Is Wi-Fi safe?

Comments

• peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Yeah it's easy to say the energy levels involved are small, but the energy levels involved in the synapses of my brain circuits are also very small! They are however quite complex circuits.

I think the jury are out on the "If it's not ionizing, its insignificant argument"

I think many of these arguments are based on very rudimentary thinking as in:

Very small = not as big as a 2 pound hammer
    Ionizing = a bit like a little spanner in the works (no spanner, no loose bolts)

If you attack the lock on my Audi with a 2lb hammer then you are most unlikely to get in unless you shift the focus of your blows to the window, and very likely to draw attention to yourself to the extent that someone will take your hammer and stop you, just like I'd stop you if you tried to connect a red wire to my left ear and a black one to my right! I don't worry about hammer attacks on my Audi.

If you try a 13mm spanner, you'll find it is quieter, might cause a few scratches, but is equally useless at overcoming the security system. I don't worry about spanner attacks.

However, if you have cloned my keyfob either by my bad luck or your design, then you can get in silently using tiny amounts of energy and my Audi might be gone in the morning.

See what I mean?

Nah, thought not!
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    peterbaker wrote: »
    Yeah it's easy to say the energy levels involved are small, but the energy levels involved in the synapses of my brain circuits are also very small! They are however quite complex circuits.

Yet sticking someone's head in some of the world's most powerful electromagnets doesn't seem to affect their thinking at all. So why something that is only in the order of milliwatts would do anything....
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • If non-ionising radiation at the levels you talk of have detrimental health effects, the mechanism would be different from the health effects that ionising radiation has at high doses. However, there has been no convincing demonstration of such health effects. Of course, that doesn't mean that such effects will never be discovered, but if they are they are almost certainly going to be very small effects. There is, however, well know health affects from unecessary worry about radiation.
  • superscaper
    Forumite
    peterbaker wrote: »

See what I mean?

Nah, thought not!

That's pretty patronising, especially since you don't know my background or anything about me or the other posters.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • Millionare
    Millionare Posts: 395 Forumite
    Heres one for you all to ponder and is true and something that may make you think otherwise.

I personally cannot use Bluetooth dongles and do not use any wireless networks or wireless technology in regards to my computer. and there is a reason for this. I also limit the use of mobile calls and it isnt because im being paranoid.

(Short version of events not in any order)

When I brought a wireless dongle to stick in my computer and turned it on orginally i started to get a tighting of the chest which gradually increased untill it felt like i was going to have a heart attack.

At the time i wasnt sure what it was, anyway to cut a long story short I replaced the bluetooth dongle with another one when I used it again a while later exactly the same thing happened. the pain built up in my chest and felt like someone had grabbed hold of my chest/heart and was squeezing the life out of it. I turned off the dongle and my chest straight away started relaxing till the pain disappered. This a TRUE and ive never had the pain before or after this. thats why i dont use bluettoth headsets.

These use the same freq as microwaves which are banned in russia for health reasons.

Also I get tingling sensations on my arms near wireless routers or adapters in laptops and computers.

Im not being paraniod because its happened at variuos peoples houses that ive gone to not knowing they had any wireless network up and running. but ive guesssed corretly everytime that they have. without even realisng a computers around because of the tingling sensations.

I get headaches when using Mobiles for more than 10-15 mins at a time. ive been told im sensitive to these waves by my GP.

If this micro and radio waves can go through brick walls, they can def go through you.
  • (off topic - and my apologies, but what Audi you got?....and no I ain't planning on coming over to clone the fob - just interested as I like them :D)

I haven't read the entire posts, and did see it gettign a bit technical. This might sound silly, and I'm not saying I do such stuff, but maybe look into some kind of feng shui type of stuff to neutralise the area? Just a thought. Might make you 'feel' more comfy. I'm not joking either - just a suggestion.

Cheers :)
    "The future needs a big kiss"
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    me wrote:
    See what I mean?
    Nah, thought not!
    That's pretty patronising, especially since you don't know my background or anything about me or the other posters.!
    Wasn't meant to be patronising superscraper - it was meant to be self-effacing.

But feel free to take it as patronising if it suits your needs:-)

PS Yes typeractive I have some books on the subject!
  • peterbaker wrote: »
    See what I mean?

No - as you seem to be mixing metaphores and technologies and talking complete pap whilst worrying about nothing.
  • superscaper
    Forumite
    Millionare wrote: »
    If this micro and radio waves can go through brick walls, they can def go through you.

Whether they are damaging or not to the extent some people believe, the above statement is meaningless. Gamma radiation can go through much more material than alpha radiation. But gamma is far less damaging to people precisely BECAUSE it can more easily pass through you.
    Moss
  • superscaper
    Forumite
    No - as you seem to be mixing metaphores and technologies and talking complete pap whilst worrying about nothing.

I didn't understand most of the analogy either. It would be easier to talk in the actual terms.
    Moss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport