Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • splurgegun
    • By splurgegun 19th Oct 19, 4:48 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 64Thanks
    splurgegun
    Tesco periodic money off when you spend x coupons, feel robbed
    • 19th Oct 19, 4:48 PM
    Tesco periodic money off when you spend x coupons, feel robbed 19th Oct 19 at 4:48 PM
    I normally bin my Tesco money off coupons because quite frankly rather than getting 13 off when I spend 90 in Tesco I think that 77 would go a lot further in Aldi than 90 would in Tesco
    However when it coincides with 25% off six bottles of wine then I normally make the trek to the nearest Tesco.
    Anyway, this time I've got my trolley loaded up with 60 of wine (45 after 25% discount) and about 50 of groceries and head to the till. But the coupon won't work. The computer says no. There's a new exclusion, no alcohol!
    I feel robbed. Never would have bothered if I'd known. Was tempted to just walk away but felt sorry for the nice lady at the checkout, and the people queuing behind me. And everything was bagged up in my own bags!

So be warned, bargain hunters!
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 19th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 2,369 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 19th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    Just go to asda, 25% of 6 bottles currently (any wine, no restrictions this time (well fortified I guess but nothing like last time)).
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 19th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    • 19th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    I know sainsurys have been doing this for a while (well with spirits, beer & wine normally ok)

Obviously depends on what you buy but for me 90 would go further in Tesco than 77 in Aldi (especially as Aldi wouldnt stock 25% of the stuff anyway)
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 19th Oct 19, 8:58 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,993 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 19th Oct 19, 8:58 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 8:58 PM
    Always read the T&C's with vouchers to avoid things like this happened.
    • splurgegun
    • By splurgegun 20th Oct 19, 11:40 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    splurgegun
    • 20th Oct 19, 11:40 AM
    • 20th Oct 19, 11:40 AM
    Yes, but when these things drop through the letterbox every few months you don't tend to read the t&c's every time

The point I was trying to make was that I've used these vouchers in the past and bought wine, getting the 25% off the wine and the money off from the coupons making it worth the trip

I didn't see any notice in the main blurb saying that alcohol was now excluded, just the small print on the back.

If my trolley had had a lower proportion of wine, then I could have dashed off and grabbed a couple of high value items like coffee or washing powder to take the total for non alcoholic items over the 90 minimum spend

But who wants to be performing mental gymnastics on the weekly shopping trip? It's just too much hassle.
    • HonestJohn
    • By HonestJohn 20th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    HonestJohn
    • 20th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 8:13 PM
    Thanks for letting us know. I rarely use these coupons now but have done before with the wine promotions.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    • od244051
    • By od244051 28th Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    od244051
    • 28th Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    • 28th Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    Have bought spirits and alcohol on Tesco scan n go machines with a money off coupon and it worked - even though it said excludes alcohol on the coupon. Last time I used one was in the summer.

One thing I don't understand is why I used to get money off vouchers from Tesco for spending 40 and suddenly jumped to 70 or 80 when I don't spend anything outside the times I get coupons? I always spend no more than 1.50 over the threshold - ie 41.50 when got 8 off 40.

With Sainsburys vouchers, you can use the money off coupons with the wine on offer providing you are spending what you are saving on the wine offer on top of the coupon threshold. Say you got 6 off 40 coupon. The cheapest wine you can buy is 5 a bottle, Buying 6 5 bottles saves 7.50 so need to spend 47.50
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Oct 19, 6:39 PM
    • 20,881 Posts
    • 123,826 Thanks
    maman
    • 28th Oct 19, 6:39 PM
    • 28th Oct 19, 6:39 PM
    I know sainsurys have been doing this for a while (well with spirits, beer & wine normally ok)

Obviously depends on what you buy but for me 90 would go further in Tesco than 77 in Aldi (especially as Aldi wouldnt stock 25% of the stuff anyway)
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    I was all set to not use all my Sainsburys vouchers this time until I noticed the 25%off wine so decided to stock up.

I'm determined not to buy products at higher prices than I can get elsewhere just to use the vouchers.

Out of curiosity zero sum which sort of products do you buy in Sainsburys that fall into the 25% that you can't get in Aldi? I find that most weeks I can buy what I need in Aldi.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 1st Nov 19, 11:42 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    • 1st Nov 19, 11:42 PM
    • 1st Nov 19, 11:42 PM
    I was all set to not use all my Sainsburys vouchers this time until I noticed the 25%off wine so decided to stock up.

I'm determined not to buy products at higher prices than I can get elsewhere just to use the vouchers.

Out of curiosity zero sum which sort of products do you buy in Sainsburys that fall into the 25% that you can't get in Aldi? I find that most weeks I can buy what I need in Aldi.
    Originally posted by maman
    25% maybe a bit of an exaggeration but there is quite a few things.
    OH likes thise activia yoghurts but only the vanilla ones. Aldi do their own version but its a 4 pack with mixed fruit
    Frozen carrots I cant get there either
    Their selection of herbs & spices is very limited.
    Sainsburys are the only supermarket that sell my favourite beer.
    Fizzy pop selection is very limited (although Sainsburys isnt great either, Asda & Morrison are best)

Then theres the things that arent as good quality like their 'thick' bleach which is literaly money down the toilet. The bread goes mouldy before the used by date, this has happened on last 2 purchases so never buying bread from their again.
    Last edited by Zero Sum; 02-11-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,829Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter