MLMs - Scentsy, PartyLite, Younique etc.

Options
Hi,

I'm a full-time teacher and was thinking of joining a MLM to boost my income. I obviously don't have loads of spare time to work, but (as strange as it sounds!!) I thought it would be something that I could use as more of a hobby and something to take my mind off the stresses of school. At the same time, I don't want to do it for the sake of it and end up losing money and getting overly stressed with it. Just an extra £100 a month would do nicely!

I was really interested in joining Scentsy because myself and my friends are into Yankee candles but the prices are so high I wasn't sure I'd actually get any sales. I've seen PartyLite too, but not sure if anyone would want to buy candles that they haven't heard of/smelt.

My friend has a 1 year old and is doing Younique at the moment, which I also feel is overpriced, and Avon seems to have oversaturated the market (I've done it once before years ago). In a dream world, I would love to own my own business and even maybe go part-time!

Anyone got any other companies or any advice/experience in this field?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you search the board there are plenty of threads about MLMs, mostly uncomplimentary except those by persons with a vested interest. No experience but my advice is don't bother.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm afraid I also echo Lincroft's post- MLM 'party' selling is not a quick option to make money, only to lose friends. How many times can you tap your friends to host a party before they start avoiding you, how many 'pity' sales can you make before people stop buying?

You will have to go out and work to get parties, or to sell via door to door catalogue sales (depending on which you choose), then follow up to collect money, handle non payers and then deliver anything you've sold. Then to start increasing your team you will have to persuade your friends to sign up to pay for their own pack, and then compete with them to target your pool of friends to host more parties.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I think as a teacher you would probably do best offering tutoring services either TEFL throughout the year or helping students near GCSE / SATS time
  • wongawonga
    Options
    No surprise here then along comes a Scentsy Rep touting for recruits in breach of site rules.:eek:

( Thanked in error can't remove.)
  • Beartricks
    Options
    MLMs seem to be a bit of an ongoing joke online. They're generally considered to be something of a scam.
  • Fallen-Angel
    Options
    Ex Younique rep here. I did it for almost 2 years and the most I made in one month was £100 profit on my first Christmas. I never had a month as good as that again, I was lucky to hit £10 a month if anything. I also did Jamberry and didn't make any profit.

Most people struggle to earn back the start up fee. The products are expensive and on par with low end brands on the most part.

Have a read of Elle Beau - The Anti Blogger. She decided to document her Younique journey after she got out. This wasn't exactly the same as my journey but I saw a lot of what happened to her from within.

**This isn't my blog**
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ex Younique rep here. I did it for almost 2 years and the most I made in one month was £100 profit on my first Christmas. I never had a month as good as that again, I was lucky to hit £10 a month if anything

How many hours did you spend to get the £100 profit and how many to get £10 profit?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Look into matched betting instead, as it’s two fold. Matched betting itself you can do for free via MSE or can pay for a site at about £15-20 per month that makes it easier. And with the paid sites you can refer people, although you don’t need to be a paying member to do so.

Through matched betting I probably make about £700-1200 per month spending on the offers, all tax free, and through affiliate referrals I make a steady £110-140 a month which is great as it is passive income.

No need to know anything about betting. I often feel people that do MLM are daft when there’s schemes like these around!
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    We have literally lost friends to MLM's. They become obsessed, its cult like. All she would talk about was her great products, and how we should try them. When we said no (stupid expensive snake oil) she said we were un supportive, negative and not needed in her life and will surround herself by people of the same mindset as her.

Quite a relief to us, as being sold to day in day out is tiring.

MLM = A way to lose friends, and money. Unless you sit at the top of the MLM triangle shaped object
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We have literally lost friends to MLM's. They become obsessed, its cult like. All she would talk about was her great products, and how we should try them. When we said no (stupid expensive snake oil) she said we were un supportive, negative and not needed in her life and will surround herself by people of the same mindset as her.

Quite a relief to us, as being sold to day in day out is tiring.

MLM = A way to lose friends, and money. Unless you sit at the top of the MLM triangle shaped object

Agree with all of that whole heartedly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport