Oven Heating Element Gone... Fan or Top?

Options
I have a bush ae6bfw oven.

The bottom heats up fine but there's nothing at the top.

Options include heating the top element only, so I assume it's that that's gone.

But I've seen there is also a fan element.

Is there an easy way I can tell which one it is? I touched the top element after turning on but it wasn't hot at all. But I could feel heat from the bottom one so know it should have been hot.

What makes me confused is the grill works fine.

Any help?

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well usually if the fan works it will spin. When my oven element broken, the fan was still spinning just with no heat coming out

By the way, touching the element to see if it's hot is not a good idea o_O

It's very likely it's the element
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Selected the top element only and the bottom was getting hot. Dont touch any further unless you know what your doing.

There could be a wiring fault. You touched the top element... If that hat shorted out you could have killed yourself.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The fan element will only come on when you select fan cooking.
    Are you sure the top element isn't just for grilling?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You touched the top element... If that hat shorted out you could have killed yourself.
    Hmm, find that hard to believe.
    Ghe top element is just a bit of wire. Inside is the actual element that heats up by running electricity through it. I highly doubt any own with live electric unprotected would be allowed to market.

EssexExile wrote: »
    Are you sure the top element isn't just for grilling?
    Yes, my oven has positions for nearly any combination.
    One option is for the grill. This is different to the top element only option.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there still a question mark over this or are you happy that it is the top oven element that has failed? The fan heater element is like a big loop coil behind the fan in instances I've seen.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 July 2019 at 10:19AM
    Options
    The top element is the grill element. The oven element consists of a fan motor surrounded by a circular element. My money is on either the circular element has failed or one of the crimp connectors has broken away - easy fix.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/14-ag-01/element-fan-oven-2000w-aeg-neff/dp/WG22328
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The top oven element and grill element appear to be different but with the grill elelment located inside the top oven element, bought as a single item

$_35.JPG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Genuine-Bush-Oven-Cooker-Grill-Element-Ae6bfb-2600w/2254272816
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, my oven has positions for nearly any combination.
    One option is for the grill. This is different to the top element only option.
    In that case it should be fairly straightforward to find out which element has gone. Start with fan, switch your oven to fan cooking only then set it to a desired temp, say 200C and see if it reaches that temp. If, after a while your feeling little or no heat then the fan element has gone. Repeat for each type of element.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Selected the top element only and the bottom was getting hot. Dont touch any further unless you know what your doing.

There could be a wiring fault. You touched the top element... If that hat shorted out you could have killed yourself.
    Hmm, find that hard to believe.
    Ghe top element is just a bit of wire. Inside is the actual element that heats up by running electricity through it. I highly doubt any own with live electric unprotected would be allowed to market.

You are talking about a working element and forgetting one very important point.
    The element is not heating up so it's possible that it has cracked and the internal live wire is broken and is now accessible so touching the element could have resulted in getting a shock had this occurred.

It's a bit like saying that if your car is misfiring and you suspect that one of the HT leads is breaking down then you couldn't possibly get a shock from touching the lead as selling such a item wouldn't be allowed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure