Cheapest netbooks discussion

Comments

• kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Oh no I cant decide now between the above two. I don't think the Toshiba has Bluetooth, would son really need that? Also read a few reviews that were not impressed with Toshiba keyboard. Help me decide please, Xmas is looming.

There is a Bluetooth symbol on the box of the Toshiba.... not a guarentee it has it though.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Oh no I cant decide now between the above two. I don't think the Toshiba has Bluetooth, would son really need that? Also read a few reviews that were not impressed with Toshiba keyboard. Help me decide please, Xmas is looming.

Bluetooth.
  • hbc1981
    hbc1981 Posts: 58 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2009 at 1:13AM
    Hi all,

I've found this Asus netbook on Amazon at £259.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NPB16C/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1ZFNQYP2F017FYAFM3DQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

It meets requirements as it has Windows 7, good battery, webcam and a decent spec. Can anyone recommend anything better value?

(Don't necessarily need the Bluetooth it has or the 250GB hard disk).

Alternatively - don't mind getting a Windows XP for cheaper if I can cheaply upgrade to Windows 7, but haven't seen any deals and can't seem to find the upgrade for Windows 7 separately?

Thanks,

hbc
  • hbc1981 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've found this Asus netbook on Amazon at £259.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NPB16C/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1ZFNQYP2F017FYAFM3DQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

It meets requirements as it has Windows 7, good battery, webcam and a decent spec. Can anyone recommend anything better value?

(Don't necessarily need the Bluetooth it has or the 250GB hard disk).

Alternatively - don't mind getting a Windows XP for cheaper if I can cheaply upgrade to Windows 7, but haven't seen any deals and can't seem to find the upgrade for Windows 7 separately?

Thanks,

hbc
    I'm sorry I don't have to answer, but I wouldn't mind knowing the answer as I've been trawling through netbooks/laptops online and need to buy one now!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 463 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
  • hbc1981
    hbc1981 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Amanda4242 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I don't have to answer, but I wouldn't mind knowing the answer as I've been trawling through netbooks/laptops online and need to buy one now!

Hi Amanda,

Some info on this for you.

You can upgrade your XP Home netbook with an upgrade version of Windows 7 in two main ways:

1. If you have an external USB DVD drive (you can buy these for around £30 on amazon)

You can buy a normal version of Windows 7 Upgrade and install as normal.

The cheapest version of this is Home Premium and costs £64.38

2. If you don't have a DVD drive

You can buy and download a version from Microsoft. I can't get the price as their UK store doesn't seem to be working, but I expect something similar to the Amazon DVD version (£65).

You then have to play about and transfer the files on a USB key (bigger than 4GB) and various other bits and pieces.

There is a guide here: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/upgrade_03.asp

Obviously, this gets a bit technical.

For both options, it gets more complicated if you have files to backup (but you probably don't if its a new netbook).

In short, the cost saving by getting an XP laptop and upgrading it isn't going to be worth it.... so I'm going to go for the Amazon Asus above unless I can find it cheaper or I find something similar for less.

Only thing to note by going the upgrade route you get Windows Home Premium, buying the Asus you get Windows Starter.

Windows Starter won't let you do things such as change your background wallpaper or extend the display on to an external monitor - things which aren't important for me on this netbook.

Hope that helps.
  • BROSTE wrote: »
    Still not sure what netbooks to buy for 2 daughters in secondary school. Looking at the Samsung NC10 at 269 with 20 cashback to come back - Dixons

or a Toshiba NB200-11L at 245 with 50 cash back so 195! from ebuyer

I would really appreciate any feedback before I decide in next day or so.

Thanks

I personally prefer the Samsung, but for that price it makes total sense to go for the Toshiba!
  • nicky1312 wrote: »
    can anyone advise me on the best mini laptop to get out of these 2 please
    acer aspire d250 or the msi wind both from argos £199.99 thanks for any help

The MSI Wind is slightly lighter and has better built in web cam, otherwise both a similar spec.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    sockul has had several spam posts removed they are spamming there own web site
  • Virez wrote: »
    I personally prefer the Samsung, but for that price it makes total sense to go for the Toshiba!

Toshiba is a quality one.......but as per the price issue it's also a Big Big one..!
    so try for other one.....but if your budget is good with that than go to the Toshiba that will be best as per mine....!
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Toshiba is a quality one.......but as per the price issue it's also a Big Big one..!
    so try for other one.....but if your budget is good with that than go to the Toshiba that will be best as per mine....!

Am I the only one who has no idea of what you are trying to write?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure