PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is your tenant growing cannabis?

Options

Comments

• Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Blacked out windows seem to be the norm.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    "How on earth do they know how much juice has been used if the meter has been bypassed?" I asked. Apparently they can estimate it fairly accurately by the size and number of the plants.

---

Yeah right!!

Like they experiemented themselves. lol

They have no idea how much electricity was used. NONE.

I would go to court any day of the week on that one!
    Not Again
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Geenie wrote: »
    Blacked out windows seem to be the norm.

not if its grown in the loft!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    sillyvixen wrote: »
    not if its grown in the loft!!

Heck, is no where sacred!! Well thankfully most of the lofts in our properties are covered in sh*te, due to bats being resident and sh*ting for England on top of the loft insulation. Then again, the manure will probably speed things up!!!:eek:

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • listerofsmeg_2
    Options
    our neighbours (renting) had a cannabis farm going on. They got found out when it flooded, which flooded the house next door (the one I was in - flats) and my neighbour who lived downstairs rang the police to sort the flood out!
  • brummybloke
    brummybloke Posts: 1,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Geenie wrote: »

Any idea of the nationality of the tenants, as going on recent stories down here, there seems to be a running theme of Vietnamese being involved?

depends where i the UK, vietnamese are the most organised, renting out large houses and converting them into factories.
    normally they pay the 6 months up front in cash, and nowdays they pay someone to rent the house out instead of a vietnamese person which nowdays draws suspicion.

6 large rooms will normally generate £30,000 every 3 months, splitting the rooms into nurserys and growing rooms.

however due to the high profits, the houses get turned into booby traps, mains conected to windows, razors pushed into light switches so if a light is turned on it slices the hand open.

the rule of thumb would be to check on the house every 3 weeks

and make sure there is not all of a sudden 300 large plant opts, 600 small plant pots, 3 tonnes of high grade furtiliser, plant food, 150 UV lights, windows lined with foil, 50 large extractor fans and 100 large black buckets.
    what is the plural of moose?

slags
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    russ21282 wrote: »
    Apparently they don't do that. It would cost far too much to fly around cities using thermal imaging cameras to catch a few weed growers. They are usually caught by, bypassing the meter or stealing a neighbours electric or somebody reporting suspicious activity!

If the helicopter is already in the sky, and has finnished a task (criminal apprehended or lost) then it would not cost a penny extra to switch the camera to thermal, and record the houses on the way back to base....

Whether or not that is legal, is a different matter...
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    "How on earth do they know how much juice has been used if the meter has been bypassed?" I asked. Apparently they can estimate it fairly accurately by the size and number of the plants.

---

Yeah right!!

Like they experiemented themselves. lol

They have no idea how much electricity was used. NONE.

I would go to court any day of the week on that one!

Surely they just take the wattage of the heating/lighting etc equipment, and calculate a simple sum based on how long it would have been switched on?
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • alcsl
    alcsl Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    if you're worried and they deny it, surely you can contact the energy company and they can tell you if an ususually large amount of electricity hase been used? That may give the game away?
  • Credit_Jake
    Options
    russ21282 wrote: »
    Apparently they don't do that. It would cost far too much to fly around cities using thermal imaging cameras to catch a few weed growers. They are usually caught by, bypassing the meter or stealing a neighbours electric or somebody reporting suspicious activity!

It is definately the way they do it around North wales, I work in forensics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure