Overdraft and Loans taken out whilst having a gambling problem

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    as they didnt do resposible checks to see where the money was going

I'm not convinced they have been irresponsible. However if you think you can string together a complaint to halifax, then you can try again at the ombudsman if they refuse.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/complaints-deal/consumer-credit/unaffordable-lending
  • These kind of posts make my blood boil!
    I bet (sorry!) that if the OP had by a million to one chance a profit on his bets he would not be complaining about their lending criteria.

It's great news that he has not placed a bet for 7 weeks now let's see what positive moves he can make to repay the debt and get on with his life.

I 100% disagree with phillw 's post about going to the ombudsman - there has been no wrongdoing here and this would be a waste of time and resources.
  • Well done for not gambling for the past seven weeks. However, you cannot place blame on the banks for lending you money for you to merely gamble it away. That would be becoming morbidly obese and then suing the food manufacturers because you had no self control on your gluttony.
  • I was advised by the leader of financial independence group that I joined to straighten out my money management. cant remember the reason I gave for the loan or the overdraft but I defiantly didn't say it was for gambling. I was loosing hundreds a day then next day extending it ect ect.

Not looking for them to be written off but do feel that they lend me the money when I couldn't control my gambling and they could see that I was clearly gambling more than I could afford (borrowed money).
    If you are. It looking for it to be written off then what would it matter whether it was lent to you illegally or not?

If you lied about what it was for then it’s possible that it was borrowed illegally, as that’s fraud, but I can’t see a bank thinking it worthwhile involving the police as long as you continue to pay it back in line with your agreement. I’d not be so certain if you complain about them having lent you.

You seem to think that the bank are there to monitor you, as a parent would, but that is not their job, any more than Tesco should monitor your alcohol intake or McDonalds monitor your diet.

Another way to look at this is who is most responsible for your gambling losses, and so who should bear the cost? Could you blame your parents perhaps, for not warning you about it, or the government for giving you the freedom to gamble?
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well done for not gambling for the past seven weeks. However, you cannot place blame on the banks for lending you money for you to merely gamble it away. That would be becoming morbidly obese and then suing the food manufacturers because you had no self control on your gluttony.
    Thats my future plan ruined then
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • In an ever changing world, the lines are now grey between personal responsibility and mismanagement by others (e.g. banks). Years ago, we used to hear stories of people who have no money yet I heard the argument 'But they all have the latest smartphone' yet 99.9% of people have a smartphone now, regardless of income level so that argument no longer seems to stick. Gambling, mental health, depression etc. all have moral/social/personal grey areas. 'I started to develop mental health issues and started spending money to try and fill the emptiness'... 'I lost my job, and then spiralled into depression' etc. What I am saying is that it seems that one triggers the other. I'm not judging as I haven't had a trigger.
    What I have realised though is that it is essential that every single person tries to PLAN for their future self. This forum has plenty of stories of well paid people losing their job and then falling on hard times because they hadn't planned. Their HAS to be a responsibility on people to put something away. I have done this. I tackled my debt and now have started putting some money away. I take 100% responsibility for every penny I spent which wasn't my own but I also gleaned satisfaction on paying every penny off.
    To the OP - have this attitude. Write down the money you owe as your signature and then hit the debt like a gauntlet, pushing it back and back until it's no longer there. Good luck!
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • great advice thank you
  • boo_star wrote: »
    It's not the reclaiming of fees that gets people backs up, it's the lack of personal responsibility.
    Gambling is recognised as an illness which is why there is a National Problem Gambling Clinic. There is medical evidence indicating that certain types of talking therapies can lead to recovery. These mental health therapies are run by local NHS trusts to treat the patient. If someone is not thinking straight due to an emotional and psychological disorder, then I do not think they can be fully responsible. Lenders have at least an equal share of the responsibility imho.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    This is a 1 year old thread that was bumped by a potential post builder.
  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 152 Forumite
    I think that if Halifax could see problem gambling transactions on your bank account, not just £50 at the bookies, they shouldnt have extended your overdraft or given you the first loan. Have you complained? 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure