenty years of using this idea, I have not been able to cut my cable, if the person using the hedge trimmer was particularly stupid the whole cable could be covered.
    Search, BLACK PLASTIC SPIRAL CONDUIT TUBE PIPE SPLIT & NON-SPLIT on e-bay, use the non-split as its more crush resistant, the 16mm outside dia is the one I use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure