NEW - Redundancy Help. Protect yourself if redundancy looms or you're already there

Options
fermi
fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
edited 29 November 2011 at 1:36PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
There's a new site article - this has not been added to the resource bar yet, so...

Link: Redundancy Help - protect yourself if redundancy looms or you're already there.
Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed

Comments

• jimmyowens
    Options
    am I entitled to my redundancy payment if I leave before a finishing date. even though I am lossing my job.
    I was told I would probably be employed until September of this year. I have worked at the same company for twenty years and i am due a large payment, can the company hold this payment back
  • wingobins
    wingobins Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2009 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Some very useful info in these links, thankyou.
    My husband is about to be made redundant for the second time in 2 years and I know he is very worried about losing the house. I can show him all this info to ease his worries a little.

jimmyowens...not sure if this answers your question but when I was made redundant after 16 years and also my husband who worked for 22 years (seperate companies), both employers allowed early leave anyway as there was no point in staying (nothing much to do) and we both got all entitlements. HTH
    Big thanks to all who contribute to the forums. Be lucky everyone and be safe!
  • Uncle_heFTy
    Options
    I've bee made redundant for the second time in 6 years (incidentally by the same individual - that's spooky) and have learned that the tender age of 60+ isn't the best time for it to happen.

However, my resolve is to remain calm, take advantage of the career transition package (in reality a chance for highly paid HR consultants to make me realise that my CV is not the best and that I am too old to be a male model :rotfl:) and to consider a number of options. Luckily my wife is still working and we have a (relatively) small mortgage compared to the value of our property.

What is scary is that I am frightened witless about self-employment yet I am considering a number of things;
    Becoming a driving instructor (it costs @£3,500)
    Becoming a proof reader (it costs @£280)
    Going for employment at any level

The biggest hurdle lies in the gobbledegook and jargonese on the websites of HMGov, HMRC and the various insurances that I have. Can anyone help here?

TTFN
    Uncle heFTy
  • ladybabe
    ladybabe Posts: 374 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    if you leave prior to your redundancy date technically your employer can say they will not pay you redundancy, however you may still be entitled to it and be able to claim through a industrial tribunal (best person to speak to is your union rep, or if you are not in the union your local CAB) as your company have effectively from the date of notice have terminated your contract so legally you are more than likely due it anyway (also check out the acas website this has more details) and if a company feels you will take this route they may well give you the money anyway rather than going through the legal stuff. hope this helps
    ;)
  • jojo1072
    Options
    hi i have been working for the same company for 7/8 years on a self employed basis it is looking likely that this company is about to close down the department i am employed by and make all employees redundant and i was just wondering if anyone knew if i was entitled to any redundancy pay from the company.
  • harpo31
    Options
    Hi all,

I was given two weeks redundancy notice on the 11th December '09 and worked until my last day of the 24th.

I'd been there just over two years, so know my redundancy payment is two weeks wages.

To this date, I have seen neither my last month's pay, nor my redundancy [they are citing "cash crisis" and will pay "as soon as possible"].

I have however, received my P45, yet they have not [or have not replied thus far] stated whether it includes my last months pay or not.

What [if anything] can I do? I've almost given up asking when I'll be paid. Should I hit ACAS, a solicitor, Citizen's Advice?

I'm currently seeking employment, collecting JSA and can theoretically survive. I just would like to be paid what I'm due.

Any suggestions as to a sensible course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

h
  • pierre94
    Options
    what is the benefits for middle ages people????

have they make any plans for them tooooooooooo????
  • Nattieanne
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am just looking for a bit of advice to see if there is anything I can do?

I was made redundant on friday (22nd Jan), effective of immediately. I had only been working at the company for 3 months but have never been given a written contract. The set up was quite strange in the fact that I have been working for a company that has been financially backed by another company. It was the backing company that I was being paid by, however this company has gone into administration. The company I was working for is still carrying on but doesnt have enough business to take me on and them start paying my wages.

It is all v. confusing. I have been told i will be paid for this workin week as i was working a week in lieu anyway. I just didnt know if there is anything else possible that could be done, especially as the company i was working for has gone into administration.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • ronniemajor
    Options
    Redundancy is paid after you have been employed for 2 years or more by the same employer. You are entitled to one week's statutory pay between 22-41 years old and over 41 years old you get 1.5 weeks statutory pay. I think at the moment this is around £390 but not sure. You also get your notice period pay ie one month. This is tax free.

If you want to leave before the date given for your redundancy you can take any holiday entitlement. Any holiday entitlement not taken and accrued - you get paid for.

If you have worked under 2 years, you get your notice pay plus any holiday entitlement accrued.

Hope this helps people.
  • davmail
    davmail Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    I could be made redundant by my local authority after 21 years in the job,what can I expect in the way of payments,as I have no idea.Many Thanks.:(
    Kawasaki z750 Rider!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport