Buy a inexpensive second hand bass guitar

Options
I have been looking for bass guitar for some time now. I want a very cheap one (£40 max) as I think it could be a fad that I will quickly give up. I have heard of someone who bought one on gumtree for £20. He could have been just very lucky as he is quite happy with it.

I have tried Gumtree and the only ones I find are over my budget. I have seen them in the past at car boot sales, but not at a time I was interested in buying one.

Is there a good time to buy one? What time of the year do would-be Roger Waters give up and sell their bass guitars?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Keep a look out in second hand shops and cash converters as some bargains do pop up.

Over the next few months some should start to be sold as the Xmas gift fad wears off, but you may need to increase your budget.

Do you know what to check for when buying to make sure you don't end up with a lemon?

I have owned mine (a Warwick) for nearly 2 years, it sits waiting for me and I'm waiting patiently to carry on playing it, and my uke.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Keep a look out in second hand shops and cash converters as some bargains do pop up.

Over the next few months some should start to be sold as the Xmas gift fad wears off, but you may need to increase your budget.

Do you know what to check for when buying to make sure you don't end up with a lemon?

I have owned mine (a Warwick) for nearly 2 years, it sits waiting for me and I'm waiting patiently to carry on playing it, and my uke.

Thanks for the reply. I believe there are a lot of "starter kits" which come with an amp and case and tutor book etc. which have rubbish guitars with chipboard bodies. I do not need an amp so I will keep away from those. But apart from that, anything that has all its strings and is cheap.

I have done a bit of research on basses and there is a wide choice at some big prices. I had toyed with getting second hand Fender Precision, which will hold its price, but really it is way over my budget.

I will try your suggestions and just keep on looking.

The Warwick looks impressive but something like that will be in the future IF my craving for a bass turns out to be more than a fad.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Make sure you have a good look at the neck to make sure it's straight, also check the frets are not damaged / worn down etc etc

Look up a few you tube videos on what to check for as it is costly to sort out unless you know a guy who does repairs.

If you can up your budget to £100 you will get one.

My dream is a Rickenbacker, but not a priority. The Warwick I got for a decent price, after haggling and it was second hand ;) if I ever sell it I would turn a profit.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Music’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Also check local press adverts, shop windows and Shpock you may get lucky.
  • st182
    st182 Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You have mentioned the economy of scale thing earlier in the thread- IE if you buy a second hand fender precision, the chances are you’ll get every penny back on sale- but if the budget won’t go that far, just bear in mind that a cheap instrument is likely to be harder to play and therefore you’re less likely to want to carry on anyway......
    Everyone is different- but I personally like squier instruments as they are superb to play and are very very popular on the second hand market, as even experienced players often use them as modification platforms etc.
    If you were to budget for a second hand squier affinity for example, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen those change hands for not much over £100- more desirable models less than £200- but I’d be confident that either would be a great instrument to learn on compared to something you could source for £40.
    Just my 2p- good luck- and above all, enjoy your journey! It’s a fun hobby ��
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put a (free) 'wanted' post on your local Freecycle group, just in case you strike lucky.
  • kima27
    Options
    You'd be surprised what you can find in charity shops. Quality musical instruments are sometimes available and a quick way to browse through their stock is by calling them up.
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    As st182 says - Squier Precision. Had one, it was great! (Sold it because I wanted a 5-string).
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    Mistral001 What time of the year do would-be Roger Waters give up and sell their bass guitars?
    Pink Floyd bass lines are very minimalist and easy so I doubt anyone would give up and sell up if all they wanted to do was play some Pink Floyd bass lines.  Also, whilst I know this is an old thread I will say there is a high chance that a £40 second hand bass would need a trip to a guitar tech to make it playable.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback