A few questions about ryan air flight.

2»

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    photome wrote: »
    I also didn’t think aerosols were banned from checked bags

I've never flown on Ryanair, but I've had aerosols in my hold luggage on every flight I've ever taken.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 1:25PM
    How exciting to be off on holiday abroad for the first time!:)

I'll answer from my experience but I've only travelled twice with Ryanair. Mostly we've used other airlines for convenience of the airports.

Ashpilk wrote: »
    Afternoon everyone.

Im having my first holiday abroad next month and ive a few questions that needs answering if you dont mind. We are flying ryan air and have paid for a hold bag and paid for our seats so we can sit together. I understand their luggage rules where i can take 2 items of hand luggage but the bigger 10kg case will be put in the hold for free.

Sometimes they take your big hand luggage into the hold, sometimes not. It depends how full the lockers are. Either way you won't pay.

1, i take medication and get it every tuesday in a dossette box. We fly on a wednesday and return the wednesday after around 11pm. Would the chemist be able to give me an extra 2 days medication or will i have to make an appointment to see my doctor?.

There must be a reason (often safety) for having a weekly prescription so the pharmacist may not be able to over ride it. I'd check this out ASAP in case it takes a while to get a GP appointment.

2, i buy cheap cigs here, would i be able to take a sleeve with me on holiday in my bag? Or will i have to buy them there?

By a sleeve I take it you mean a 200 pack carton? I'd be a bit careful if you mean by 'cheap' that they've fallen off the back of a lorry!:rotfl: Otherwise, it's your choice. What you need to be aware of is that any cigarettes you take out with you and don't smoke will count in your allowance coming back. It's not an issue in Europe but if you go outside Europe (like Turkey) then you're limited to 200 per person on return.

3, we have paid for a hold bag, can i shove all my toiletries in there instead of re bottleing them into 100ml containers?.

Definitely. Unless it's something you want on the flight then put it in your hold luggage.

4, im flying ryan air, what do i need to pack in my hand luggage apart from 100ml toiletries. Can electrical things go in my hand luggage, are they any rukes as what what to pack in either carry on or hold luggage?.

If they're in your hold luggage then you won't need them in hand luggage. Electrical things in your hand luggage is fine but personally I'd put as much heavy stuff in hold luggage as possible.

5, it says no flammable things can be packed, what about my cigarette lighter? Would i be better taking matches?.

I'd put your lighter in your pocket and then put it into the tray to go through security check. As you haven't flown before you may not be aware of this. At security, you go through a security arch but your belongings go through separately, in a tray on a conveyor belt. The belongings that go in the tray are especially the metal things like jewellery and often belts and shoes but also outdoor clothes like coats and hats plus all the bits and pieces in your pockets.

6, im also terrified of flying do you have any tips?. As a first time flyer its quite over whelming all the rules etc.

If you're making a GP appointment then it's worth asking advice. Personally I don't have a problem although I do sometimes find myself braking hard on an imaginary foot brake when we land! It's worth it for the choices you can make travelling. Enjoy!

Thank you
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 1:38PM
    Medication wise you need to take a few days extra and a copy of your prescription. So if for any reason you are delayed then you have enough meds for the delay and can show the local pharmacist what you're on if you need more. I'm thinking the unlikely but still possible scenarios where another member of the party has an accident and you don't return when planned. Or just if the flight is delayedx
    It is possible that your pharmacist has a months prescription but delivers weekly to make life easy for you, but it's best to check in time that more can be ordered if needed.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I've never flown on Ryanair, but I've had aerosols in my hold luggage on every flight I've ever taken.

Me too
    but Zagfles post suggests otherwise, although the link I looked at didnt say they were banned
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    eDicky wrote: »
    This ban on lighters is also in your imagination. If Ryanair have such a ban then it is redundant, airlines take no part in airport security checks.

I booked a FlyBE flight last week and matches and lighters were one of the things that is prohibited and you have to tick to confirm that you will not bring them on board.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Me too
    but Zagfles post suggests otherwise, although the link I looked at didnt say they were banned
    That was just a vague memory (as said ISTR), I never take them these days so haven't checked the rules on them for ages (probably decades!).
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I booked a FlyBE flight last week and matches and lighters were one of the things that is prohibited and you have to tick to confirm that you will not bring them on board.
    zagfles wrote: »
    That was just a vague memory (as said ISTR), I never take them these days so haven't checked the rules on them for ages (probably decades!).

When I last flew about 2 months ago, you could take a lighter on your person. Obviously it couldn't go through the scanner with you so it went in the tray in my coat pocket.

I didn't realise Flybe had their own rules but I've not flown with them recently. They fly out of my local airport but prices tend to make it worthwhile driving to Gatwick.:(
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    zagfles wrote: »

I had no idea what ISTR meant, thanks for clearing that up.

I don’t think aerosols have ever been banned from checked bags
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    I had no idea what ISTR meant, thanks for clearing that up.
    I seem to remember (but guess you've googled it!)
    I don!!!8217;t think aerosols have ever been banned from checked bags
    Just looked that up as well, it's OK if it's non flammable & non toxic, but many aerosols use flammable propellant - see

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Baggage/Items-that-are-allowed-in-baggage/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Aerosol_propellants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport