PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ground floor flat next to bin and cycle storage

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would walk away personally.
    The fact that other people don't like the noise/mess/smell means you're going to find it harder to sell even if it's not an issue for you.

If they have nothing else in that block I'd look elsewhere.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bin strikes! Not exactly unheard of, likely to be more common in the future economic "success".

Three weeks worth? Ten? Combined with the zombie apocalypse, it's really not worth considering, whatever low charges the property comes with.

It's a "NO" from me!
  • rae123
    rae123 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    In my flat the wall where the lift is isn't anywhere near the bedroom, but you can still hear it whenever someone goes past our floor (which isn't often due to being on the 15th floor). It's not enough to keep us awake at night but if our bedroom was right next to the lifts I think it'd be a different story. The bin room (with pincode entry) isn't really an issue for us due to our apartment being so high, but even when you go into the bin room it doesn't really smell THAT bad.
  • becky170
    Options
    My old ground floor flat was next to the bin store and bike shed. We never had any problems with smell or noise from people using either facility. Guess it depends on the development!
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • Lunchbox
    Options
    OP - we live in a new build flat also with bin store and key fob similar to the situation you are describing. I wouldn't like to live on the ground floor - in the summer the bin store and all surrounding areas including the communal ground floor corridors STINK of bins and are swarming with massive flies.

Same here. We live high up so have no problems, but the bin stores (brick built, part of building) and their vicinity smell absolutely terrible in warm weather. The bins are collected every week, they have lids, and the room is also washed out every week, but I wouldn't want to be living to the side or top of them. They have ventilated doors which let the smell out, and are also full of flies and I would imagine attract rats. There's no way I would be able to live near them, having windows open in summer would be more intolerable than the heat from keeping them closed.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's also the situation where someone has gone to the bin store,having misplaced or forgotten to take the key so will knock on your door to borrow one.
  • Dorian1958
    Options
    OP, the issues that are being red flagged here will be the same ones going through a prospective purchasers mind when it is time for you to sell it - how easy do you think that will be?
  • freeisgood
    Options
    Arn't most councils switching to refuse collection every other week? Summer heat would make it stink. Also just the idea of sleeping/living next to a tonne of refuse, wall or not, would put me off.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it depends a bit what your other options are.

For the bin/bike store, think about where the windows are - if it is on the other side of a wall and you have no windows there, then smell probably won't be major issue, but do look at what the ventilation arrangements are and whether smell, flies or rats might be issues.

Noise may be an issue. Bins being collected / emptied, and people using the store. Think about where the bedrooms are, and also how sensitive each of you is to noise.What's the route from the bin store to where ever they need to be to be collected? Are you going to have a lot of noise with bins being brought in and out, are they likely t be left outside your windows when waiting to be emptied, etc.

For me, the lift would be a similar concern - noise (I always ask for rooms away from the lifts when I stay in hotels, as lifts do make a noise, people tend to talk while waiting for them etc)

Also - consider the service charges. On the ground floor you won't be making use of the lift, but I doubt you get a reduction in the service charge as a result.

I think if it were me, I would be looking very closely at those issues, and at what other properties might be available as alternatives, and decide whether this flat has advantages which outweigh these disadvantages. You may decide that location / price / other amenities make it worth being by the bin store.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • bmlynch92
    Options
    Walked away from that one and are now taking our time over the next one. There are still some desirable flats left in the development, thanks for all the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure