Marriage

I am confused regarding the difference between a civil partnership (heterosexual) and civil marriage and would i have the same legal rights with either?
Is a civil partnership (heterosexual) legal now?

Comments

• Kneesaa wrote: »
    I am confused regarding the difference between a civil partnership (heterosexual) and civil marriage and would i have the same legal rights with either?

The government has untertaken to introduce equality so different sex couples will enjoy the same right to a civil partnership as same sex couples, but this hasn't happened yet. I think parliament is a bit busy with something else at the moment.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Kneesaa wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships
    Check if you can get married or form a civil partnership

You can get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales if you’re:
    • 16 or over
    • not already married or in a civil partnership
    • not closely related
    Same-sex couples can get married, form a civil partnership or convert a civil partnership into a marriage in England or Wales.
    Opposite-sex couples cannot form a civil partnership in England and Wales.
    There are different rules if you want to get married or form a civil partnership:
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    The government has untertaken to introduce equality so different sex couples will enjoy the same right to a civil partnership as same sex couples, but this hasn't happened yet. I think parliament is a bit busy with something else at the moment.

Sorry- you’re wrong. The law has changed. The bill received Royal Assent last month and the first opposite sex CP’s will be able to take place from December 31 this year following a consultation period. This date is set in the statute.
    Some registry offices are already taking bookings, others such as my local registry office have a list of couples to inform when it’s possible to give notice.
    Me and OH are having a CP in February 2020. We are having one because OH doesn’t want to get married due to being mentally scarred from his parents traumatic divorce when he was young but we need to have something legal in place. Guess it boils down to the actual reason you want it. Just to reiterate- YES it is legal but it’s not possible to have one until after December 31.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,951
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Sorry- you’re wrong. The law has changed. The bill received Royal Assent last month and the first opposite sex CP’s will be able to take place from December 31 this year following a consultation period. This date is set in the statute.
    My apologies. I missed that happening in the news.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Me and OH are having a CP in February 2020. We are having one because OH doesn’t want to get married due to being mentally scarred from his parents traumatic divorce when he was young but we need to have something legal in place.

Just out of interest, what will happen when a couple who have chosen a CP break up - won't that still be a divorce?
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what will happen when a couple who have chosen a CP break up - won't that still be a divorce?

Apologies- only just seen that. It’s a dissolution of sorts but I’m not sure how it will actually work- I think that’s one of the things being ironed out in the consultation.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,739
    Forumite

Yep, in all but name. The process will likely be virtually identical. The only thing I can see changing is, potentially, the time periods and reasons but even then that's being relaxed for marriages.

Personally I find the idea of civil partnerships completely pointless, it's just marriage with a different label. Never seen a good argument as to why both should exist but each to their own.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Forumite
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Yep, in all but name.

it's just marriage with a different label.

But to the people who have fought for the change, names and labels are important - they want to be in a legal partnership without becoming 'husband' and 'wife'.

The historical baggage that comes with those labels doesn't bother me but other people feel very strongly about the names.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    But to the people who have fought for the change, names and labels are important - they want to be in a legal partnership without becoming 'husband' and 'wife'.

The historical baggage that comes with those labels doesn't bother me but other people feel very strongly about the names.

Funny how the reasons put forward for introducing same sex marriage were that civil partnerships are inferior to marriage, which society sees as the 'gold standard'.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Forumite
    edited 1 May 2019 at 12:10AM
    I think the whole argument around CP’s is that some people object to the woman being like a chattel and belonging to her husband in marriage and want an equal partnership. Me I would rather get married but this I suppose is the best compromise as OH is adamant he won’t get married.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure