How often do you back up?

Options

Comments

• sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    hmmm... can you expand on the built in function pls? ..and how would I go about restoring a PC from the backups?

I think it depends on the pc make. The computer I'm using came with two dvd recovery discs. Puting a dvd in and restarting erases all info and restores the computer to the way it was when bought

My sister's HP on the other hand, came with a 'recovery partition' where all the recovery stuff is stored - but if you want to you can put the contents onto disc and empty the partition to free up space:

e.g. here
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the ones who know a bit are posting here, but what about people like me who don't know their incrementals from our mentals? You can be as technical as you like, but in the end if it looks complicated people like me just aren't going to do it! What are the simple solutions to this?

How much do you "lose" when you turn off System Restore, like I have had to do when getting trojans?

Is it really necessary to reinstall everything like Tony does - isn't there a way of keeping computers up to scratch without doing this?

I make occasional back ups on CD of stuff, but how much and what should we be backing up and how often?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Tony_H_3
    Tony_H_3 Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These are good questions Fran, one mans pleasure is another mans poison so to speak. My solution is perfect for stand alone "generic" machines, but perhaps not so suitable for the likes of "Dell", "Time" or whatever brand. The same applies to a server or network PC where is would be much more critical to run frequent backups!
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's hard for me to recommend Acronis because I haven't seen the most recent version. I thought it would be hard because it comes with a big long manual.

In the end all I did was:
    Start it
    click 'Create an image of partition or hard drive'
    click 'c drive'
    click 'save to "fixed hard drive"' (cause I wanted to save to another hard drive)
    set the slider to 'maximum compression' (= takes longer)

and it started.

In actual fact I really only clicked 'next', 'next' ,'next' because most of those options were pre-selected

Acronis copies everything including the operating system so if I ever have to use the backup, the computer should be in every respect EXACTLY how I had it when I made the backup.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought an external hard drive - Maxtor One Touch 80gb storage for £75. This came bundled with Dantz Retrospect backup software. My backup strategy is as follows

Daily backup - everything in Documents & Settings (all users). An incremental backup runs automatically every day at 2.00 am Mon-Sat. On Sunday a recycle backup runs - this reuses the media (the Maxtor drive) to prevent endless incremental backups being stored.

Weekly backup - complete image of Drive C. To be honest, if I had to completely restore my main drive, I would probably reformat and reinstall from scratch and then restore the Daily Backup of Documents & Settings.

The Retrospect software has a "wizard" to help you set up these automatic backups. They run unattended, even if no user is logged on.

So, for £75 and about an hour's initial setup, I have no worries :)

I'm not keen on OEM Restore options as they generally restore everything to the state that existed when the PC was shipped, so any saved files created by the owner are lost.

I used System Restore at the weekend on another PC (friends), as Windows was not fully loading. I'm not yet convinced that this PC is completely stable, so I've backed up the data and will reformat that drive when the extra memory arrives!

Cheers
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • LincsLad_3
    LincsLad_3 Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    Can I also ask, of those who make backups, how many keep them on top of / next to / in the same room as / the PC they are backups of?

Such backups are fine in the case of HDD failure, but may be of little use if the PC is stolen (and the CDs / external HDD / whatever go with it) or, God forbid, in the event of a house fire. If your data is "irreplaceable" or would cause personal or financial loss, you should keep copies off-site - think about asking family or friends to store a CD or two for you.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    Fran wrote:
    All the ones who know a bit are posting here, but what about people like me who don't know their incrementals from our mentals? You can be as technical as you like, but in the end if it looks complicated people like me just aren't going to do it! What are the simple solutions to this?

How much do you "lose" when you turn off System Restore, like I have had to do when getting trojans?

Is it really necessary to reinstall everything like Tony does - isn't there a way of keeping computers up to scratch without doing this?

I make occasional back ups on CD of stuff, but how much and what should we be backing up and how often?

Thanks Fran...you just said all that I was thinking!

I know I should be doing this...but it's all so confusing.

Could someone do an 'idiot's guide' please or post a link to something with very small words?

For instance...I found THIS...is this any good? Is there an easier way or any free back-up software that isn't too complicated?
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    flea72 wrote:
    never, still cant find an way to do it easy on XP - where have they hidden the one touch backup button?
    allexie wrote:
    For instance...I found THIS...is this any good? Is there an easier way or any free back-up software that isn't too complicated?

@allexie

You've linked to the built-in Windows Utility, ntbackup.exe. I believe this is what flea was alluding to in his question.

It's quite useful and simple to use for basic back-up and recovery management, but it won't backup to CD-R/DVD-R. You have to backup to disk first then burn the backup files.

Unfortunately this useful little utility isn't installed by default in XP Home.

It is however available on the XP Home installation CD. Browse to the CD folder (where E: is for example the CD drive) E:\ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBackup and run the installer NTBACKUP.MSI.

After installation the tool shortcut is found in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Backup.

Simple user guide here

HTH

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    @allexie

Unfortunately this useful little utility isn't installed by default in XP Home.

It is however available on the XP Home installation CD. Browse to the CD folder (where E: is for example the CD drive) E:\ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBackup and run the installer NTBACKUP.MSI.

TOG

Aarrgghhh! My XP came pre-installed on the computer and I didn't get an installation CD!
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    Allexie wrote:
    Aarrgghhh! My XP came pre-installed on the computer and I didn't get an installation CD!

Is it an HP or Compaq?

If it is try this

If not I can only find one download link at the mo http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi, but unfortunately the site appears to be down.

If you like you can PM with your e-mail address and I'll send the file to you. It's only 775KB.

TOG
    604!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills