PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving, it has started

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the tips re dehydrating courgettes, I'll certainly give that a try if I get a glut (I'm hoping I do now so I can try).
    I've frozen them in various dishes before but would like the chance to just keep them plain so I can decide as I go how I want to use them.
    My two big successes last year were dehydrating sweet peppers and mushrooms. I've used them up now but must make some more as they were great to add a bit of oomph to soups etc. over the winter.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 June 2018 at 11:23AM
    Options
    cordials are good but a tricky one because of the sugar content esp for children, dd has seen many children who have needed extractions because of cordials. Anyone remember rose hip syrup in a dinky feeder? Mums were encouraged to leave a child with a dinky feeder in its mouth as a soother. Shocking, profit came before well-being, they must have known about the decay process

Wine from fruit was always good and very successful and is a brilliant hobby, for a wine drinker. I gave all my equipment away three years ago, I don`t drink now, apart from a GnT about once a month. Its a super way to preserve fruit as is a rumtopf, I used to make rumtopf for christmas, it was powerful strong
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-and-when-to-make-rumtopf-fruit-1446792

My parents made rum from marrow and sugar, they hung it across the landing and I remember them splitting their sides laughing when it burst
    http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/farmers-marrow-rum-recipe-492/
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in & say thank you for the tip, giving the jar a slap!

I enjoyed the chutney (spiced apple) last night :)
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am going out to buy 2 bags of sugar today, the other gooseberries are turning and I like to get them off just under ripe. The bottling in 2015 was such a success that I am going to follow the exact same method this year, I do strain the juice off when I eat them anyway. 2lb sugar to 4 pints of water and I need to get this ready and let go cold, this will be prepared in advance. I checked my maslin with the trivet at the bottom and can get 5 kilners in there. I think I will have to do 3-4 sets of bottling. I have given up the idea of any other method except the slow water bath way

I am quite excited about getting this done, it will be a whole crop safely tucked away
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    DH was muttering about gooseberry wine at the weekend...I rediscovered a hidden-under-raspberries gooseberry bush (no babies under ;)) that is covered with fruit so his wish may come true this year :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    encourage him floss, it really is a nice hobby and lots of men do it and form communities online
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Kittie he doesn't need any encouraging - so far he has made:
    Apple wine
    Strawberry wine
    Rhubarb wine
    Elderberry wine
    Blackberry wine
    Blackcurrant wine
    ...and varying blends thereof :D

He's just after the goosegogs that I wanted for jam or chutney!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 June 2018 at 11:48AM
    Options
    lol, good on him floss. Some of the most dedicated wine and bread makers are men

Today I am preparing for a bottling day tomorrow, I have made the syrup and it is cooling, will divide that into smaller containers and jugs and keep it in the fridge overnight, I unearthed the kilner jars, all were washed but I will do the full wash/heat/cool cycle tomorrow. Gooseberry picking later today, I will have to take 2 buckets up and a small container as I won`t be rough with them. The hinamakis are very spikey so I am going to have to wear gloves. Later I will sit and top and tail, wash and dry on clean tea towels overnight.

Layering gooseberries in the jars, one level at a time and syrup in between the layers and a little poke with the handle end of a long jam spoon to get rid of air. The 500 ml kilners will take about 9-10 oz gooseberries

Before I come back, I will lightly summer prune. The laterals ie new growth, down to 4-5 leaves
  • penny-wise
    penny-wise Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Did you do this in a dehydrator PW? I have wondered whether to try it in my Excalibur in little nests of spiralised courgettes. When you come to use it do you just dip it in boiling water or do you have some other way of using it please? I have a new allotment and have 12 courgette plants on there as ground cover more than anything!

Yes, I do it in a dehydrator in little nests. Before I eat it I ususally just add it to my portion of the sauce/soup to reconstitute it. I prefer them with a bit of bite still.

12 courgette plants is a lot! I have 5 this year and thats probably too many. But then for some reason this year I've grown 3 giant pumpkin plants along with 5 other squashes so I'll be overrun with curcubits too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am ready for off, I picked another 8.5 lbs of gooseberries and have topped and tailed, using fingers. Washed in veggie wash, aware always of bird poop hence the veggie wash, rinsed and they are spread out drying on tea towels. I would say that in the south anyway, this is a good time to be picking, several were already ripe ie too soft for me. If I didn`t have bushes I would be doing pyo, love gooseberries

Pruning was much more drastic than I expected, wanting to keep the standard shape and got rid of several long side branches. They are tough plants and will survive
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure