Universal Credit Job Search Help and Advice

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Please define written evidence because mine has actually written into my agreement that i take my log ins for online jobsearch and my email, i arent even on uc either. Therefore they think they can make me log in in front of them so that they can look at my private online accounts.

I must say I'd have disputed that at the time of agreeing the commitment, either that or create a separate email account for jobsearch.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    pmduk wrote: »
    I must say I'd have disputed that at the time of agreeing the commitment, either that or create a separate email account for jobsearch.

Occasionally they will review your agreement and ask if you want to change anything. Saying yes is a waste of time because they always refuse to change what you want to change. The question is if they use it to sanction you could you beat it based on the idea of inadmissible evidence or would you still get sanctioned if what they found was iffy. When i say iffy i mean one of the things they like to sanction people for. I have heard of one person being sanctioned because they didn’t spend long enough on each page of jobs on find a job website.
  • pmduk
    I have heard of one person being sanctioned because they didn’t spend long enough on each page of jobs on find a job website.

I think they might be a bit of an iffy tale, without tracking software on the PC concerned I don't see a way of them knowing how long you spend on each page of a website.

I mean no offence to you, it just sounds like one of these urban myths that grows out of nowhere.
  • donnajunkie
    I think they might be a bit of an iffy tale, without tracking software on the PC concerned I don't see a way of them knowing how long you spend on each page of a website.

I mean no offence to you, it just sounds like one of these urban myths that grows out of nowhere.

On find a job everything is timed. It says what time you were on each page of jobs. So for example if you were on page 1 at 5.53pm and then page 2 at 5.54pm they may argue you didnt spend long enough looking at the jobs. This is surely beatable isnt it because theres no stipulation on how long you spend doing any one task except maybe in total which is 35 hours on uc.
  • pmduk
    Thank goodness I've always maintained good relationships with work coaches. Fortunately, I've never had an issue, touch wood.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    On find a job everything is timed. It says what time you were on each page of jobs. So for example if you were on page 1 at 5.53pm and then page 2 at 5.54pm they may argue you didnt spend long enough looking at the jobs. This is surely beatable isnt it because theres no stipulation on how long you spend doing any one task except maybe in total which is 35 hours on uc.

But work coaches don't have access to this to see what you are or aren't doing. Talk about scaremongering.
  • pmduk
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    But work coaches don't have access to this to see what you are or aren't doing. Talk about scaremongering.

If you read the thread the WC had demanded all logins as part of the jobseeker's commitment.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you read the thread the WC had demanded all logins as part of the jobseeker's commitment.

Yes which would go against DWP policy, they can only request the customer to login in front of the WC on a WAD, which they can refuse, they cannot demand to be given login details and passwords.

I also don't believe that Find a Job would keep a record of this in a log on the customers account for anybody to see.

So as I say, scaremongering.
  • Find a Job records the individual job adverts you have viewed, on what date and the time, it also records the searches you have made, for example it will say "Newcastle Page 2" and next to it states the date and time viewed. So therefore it is easy to see how long you spend on each page because you can work it out from looking at the times.

However, that doesn't suggest you are not spending enough time on pages, if you look at that page and move on a minute later that is because the job titles are not relevant to you, so of course your not spending more time on the page.

As already mentioned work coaches do not have access to your account anyway.

I don't claim UC I claim JSA but I'm still asked for evidence, so all I do is screenshot the confirmation emails and screens when I have applied for a job on my phone, and even if I have completed it on a computer or my laptop I just access my emails on my phone and screenshot the email, I then save them all in photos in a folder called Jobs and my coach looks at it every fortnight.

I also take any letters I have received confirming anything, offering interviews or rejections and any jobs I want to emphasise that I have applied for I print the email and take that.

Remember too that your work coach will want to know you have spent your time on job seeking activities not just applying for jobs, so the total time they ask you to spend doing stuff is meant to mean time spent on job seeking activities not just applying for jobs.

E.G.

1. Updating CV and creating cover letters
    2. Company research
    3. Careers appointments
    4. Attending interviews
    5. Completing courses, at college or distance learning
    6. Voluntary work
  • donnajunkie
    Thank goodness I've always maintained good relationships with work coaches. Fortunately, I've never had an issue, touch wood.

Work coaches vary. Some are unscrupulous. I guess no matter how correct you are some may still try anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure