Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 November 2017 at 3:24PM
    lisyloo wrote: »

If there was justification I would ask for it to be removed however it is important to give people the chance to put something right. The vast majority of the time restaurants will do what they can to help even in the case that what you order isn't what you expected i.e. it's not their fault..

What about if there is nothing wrong with the service, but you simply feel that it is not necessary to give the restaurant extra money for something that is already built into the price of the food and drinks.

No, completely different kettle of fish.
    Checkout service is included.

True, but it is just semantics. Before the widespread use of the "service charge" surely it was included anyway, or were restaurants losing money hand over fist because they had neglected to build it into their prices? I wonder if a restaurant that currently does not add a service charge on would reduce their drinks and food prices if they decided to start adding a service charge as of tomorrow because, presumably, they were charging for that service somewhere, or could that have been really bad business by omitting a very obvious overhead. Do you think they would? I don't. I personally see 'service charge' as a justifiable (in their eyes) way of adding to the bottom line. I would love to know how much of the 'service charge' goes to those serving as opposed to those owning.
  • adonis10
    edited 3 November 2017 at 3:27PM
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I've always been supportive of tipping in restaurants, as a way of incentivising good service. But I do think the increase in minimum wage and tax thresholds means we should be tipping less, as the basic take home pay for waiting staff has increased dramatically..

Absolutely agree with this, but because it is more common and widely accepted that one must tip "x%" it seems to be taken for granted more than it used to. I was once recipient to a moody response from a waitress in Pizza Express for not tipping. Erm, sorry I have looked at the menu, you have written it down and simply delivered it to my table. You've not gone above and beyond to give me valuable insights about the food, what wine it is well paired with, been attentive without being overbearing etc. but I should tip you "just because it is what people do"?

Now, I have eaten in many and varied restaurants but I used PE as an example of the entitlement culture that I feel pervades this industry; it is a generic, whilst very tasty and affordable, restaurant chain so the waiting staff are doing little more than what is done in a fast food chain. I totally back tipping in a higher end restaurant where the sommelier has spent 10 minutes knowledgeably talking about various wines and how they complement the meal I am ordering etc. as I value this as going above and beyond. Ok, it may be in his/her job description to do that in that particular restaurant but I am not to know that, rather I see an employee willing to take time and effort to enhance my experience whilst in that restaurant as opposed to merely writing down words and delivering plates to the table whilst still expecting a tip.

The basic standard one should expect from anyone working in customer services/hospitality is a) getting what you asked for and b) a smile and manners. That should be the minimum rather than the qualifying criteria for a tip.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you have strong feelings about this then you should check a restaurants policy before you book, but often service is not included.

The statement "service not included" is pretty ridiculous if you think about it. If service is not included then do I have the option of placing the order into the system myself and collecting the food myself, I doubt it.

So it's a mandatory service which they don't include in the price and you are expected to pay extra for. But then you also need to consider that staff get to keep the tips so they get paid for the service directly. But wait the staff are paid by the restaurant an hourly wage which is included in the price of the food (otherwise the restaurant would run at a loss).

So that means the restaurant are not paying the staff to provide service. How stupid is that!.
  • adonis10
    takman wrote: »
    The statement "service not included" is pretty ridiculous if you think about it. If service is not included then do I have the option of placing the order into the system myself and collecting the food myself, I doubt it.

So it's a mandatory service which they don't include in the price and you are expected to pay extra for. But then you also need to consider that staff get to keep the tips so they get paid for the service directly. But wait the staff are paid by the restaurant an hourly wage which is included in the price of the food (otherwise the restaurant would run at a loss).

So that means the restaurant are not paying the staff to provide service. How stupid is that!.

Bang on. Pretty much sums up that "service charge included" is tantamount to "before you leave you need to give us some more of your money to increase our profits thus making the restaurant owner more wealthy. You have the right to ask for this to be removed should you decide to live with the embarrassment of it in front of your friends/family/colleagues and other diners."
  • ianbar0
    ianbar0 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my wife tends to insist on tipping as she used o waitress back in the day. thing is we only try to do cash tips not on card and we have found we carr virtually no money with us now so recently have not tipped as much. to be fair tips should not be left by habit and only if deserved really.
    £18 for my old mobile.
    new proper meal planning to cut spending.
    £26 in coppers taken to bank.
    £30 under grocery budget last 2 weeks.
    £22.98 cashback quidco
    £34.02 music magpie
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm finding that frequently I can't leave a tip at a restaurant even if I wanted to as there's no option to do so when paying by card and rarely do I carry cash these days.
  • I've no idea what's been said so far in this thread. I just saw it on the main board page & felt like commenting.

I don't, but my wife does.

Question is to what degree do you do it? My wife and also my mother just round it up. If the bill comes to say £43.12 they'll tip to round it to £45.00. Since they also pay by card i find this extra strange on top of just tipping in general.

But then when it's such a small amount, you wonder does the waiter/waitress think "well is that all?!" but at the same time you don't want to hand over your bank card to them & say help yourself.

I've heard of 10% being the figure too.

At the end of the day my stance is you get paid an hourly rate which will meet the minimum wage so you got paid to do your job. It's your job to be pleasant to customers. I don't ask for anyone to kiss my behind, i don't even really ask for you to smile (although it's always nicer). All i ask is you don't leave me waiting forever at my table, but i'm also not unreasonable, i don't even mind if you don't ask if my food is ok because if it isn't i'll tell you. If i'm eating it then i'm fine with it.

And that's about it.

I have to be pleasant to customers in my job but i'm not a waiter. I don't get tips nor do i expect them. I get paid an hourly rate. It is my job to serve people and be generally helpful so why should i get paid extra for it? I shouldn't & neither should anyone else. It's nice when it happens (usually from old dears for me) but i take it as an out of the blue bonus. I always tell them it's ok they don't have to do that but then when they insist i just say ok just don't tell anyone, it'll be our secret.

And that's basically my stance. It shouldn't be expected.
  • M30
    M30 Posts: 21 Forumite
    I tip if the service was great! I also like to tip because I see that waiters/waitresses are on minimum wage and they are constantly busy and some do very long hours for next to nothing money! When it comes to service charges I tell them to take it off but only so I can give it to them in Cash! That extra £1 or whatever tip you want to give does actually help. It’s nice to be nice!
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I always give it cash to the serving staff.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ianbar0 wrote: »
    my wife tends to insist on tipping as she used o waitress back in the day. thing is we only try to do cash tips not on card and we have found we carr virtually no money with us now so recently have not tipped as much. to be fair tips should not be left by habit and only if deserved really.

It’s because I used to be a waitress back in the day that I’m against tipping & would rather see a fair set wage.

My mother also used to be a waitress, when she developed breast cancer & had to have a full mastectomy she faced 6 months on a wage she couldn’t live on without tips - as a single parent.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback