PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    I've just finished the new Philippa Gregory "The Last Tudor" (half price @ Waterstones).
    I've read all her previous books and am usually first in line when a new book comes out. This one was brilliant and I absolutely loved it. Didn't know much about Lady Jane Grey and her sisters so reading this has been a revelation - although I realise it's "faction" to make the read more entertaining.
    Recommended.
    Normal people worry me.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 August 2017 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Had a really good discussion on The Wonder, by Emma Donoghue this morning in book group.

Initially, most said they didn't like it, but after few questions from me and reflecting in the setting, character development, motives, themes etc, they all decided it was very interesting.

I love it when things work like that. Like being back with a good A-level class - but no marking of essays at the end!

We have Helen Dunmore's The Exposure next. I like her work.

Reading Conclave by Robert Harris now.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Had a really good discussion on The Wonder, by Emma Donoghue this morning in book group.

Initially, most said they didn't like it, but after few questions from me and reflecting in the setting, character development, motives, themes etc, they all decided it was very interesting.

I love it when things work like that. Like being back with a good A-level class - but no marking of essays at the end!

We have Helen Dunmore's The Exposure next. I like her work.

Reading The Conclave by Robert Harris now.

I read The Wonder recently and thought it was interesting, but it did feel that there was quite a lot of the book that was repetitive 'padding', especially in the second half. I just felt that a big chunk of it could have disappeared without affecting the story or the pace.

I love Helen Dunmore too - I was so sad to hear of her death recently, she was such a talented writer. A Spell of Winter is probably my favourite novel of hers, despite the very dark subject matter.
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    Hope everyone's had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend.

My latest library choices turned out to be not very exciting, they were all default selections as I couldn't actually find any that I'd shortlisted from here. :( Hopefully next time will be better. :)

But I found this list of Mood-Boosting books, some of which look interesting:

http://reading-well.org.uk/books/mood-boosting-books/chosen-by-reading-groups-2016
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    Options
    I just finished reading Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly and it was such an engrossing study of the women who were instrumental in the Space Age Program in the USA, yet their stories were not part of the History of the Space Age Program. The most remarkable thing is that most of the women were African American in a time of racial segregation, racism and prejudice and a political landscape that said that women should be satisfied with staying in the home looking after their husbands and children. I would give this book 10/10
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    The Intelligent Body: Reversing Chronic Fatigue and Pain from the Inside Out - K.L.Davies.

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dare to Remember - Susanna Beard. Her first book.

Insightful portrayal of the confusion and anguish suffered by a young woman who was attacked and traumatised in an incident in which her close friend died and the guilt she suffers at being the survivor. She has no recall of the incident and and emotionally move on until she can discover whether whether her actions played any part in her friend's death.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 August 2017 at 8:19AM
    Options
    I just finished reading Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly and it was such an engrossing study of the women who were instrumental in the Space Age Program in the USA, yet their stories were not part of the History of the Space Age Program. The most remarkable thing is that most of the women were African American in a time of racial segregation, racism and prejudice and a political landscape that said that women should be satisfied with staying in the home looking after their husbands and children. I would give this book 10/10

It was an excellent film. I didn't know who wrote the book, but I will add it to my request list for our book group. Should be typing that up now, in fact. :)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jane Eyre finished - just as good as I remembered.

Next book will be another 'blast from the past'. although more recent. It's "What Katy Did" by Susan Coolidge for "a book you loved as a child".
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    Options
    I read my copy of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne yesterday and it was so moving. It is better than the excellent film based on this book. I would give this book 9.5/10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure