real life MMD: Should I keep dating for freebies?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 23 November 2010 at 5:08PM in MoneySaving polls
Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...
Should I keep dating for freebies?

I've been going on a few dates with this guy who's really sweet but I don't think it's going anywhere. He's however very keen and I don't want to be mean and end it for no reason. Plus he always takes me to posh restaurants that I normally wouldn't even dream of going to, and I'm enjoying that. Should I come clean or enjoy the freebies?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The OP should be honest with the bloke and tell him that she doesn't think its going anywhere...

If after that he still wants to take her out then go for it (maybe reminding him now and then that its not going to lead to anything)...
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 November 2010 at 1:08PM
    Double post.
  • omg no! u tell him immediately how u really feel.
    the poor bloke probably thinks he has finally found a nice girl to settle down with when really hes just with a user
    as a lad who has been repeatedly let down by women of this nature i can say it hurts tremendously to have this done to you.
    anyone who does this should be prosecuted for obtaining by deception, you are no better than the banks and ppi companies, praying upon the weak.
  • emidee
    emidee Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 November 2010 at 11:53PM
    Be honest with him - you'd hate it if it were the other way around, & the longer it goes on, the worse it's going to be for him when you do break up.
  • Hmm...I think women should pay their own way on dates too, especially if you've only just met. To me it sends out the wrong signal if the man pays all the time.... But hey...I'm single so I could be wrong :rotfl:
  • No - you definitely shouldn't keep dating for freebies, it's very unfair on the man in question.
  • Should I keep dating for freebies?
    I've been going on a few dates with this guy who's really sweet but I don't think it's going anywhere.

He's however very keen and I don't want to be mean and end it for no reason. Plus he always takes me to posh restaurants that I normally wouldn't even dream of going to, and I'm enjoying that. Should I come clean or enjoy the freebies?

You wouldn't be ending for no reason though - it sounds like you're just not that into him!!
    At least be honest - you don't have to get married to them or anything, and feelings might develop, but if he's looking for something more serious, someone is going to get hurt!
    You must know in your heart what the right choice is here - how good would you feel to get freebies by manipulating someone?? (if you think he'd spend the money on you as friends, why not tell him - what do you have to lose?)

.....and you'd surely hate it if the situation was reversed!!
    IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • If you're not interested in the guy then let him know.

Seriously, are you really considering still going out with him because he takes you to nice restaurants? If you do you should be ashamed of yourself.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Ever heard of the expression gold-digger?
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd never use someone in that way.

If you don't like him, then why would you want him to spend his money on you?

There is a name for women who date blokes for what they can gain...
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport