Deposit query

Hi folks,
My father is selling his property to me, it's current value is just over 90k. He is offering it to me for 80k so would I still need a deposit?
Thank you.

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you are going to fund the purchase with a mortgage - yes.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,412
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, if you have a poor credit history, it values up OK, and you use the right lender.

No, if you have a decent credit history, it values up OK, and you use the right lender.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    How have you established the current value?

Hopefully not from an estate agent's marketing appraisal.

If you follow the idea of a concessionary purchase, a surveyor is going to value the property for the lender and the whole case is going to fall apart if the valuation doesn't stack up.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ladybabe
    ladybabe Posts: 374
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    if you are taking a mortgage then yes, how much depends on credit score
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts