TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    "It's true that if you have a home TV Licence, it covers you to watch TV/iPlayer anywhere on a device powered by its own batteries."

this more than anything tells me how out of date the licence is. 1950's mentality to police 21st century viewing habits....

When you can be prosecuted for plugging in your tablet charger its gone too far....

I'm not sure where the provision comes from. It does definitely have the ring of the 1950s about it, but there has never been a time (until today's tablets and smart phones) when portable battery-powered "TV"s have been popular.

Maybe it's a leftover from the Radio Licence?
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Surely it's better than saying the property has to be licenced for to watch anything regardless of how the appliance is powered, and that you can't watch anything while on the move?
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    Surely it's better than saying the property has to be licenced for to watch anything regardless of how the appliance is powered, and that you can't watch anything while on the move?

Yes, I'm sure that's why it's persisted.

I think it would be better, though, to recognise the reality that a significant proportion of the population now carry such portable devices, and that enforcement away from a known home/business location is accepted by the BBC to be impossible.

Ultimately, although it's fun (for me), I don't think having these very finely detailed rules helps anyone - that's especially true because TV Licensing sometimes don't understand their own rules or at the margins find them acceptable.
  • bobfredbob
    bobfredbob Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For entertainment I mostly just watch streamed services nowadays.

But, I have two questions if I did cancel the licence.

First, I'm wondering what people do for news? Do they just rely on website/twitter/FB news or are there youtube channels/apps that have spoken/video news similar to nightly news that you can watch on a tv (using AppleTV) without a tv licence and subscription?

Second, I'd like to watch Olympics next year assuming BBC has good coverage again. So, is the licence pro-rata so I can start it a couple of days before the Olympics start and cancel it again after it finishes? So treating it as a subscription service and paying only when I want to use?

Thanks for any help.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 17 July 2019 at 9:11PM
    Options
    bobfredbob wrote: »
    First, I'm wondering what people do for news? Do they just rely on website/twitter/FB news or are there youtube channels/apps that have spoken/video news similar to nightly news that you can watch on a tv (using AppleTV) without a tv licence and subscription?
    If I'm indoors on weekday evenings, I usually watch the ITV news when it arrives on catch-up. It's usually there between 7.30 and 8.30pm. Although it seems "wrong", there usually isn't much difference to the news over the space of an hour or two, especially in the evening when all the politicians are at the ballet. ;)

Similarly, if I'm having a leisurely breakfast time, I'll watch the previous evening's C4 News or ITV News at Ten.

If there's a big news story on-going I sometimes have a look on Youtube for "breaking news" clips, using the created date/time as a guide to how recent they are. There's lots of Youtube news content these days, because radio stations and newspapers all put out video, as well as TV broadcasters.

Second, I'd like to watch Olympics next year assuming BBC has good coverage again. So, is the licence pro-rata so I can start it a couple of days before the Olympics start and cancel it again after it finishes? So treating it as a subscription service and paying only when I want to use?
    Yes, but the Licence runs for whole calendar months. So, for the 2020 Olympics, you'd be paying from the 1st of July to the 31st of August. You need to cancel a few days in advance of the end of the month to avoid being charged for another whole month.

I'd suggest paying by monthly DD, and then you'll have a little more control over payments, although TVL seem to be pretty good in issuing refunds.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I'd suggest paying by monthly DD, and then you'll have a little more control over payments, although TVL seem to be pretty good in issuing refunds.
    Remember that you pay double for the first 6 months if paying by monthly DD, as you're meand to pay for your first licence over 6 months, then pay half the next in advance/half in arrears.

But yes, I got my refund very quickly when I cancelled, and it's still the cheapest way once the refund is issued. And I'm glad to see they now refund for each full month - it was full quarters when I cancelled!
    Cheryl
  • bobfredbob
    bobfredbob Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fantastic, thanks for the info. I hadn't realized news was on ITV Hub catchup. I'll sign up just for that and The Chase. Then, next year, sign-up for the licence for July/August for Olympics, paying double (due to six months) and then cancelling to get a refund of the overpaid two months.

Thanks.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2019 at 9:34PM
    Options
    For news I listen to the radio, read various websites (I don't have twitter of FB) from around the world and couple of times a week I buy a newspaper.

I stopped watching news long before I didn't have a TV.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 July 2019 at 9:17AM
    Options
    I've paid my TV licence for 32 years, completely automatically and without thought - just as I pay my tax and council tax, never questioning it - a scenario probably true in 99% of housholds ... but recently I became less comfortable with paying the licence fee due to lots of issues (listed below) so looked at the facts of the licence in this modern age....

Technological changes over the last few years have made being non-licenced completely workable and entirely legal, only needing small changes in viewing habits like no live broadcasts or iplayer use (all we needed to do was substitute our PVR use with online catch-up - easy!). Its only myself and my wife who needed to change how we view content - my sons were already 'licence free' in the way they viewed - I suspect the majority of young people maybe paying without needing to if my sons are typical?

I sat back and thought, the days of sticking to a broadcasters scheduled are now over - content is on demand and users watch when it suits them. We've had the middleway here with the PVR recording programs and us watching later, but the huge amount of online content now makes even this outdated (and thus licence free!).

The BBC licence has been overtaken and can't cope with the digital age and relies on 'its the law' mantra to keep its income high. Even after the fact its easy to be licence free AND legal it still assumes if you dont have a licence you are 'probably' a law breaker, and this is something now engrained into society (certainly the older generation). Tell a 70 year old you don't have a TV licence and they will probably call the police!

My wife struggled for months once we were licence free, being anxious and scared of the letters and possible visits - she felt like a criminal even though she was doing nothing wrong - the BBC have done a good job over the years thats for sure!

A nation of people with historic attitudes to the BBC like my wife keep the BBC licence fee running. So many times I see misleading views such as 'you have a TV therefore its the law to have a licence' from people - true in the 80's when a TV did one thing only and the idea of catchup was limited to VHS!

When I was at work many years ago i remember a conversation about the licence - we were discussing for and against, and there was a distint view that if you didnt pay the licence you were a low life evader who deserved everything you get - licence 'evasion' was seen how smoking is today .... it would be interesting to get an update on this conversation today!

I'd suggest to anyone to have think about it - could you be licence free for a small change in your viewing habits? If you were able to be licence free then you could help the BBC move into the 21st century by looking at modern funding methods such as subscription... wouldn't you feel better knowing you're not paying to listen to Gary Lineker's political views?

I thought it best change my habits and stop paying, as if I continued to pay it would mean I accept the licence is relevant and fair, and that isn't the case anymore. We've had to wait for technology to catch-up to give us a means of being licence free!

The average age of the BBC1/2 viewer is in their 60's, so the clock is definately ticking on the licence as we know it!

My top BBC gripes are:

The licence itself is non-sensical. If you read it word for word it has some very odd terms such as if you have a licence you can't plug in your tablet or phone to the mains when viewing content when away from the home - how silly is that? Why should you have to have licence if you view live foreign satellite (this doesnt even use any BBC funded infastructure)?

With their guarenteed income stream, the BBC have no restraint on their wage bill and don't seem to know what 'talent' is. Gary Linekar as an example of both.

The BBC should be unbiased, including its presenters, but does have a politcal slant to its reporting and its employees openly give their opinion in breach of these guidelines. Brexit as an example.

The over 75's debacle. Awful decision to withdraw the free licence of the most vulnerable in our society who have contributed the most. Criminalising OAP's does not show sound management. Can you just imagine how terrified these pensioners will be when they are visited by the 'Outreach teams' knocking on their door?

Outrageuous expenditure. The BBC's bill for taxis/newspapers and other 'small' items is a complete scandal in its own right.

The BBC is trying to compete with commercial stations, forgetting its core value of public service broadcaster of quality programmes.

The number of repeats on the BBC is increasing. How many times should we pay for the same content?

The quality of BBC content is decreasing (some exceptions, but these are now getting rare). 'Homes under the hammer' and other 'brain dead' content are taking over the schedule. It seems to be a race to the bottom.

The good historic BBC content is on 'Gold' - forcing you to pay again for content you have already paid for when first aired.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    bobfredbob wrote: »

DAB Radio.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure