National Insurance Credits

I have been receiving Job Seekers Allowance based on my national insurance contribution record. This is about to run out and it has been suggested that I continue to sign for contributions only. I am in my late fifties and may not find another job. My husband earns too much for us to claim for Universal Credit. How can I find out whether I have made enough NI contributions for my state pension? Also if I just sign on for credits do I have to continue to actively seek work and go into the Job Centre every fortnight as I do now?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Roundhay23 wrote: »
    I have been receiving Job Seekers Allowance based on my national insurance contribution record. This is about to run out and it has been suggested that I continue to sign for contributions only. I am in my late fifties and may not find another job. My husband earns too much for us to claim for Universal Credit. How can I find out whether I have made enough NI contributions for my state pension? Also if I just sign on for credits do I have to continue to actively seek work and go into the Job Centre every fortnight as I do now?
    Check your pension here. https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

If you continue to claim JSA for your NI credits only then the rules are the same as they would be if you were receiving the money.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    You can also contact HMRC NI to get a complete Ni record https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • You would in most cases need 35 years of N.I. contributions to get a full state pension at 66, or a minimum of 10 years to get a reduced pension.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    venison wrote: »
    You would in most cases need 35 years of N.I. contributions to get a full state pension at 66, or a minimum of 10 years to get a reduced pension.

But of course the number of years needed can be changed by the government. It was 44 for men and 39 for men before it went down to 30 for both before going back up to 35.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure