looking for a new insurer due to greatly increased premiums on two cars

Hello everyone. I was wondering if you lovely people could try and assist me in getting some better cover for the two cars in my household? As my premium has jumped from £700 P/Y to £910!

Here's a bit of backstory - I'm 41 (male) and primarily use our 09 Reg VW Golf 2.0 TDI auto (140 Bhp) average between us on this car is 15k P/Y

My Wife is 40 and has an 07 reg VW Polo 1.4 (petrol) auto (about 8k P/Y)

The problems that we have insuring these cars is that I no longer have any NCB as I have been on my Wife's insurance for the last 15 years, from when we first moved out, and both cars are hence in her name. No claims or convictions for both of us in the last five years. Both cars would need to be fully comp.

Another sticking point is that I need to have business use on the Golf (having it on the Polo as backup would be a huge plus as well) as I'm kitchen manager for Meals On Wheels, so every day I deliver meals to the elderly on a set route, for three hours, with no more than 30 miles all told. I would say half of the mileage on the Golf is for delivering (about 8k)

Does anyone have any suggestion on a decent insurer? Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm not sure about how to improve the situation with the insurance but it sounds to me like you'd be classed as the main driver on at least one of the cars if you're driving for 3hrs/day so you may well have been inappropriately insurer anyway.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I would also be very careful about business use and delivery of food.

Some insight companies use your driving experience on another policy as a way to bring down the cost of the policy eg Hastings.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Some people at work have suggested Churchill, as they are using them. I only need class one business use, as well. Many thanks ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure