PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ive started knitting hats - dont know why except I can do it while Im watching the tv without really paying that much attention to my knitting. And my first one was so nice my daughter whisked it off saying it suited her better.

I bought a circular needle to knit seemless now but it seems I bought it too long and its been and effort to knit on it.

Is there anyway I can shorten the plastic middle bit successfully or do I need to buy a shorter one?

xxp00
  • p00 wrote: »
    Ive started knitting hats - dont know why except I can do it while Im watching the tv without really paying that much attention to my knitting. And my first one was so nice my daughter whisked it off saying it suited her better.

I bought a circular needle to knit seemless now but it seems I bought it too long and its been and effort to knit on it.

Is there anyway I can shorten the plastic middle bit successfully or do I need to buy a shorter one?

xxp00

For hats, I find it easier to use five double pointed needles.
    Jan GC £96.95/£120; NSD 26/31
    Feb GC £113.19/£120: NSD 24/29
    Mar GC £54.22/£150 NSD 10/12

2012 Aim - To clear credit cards in 2012
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    I use a 16" circular for hats.
    Don't know of a way to shorten the cables as the join with the needle part needs to be really smooth or the stitches will snag.

I think the best way is to go for interchangeables,
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • I'm a keen 'lurker' on this thread as I love to knit, but I'm not as skilled as most of you and I'm certainly not very quick.

However, recently I have finished a project that I started over three years ago! It's a green and cream thick tea cosy and I'm so proud that I finally finished it that I've but a picture on my blog.

Although I've started on another tea cosy (hopefully a bit quicker this time) I also have a few other projects in my knitting bag. One is the PG Tips Monkey which my DH wanted me to adapt to make into a golf club cover. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this - it will probably become a present for my DD.

I also signed up for a three-month subscription to Lets Knit for £1, so I'm looking forward to receiving them.
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Lovely cuddles.

Here is the drop stitch scarf I made mum for Mothers Day....washed and hung to lengthen last night and off to post it today :). I hope she likes it.
    PIC_9199_medium.JPG
    PIC_9181_medium.JPG

wow that looks really great, the pattern was lovely, not seen that before. mind you as i was self taught as i child i only know knit, purl or cable so have to do things like moss or any other combination of the three. am struggling with a make it kit myself. it looks easy enough but realised what part i didnt need to take any notice of may well turn out to be a major part of the pattern. so am back to my crochet blanket that i pull out now and again when i need a break from whatever project i am at at the time. mind you have quite a few half finished things. one in particular is causing me grief as unfortunately as it was getting so involved i left it for a while and now dont know what bit i was up to and dd2 not happy as they are fingerless gloves and she is nagging me daily that it will be summer soon and she will never get to wear them :o
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Guess who this is :D He's part of a party of people that are being knitted for a forthcoming charity Eb*y event. There are more pictures on my homepage

th_SAM_2352.jpg
  • pennib
    Ooh forgot to say I love your scarf Orkney your mum will love it.
    Cuddles I thought you were just starting out knitting? If so you have come a long way with your knitting. Hope the bag felted up OK
  • NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    Please could somebody tell me how to bring my photos across from photobucket properly! I feel as though I'm really shouting at you with a photo. It's not as though I'm even that pleased with this one. In my effort to use up part balls (the rest of the 500gm was a lovely Aran waistcoat), I knitted this. Wasn't feeling good from the start. Think the acrylic is too stiff for garter stitch. Have done some pretty bits to damp down the colour a bit. Will steam press again to soften it. Oh well, at least I can get back to some knitting now.
    (See all you newbie knitters, we all go a bit weird with our knitting sometimes, even after 50 years!)
    NJDSCF0196.jpg
  • pennib
    I will leave somebody else to explain about photobucket otherwise you will get into
    a right muddle if I tried!
    That's such a nice coloured jacket. The running stitch around the bottom is a great
    addition. I've been knitting many years as well and still make horrendous mistakes.
    But if this is a mistake I think it is a lovely one!
  • andymandy
    andymandy Posts: 274 Forumite
    Hello
    Just thought I'd pop in to say hello. I've knitted on and off for years and years and years, probably since I was in my early teens if not earlier, and go through phases when I knit a lot. I always have a cupboard full of yarn of one kind or another. I sense another "phase" approaching.

To ease me back in, I have knitted a quick scarf and rosette which, if anybody is interested, are on my bl*g.

I look forward to getting to know you

How did you make the rosette its lovely.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback