Help - java problems !

Is there anyone out there that could help me please.

I have windows 98 (dont laugh) and have had no problems with my computer up until now.

I cant go into chat rooms, some graphics dont download when I go to certain web pages (they show a red cross, or 3 wee triangles).

I have tried to rectify the situ myself and it's something to do with my Java, but my settings are to ENABLED so i dont know what else can be wrong ?

Any advice in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance !

Comments

• a red X means it's a 'broken image', which usually indicates a problem with the website, not a problem with your browser. Basically it means the image doesn't actually exist. You will run into this from time-to-time on sites, and I wouldn't worry about it unless it happened often, and on big sites that it shouldn't (e.g. BBC, Google, etc).

3 wee triangles I'm not sure what that could be? Is it a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark ( ! ) in it? This indicates a Javascript error in the page (NB: Javascript and Java are not the same thing), which again is usually a fault in the page, not your browser. Again, you will find this on sites, and probably more often than the broken image problem. Try double-clicking on the triangle and see if it says anything, which might help diagnose the problem better.
  • alison74
    alison74 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Thank you for those useful tips !

My main problem is that I can't go into chat rooms or play simple games online as they dont load and actuall error messages come up saying - your java is not enabled when it is !

I know this is a problem, as I was quite happily chatting and playing games one day and the next it was all broken.

Any further suggestions ??
  • You could try downloading the J2SE v 1.4.2_05 Java runtime environment, which is 14 megs from:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Click 'Download J2SE JRE', Accept, then download:
    'Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language (j2re-1_4_2_05-windows-i586-p.exe, 14.91 MB) '
  • alison74
    alison74 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Mr Strikeeagle = you are the bomb !

Downloaded what you suggested and now everything is working fine again, thank you sooooooo much.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport