Samsung UHD TV 49"

My partner won a Samsung UHD TV 49" which was delivered six weeks ago.No indication at all of which retailer supplied it.

We currently have an old HD ready Sony TV which we watch through an old basic Skybox with a basic subscription. Our TV aerial is at least 20 years old.

Naively we thought we could just take The new TV out of the box and swap over all the scart leads etc and that would be us ready to watch. This was not the case so TV went back in the box and there it has stayed.

The Samsung UHD TV 49" has no scart connection points at all.

We contacted Sky who suggested we take out an 18 month Sky Q contract with them which they could install almost immediately. They said it would be £10 installation charge and £20 for the box then £12 per month plus £20 channel fee. We currently pay £23.50 per month.

We have Sky because my partner loves to watch Rugby Union which is available from BT to watch through the Skybox. He would not give up his rugby fix.

Another option I think is Freeview but we would, I think need a new aerial and not sure if the BT rugby is available via this route.

Broadband is very slow and poor here where we live and BT have told us one of their boxes is not an option.

Virgin have no cables here.

Really we would be happy to keep our old Skybox but that does not seem possible.

Does anyone one have any thoughts on what we should do?
Be Lucky Everyone

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You could pick up a Sky HD box with a HDMI output second hand for £10 or less.

I cant remember whether you can just swap the viewing card over or whether Sky need to send you a new one. You will need to contact Sky to pair it anyway.

I
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2018 at 5:54PM
    My partner won a Samsung UHD TV 49" which was delivered six weeks ago.No indication at all of which retailer supplied it.

We currently have an old HD ready Sony TV which we watch through an old basic Skybox with a basic subscription. Our TV aerial is at least 20 years old.

Naively we thought we could just take The new TV out of the box and swap over all the scart leads etc and that would be us ready to watch. This was not the case so TV went back in the box and there it has stayed.

The Samsung UHD TV 49" has no scart connection points at all.

We contacted Sky who suggested we take out an 18 month Sky Q contract with them which they could install almost immediately. They said it would be £10 installation charge and £20 for the box then £12 per month plus £20 channel fee. We currently pay £23.50 per month.

We have Sky because my partner loves to watch Rugby Union which is available from BT to watch through the Skybox. He would not give up his rugby fix.

Another option I think is Freeview but we would, I think need a new aerial and not sure if the BT rugby is available via this route.

Broadband is very slow and poor here where we live and BT have told us one of their boxes is not an option.

Virgin have no cables here.

Really we would be happy to keep our old Skybox but that does not seem possible.

Does anyone one have any thoughts on what we should do?

Is there not a AV adapter in the TV box? Usually three or five phono sockets, red, white, yellow etc to two jack plugs.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE55D6100-Audio-Component-Adapter/dp/B0072WJE3I/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541608764&sr=1-7&keywords=samsung+rca+adapter

As you have given very little info, a Scart to three phono lead may work but will be the second lowest signal quality at composite video.

An example not a recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-SCART-Triple-Switchable/dp/B001QWZ8AI/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541608648&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=scart+to+rca&psc=1
  • Scart? how old is the Skybox? do you not have an HD connection on the SkyBox?

If not think you can get scart to HDMI converters for about £20,
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    chrisw wrote: »
    You could pick up a Sky HD box with a HDMI output second hand for £10 or less.

I cant remember whether you can just swap the viewing card over or whether Sky need to send you a new one. You will need to contact Sky to pair it anyway.

I

agreed. We run Sky HD into a 55" Samsung UHD TV.
    Scart is ancient tech now.
  • bishopsgirl
    bishopsgirl Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Scart? how old is the Skybox? do you not have an HD connection on the SkyBox?

If not think you can get scart to HDMI converters for about £20,

It is very Very old a bit like me.
    Be Lucky Everyone
  • bishopsgirl
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Is there not a AV adapter in the TV box? Usually three or five phono sockets, red, white, yellow etc to two jack plugs.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE55D6100-Audio-Component-Adapter/dp/B0072WJE3I/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541608764&sr=1-7&keywords=samsung+rca+adapter

As you have give very little info, a Scart to three phono lead may work but will be the second lowest signal quality at composite video.

An example not a recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-SCART-Triple-Switchable/dp/B001QWZ8AI/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541608648&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=scart+to+rca&psc=1

Thank you for your help.

Just had a look there are three or five phono sockets, red, white, yellow etc to two jack plugs in the box but I am totally clueless what to do with them or what they do.

There is another black rectangular piece that says COMMON INTERFACE 5V ONLY.

Once again thank you for your help but I think I may be far far too much of a technophobe to understand what people on here are advising me.
    Be Lucky Everyone
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Thank you for your help.

Just had a look there are three or five phono sockets, red, white, yellow etc to two jack plugs in the box but I am totally clueless what to do with them or what they do.

There must be a matching socket on the TV probably on the back. What does the manual say?

There is another black rectangular piece that says COMMON INTERFACE 5V ONLY.

Ignore that is not relevant to this issue.

Once again thank you for your help but I think I may be far far too much of a technophobe to understand what people on here are advising me.

As you have still not give any info, assuming the Sky box has a Scart socket the second lead I linked too connects between the Sky box and TV.
  • bishopsgirl
    [As you have still not give any info, assuming the Sky box has a Scart socket the second lead I linked too connects between the Sky box and TV.[/QUOTE]

This does look like something that will work. Thank you.
    Be Lucky Everyone
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I expect the OPS Tv has connections like these.
    So the TV uses breakout connections for composite/component connections

uhdtv_Samsung-UE55JS8500_connections.jpg

However I would still cut all this and simply 'upgrade' to a 2nd hand Sky HD box.
    OP are you under contract with Sky?
  • bishopsgirl
    Thank you custardy.

I may well follow your advice.

The TV is back in its box so can not confirm the connections.

No we do not have a sky contract although we have been with them for about 25 years we never renewed contract and once BT took over the rugby we cancelled Sky Sports.
    Be Lucky Everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport