Bath bomb, Bath melt & Soap recipes (merged)

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I used 3 parts bicarb to 1 part citric so pretty close... ok... I'll have another crack at some tonight if I get a chance... I think the key is less water, more oil... although someone on another website mentioned rubbing alcohol... something else to try ;)

Maybe I'll start contemplating corn starch too...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • lyns_2
    lyns_2 Posts: 314 Forumite
    tine wrote:
    I used 3 parts bicarb to 1 part citric so pretty close... ok... I'll have another crack at some tonight if I get a chance... I think the key is less water, more oil... although someone on another website mentioned rubbing alcohol... something else to try ;)

Maybe I'll start contemplating corn starch too...

yes i just poured the oil in i think it was about 3or4 tea spoons also the tighter you pack it the better the fizz
    Number 4 due 21st jan
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Whatever you do, don't make anything that comes out yellow, bathing in a bath that is wee coloured isn't pleasant!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• lyns_2
    lyns_2 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Well i have now tested them and 2 out of the 4 batches fizz up nice the other 2 don't do much at all.
    Number 4 due 21st jan
  • amyandoli
    amyandoli Posts: 470 Forumite
    I've read elsewhere on the net that it's possible to melt down Dove soap, add decorative bits- like oats etc, then reshape/mould it= handmade look.

Anyone know if this is possible with own brand soaps too?

I'm thinking if so I'll whip up several batches, various shapes and sizes and give them in a kilner jar as a gift...
  • 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Havn't heard of this so can't be much help but that does sound like an ace idea
  • amyandoli
    amyandoli Posts: 470 Forumite
    Here's where I found it...

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemade-gifts/soap.shtml

lots of cool ideas on here- but I'm really liking the idea of this, just worried about saponification etc... (try it on the dreaded inlaws first :rotfl:!)
  • I_am_mad
    I_am_mad Posts: 1,461 Forumite
    Hello I am thinking about making some bath bombs and soap to sell at work. I was wondering what the laws are on making these with things such as ingredients etc. Do the customers need to know what is in the products for allergy reasons? Also if any one has any tips and websites for me to use?

Thank you all for your time xx
    :jHas saved so much money since joining this forum, thanks to all you kind people out there :j
  • melissa75_2
    melissa75_2 Posts: 2,801 Forumite
    Hi, I got loads of ingredients a while ago to make soaps and bath bombs, but I had a few disasters so I went back to card making instead. If I pluck up the courage I'll have another go.
    I have seen loads of bath products for sale which are hand made on ebay and on websites where the seller makes no mention of having their products tested. Others that I have seen do, but I know it is really expensive.
    I was a member of a forum on making bath products it was called "fresholi" or something, people will give you loads of tips and advice on there.
    The ingredients themselves are expensive because of the high postage, it would be a lot cheaper I would think if you could find a shop in your area that sells the stuff. Ebay has a lot of kits that contain everything that you need to get you started. You can't make a lot out of the kits but its a great way to try before you spend a fortune.
  • 2cats1kid
    2cats1kid Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    As far as I am aware you have to comply with safety standards for the sale of toiletries. You have to submit your soaps etc. to a lab for safety testing, together with your recipe or recipes and have to get each recipe retested if you change it. I thought about selling handmade soaps but the legalities of it were just too much of a faff for me, so I make for myself and friends and family now.

Also, be aware that if you go into large scale soap making you will need a lot of space. I make soap in 4.5lb batches, and each batch needs slicing and stacking to dry it out, which takes up a heap of room. The batches need to dry out for at least 6 weeks, ideally more, so they hang around for a long time, and you are going to need several batches even to do a craft fair or something.

The ingredients are expensive, and while you will get some people prepared to pay a premium for a quality product, you will get lots more who will buy Tesco value soap for 15p a pop!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure